Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

"No Plans" for Max Payne 3 Demo

Rockstar Games tweets about plans for a sample of their upcoming third-person shooter sequel, or lack thereof: "There are no plans for a demo of Max Payne 3." Thanks GameSpot.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: "No Plans" for Max Payne 3 Demo Apr 11, 2012, 09:52 Ant

No demo? No buy from me. I need a playable sampler first.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Apr 11, 2012, 09:44 fatguy

As much as Im looking forward to this game I cant help but think a short demo wont be released because itll be 1/3rd of the total campaign length.  

22. Re: Apr 11, 2012, 07:01 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 01:54:
Wonder what HL3 will be, then, eh? Yeah, it's got multiplayer, but I'm not convinced it can rely upon old-school multiplayer styles anymore.

I doubt HL3 will be a standard 5-hour SP experience. It will likely be around 20 hours and have a fair amount of gameplay variety, as the previous games did (something that can't really be said of most shooters these days). If any shooter could get away with being completely linear and scripted, it would be HL3.

As much as I agree with your last line, I don't think Valve would ever be happy doing what they've always done (or what everyone else does.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Apr 11, 2012, 01:54 Jerykk

Wonder what HL3 will be, then, eh? Yeah, it's got multiplayer, but I'm not convinced it can rely upon old-school multiplayer styles anymore.

I doubt HL3 will be a standard 5-hour SP experience. It will likely be around 20 hours and have a fair amount of gameplay variety, as the previous games did (something that can't really be said of most shooters these days). If any shooter could get away with being completely linear and scripted, it would be HL3.

20. Re: Apr 10, 2012, 18:10 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 01:01:
I wonder how well MP3 will actually sell. It will almost inevitably be short, linear and scripted and games like that haven't been selling very well as of late (and no, CoD doesn't count because its multiplayer is the primary selling point).

Yeah, you saw a lot of editorials about that in the past, but it seems much more true these days. They cost too much to make and people get too little out of them.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: "No Plans" for Max Payne 3 Demo Apr 10, 2012, 15:39 Trevellian

"No Plans" for me purchasing this game without a Demo.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

18. Re: "No Plans" for Max Payne 3 Demo Apr 10, 2012, 11:33 Jivaro

In today's world of Youtube, speaking only for myself and not automatically assuming everybody else feels the same way, I find a demo isn't all that necessary. A demo that is released before a game is released might encourage me to be an early adopter if it "wows" me, but a game without a demo just means I will have to see it in action, often via video, before I would even consider buying it. Preferably a player video and not a review or company PR video.

Would an actual hands on demo be better? Of course. Do I really need it to make a buying decision? Nope. I am a huge fan of both of the first 2 games, but the marketing videos I have seen so far have not made me very excited about this game. The lack of a demo means that I won't be buying the game day 1, and it will take some pretty good fan videos and reviews to convince me to buy it at all. When I do, and if I do, it will probably be on sale.

Pirating just gives companies torrent numbers to base stupid decisions on, so even if I didn't think of piracy itself as a bad thing (which I do), I wouldn't pirate the game...even if I was only going to "try it out". The last message I want to send to Rockstar is "I stole it because I loved the game but didn't want to pay for it"...and that is exactly what all of these companies seem to believe piracy/torrent numbers indicate. They are wrong, but it is what they choose to believe. Disinterest, simply not buying, pirating, or playing the game at all would send a much stronger, and accurate, message. Never in a billion years will people stop pirating for such a sane reason as that, I know. But I can dream right?

17. Re: Apr 10, 2012, 07:55 Luke

Sepharo wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 01:06:
I wonder how well MP3 will actually sell. It will almost inevitably be short, linear and scripted and games like that haven't been selling very well as of late (and no, CoD doesn't count because its multiplayer is the primary selling point).

It's got a lot of brand recognition even for people who haven't played the first two and of course Rockstar's name won't hurt either.

Sure just like The duke.... i think they are affraid of negative comments on the demo and loosing money that way it will be a console port thats the trend , miss the times when games were made with passion Laugh2

16. Re: Apr 10, 2012, 02:58 Jerykk

Me either.... This isn't a real Max Payne game. It's Rockstar's version of Max Payne = GTA with Max Payne look...

Uh, do you actually know anything about the game? It's not open-world and you don't drive any vehicles. It's not like GTA at all.

15. Re: Apr 10, 2012, 02:20 Capitan

Jackplug wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 01:45:
I didnt like the look of 2nd one, so I cant see my buying the 3rd.
Me either.... This isn't a real Max Payne game. It's Rockstar's version of Max Payne = GTA with Max Payne look...

14. Re: Apr 10, 2012, 01:45 Jackplug

I didnt like the look of 2nd one, so I cant see my buying the 3rd.  

13. Re: Apr 10, 2012, 01:06 Sepharo

It's got a lot of brand recognition even for people who haven't played the first two and of course Rockstar's name won't hurt either.

12. Re: Apr 10, 2012, 01:01 Jerykk

11. Re: Apr 10, 2012, 00:55 Sepharo

JohnBirshire wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 23:00:
I had a computer programming class in High School where all we did was plan GTA2 over the LAN everyday.

For "1st hour" my senior year I was in an online AP class. Basically all 20 of the smart kids got to pick an online college course to take, mine was AP Macroeconomics. A supervisor would sit in the class and grade papers or read magazines as we lanned Wolf:ET every single day. The monitors did not face the supervisor, I guess because it was the first year they got some labs and they didn't know what they were doing. Every now and then the supervisor would look up because someone randomly cursed loudly and they would have to explain that they were frustrated with a problem and apologize.

I never did one bit of work in that class, totally failed and accepted it early on. I had a no homework policy in highschool and still graduated with a 3.3. They don't expect you to use the "AP classes get a grade point up" policy to turn D's to C's and E's to D's. Slack hard.

/ramble
third time telling this story in 7 years, and least detailed

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2012, 01:00.

10. Re: Apr 9, 2012, 23:34 Tony!!!

It's a Rockstar game and it's Max Payne. Nuff said. I don't need a demo or to make excuses favoring theft.  
-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

9. Re: Apr 9, 2012, 23:22 NKD

"No Plans" for me buying anything Rockstar shovels at us.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

8. Re: "No Plans" for Max Payne 3 Demo Apr 9, 2012, 23:00 JohnBirshire

I had a computer programming class in High School where all we did was plan GTA2 over the LAN everyday.  

7. Re: Apr 9, 2012, 22:54 fawker

zero day DLC is assured, however  

6. Re: Apr 9, 2012, 21:36 nin

KTR wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 20:21:
I am not surprised. I don't even recall the last R* game that had a demo.

I think there was a demo for GTA 1 or 2?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: "No Plans" for Max Payne 3 Demo Apr 9, 2012, 21:24 Blackhawk

There have been three periods of demos. The 90s through the early 2000s were the era of the free demo. Every game had one, and they begged people to try them out as a way to introduce their new game to the public.

The mid 2000s saw the worst trend - demos used as incentives. This period saw companies offering access to demos as incentives to pre-order, as rewards for registering and so on. Instead of them trying to get us to play their demos, they actually had gamers essentially paying to be advertised to.

The last four or five years, though, has seen the demise of the demo. They are the exception rather than the rule, unless you're talking indie. For mainstream titles it is more remarkable when there IS a demo than when there isn't. 'No demo' is the default answer these days.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo