Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 11, 2012, 09:51 Ant

Nighthawk wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 22:23:
Anyone remember Total Annihilation, when the idle development team was working on new units, and giving them away every week...because (filling in the blanks here) when you purchase their game, you're allowing them to keep their job.
I miss the old days even though I didn't like TA.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 10, 2012, 09:51 NKD

Xoxotl wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 09:17:
NKD wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 23:59:
DLC is going to continue to be an issue for triple-A titles because the cost of development increases while the retail price of a game is decreasing (after inflation is taken into account.) Indie games can make their games more affordably with less money lost to the middle-men, so it's not a big deal there.

Nah. I can't accept this explanation. I'm pretty sure triple-A titles like ME3 are making metric buttloads of profit for EA/Bioware. But they're gonna try to nickle-and-dime you on DLC whenever they can. There simply is no excuse for day zero on-the-disc DLC being a extra paid SKU.

I'm willing to bet that indie developers don't even come close to the total profit margin per copies sold that the big publishers do with triple-A high profile titles.

Sure, triple-A titles make a lot of profit. Total profit. The margins on the other hand aren't nearly as awesome as what indie's can get. Indie developers have much higher margins because they have much lower costs, and fewer middle-men. Even selling their titles at $10-15 they have better margins than triple-A titles at $60. A team of 4 people over 2 years pulling in, say, a modest $2 million is going to get like a 5x return on investment. Triple-A titles almost never see a 5x ROI, even WITH nickle and diming.

I'm not trying to justify or excuse anything, I'm just pointing out that making a triple-A title isn't some risk-free easy cash-in, nor is it getting any cheaper.

The mathematical truth is that if costs are ever-increasing, those costs WILL have to be passed on to the consumer at some point. No company, no matter how profitable, can justify just eating the increased cost forever.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 10, 2012, 09:17 Xoxotl

NKD wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 23:59:
DLC is going to continue to be an issue for triple-A titles because the cost of development increases while the retail price of a game is decreasing (after inflation is taken into account.) Indie games can make their games more affordably with less money lost to the middle-men, so it's not a big deal there.

Nah. I can't accept this explanation. I'm pretty sure triple-A titles like ME3 are making metric buttloads of profit for EA/Bioware. But they're gonna try to nickle-and-dime you on DLC whenever they can. There simply is no excuse for day zero on-the-disc DLC being a extra paid SKU.

I'm willing to bet that indie developers don't even come close to the total profit margin per copies sold that the big publishers do with triple-A high profile titles.

Don't start anything you can't finish. Preferably to component atoms.

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 9, 2012, 23:59 NKD

If the game you want requires a 75-man dev team and a 2-3 year dev cycle, odds are you're going to see the publisher pulling out all the stops to both cover their costs, and keep their profit margins high enough to not get themselves fired.

If people could be content with smaller 1-5 million dollar projects, they would never have to worry about DLC again. But John Q. Average Retard needs his graphical fluff and massive art teams taking years to churn out art assets.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 9, 2012, 23:17 Tumbler

It's only an ugly truth so long as consumers permit it. Did they ever consider they're losing sales because of those shenanigans? That's right, I'm calling shenanigans!

The DLC mess on consoles is becoming similar to the DRM mess on the pc. Instead of looking forward to a game and what it will offer you have to first look at how they're going to rip you off.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 9, 2012, 22:23 Nighthawk

Anyone remember Total Annihilation, when the idle development team was working on new units, and giving them away every week...because (filling in the blanks here) when you purchase their game, you're allowing them to keep their job.  

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 9, 2012, 20:56 Cutter

It's only an ugly truth so long as consumers permit it. Did they ever consider they're losing sales because of those shenanigans? That's right, I'm calling shenanigans!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo