Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 10, 2012, 14:46 avianflu

Apple will stumble eventually. All giant tech companies do

Apple in particular is ripe for it with the recent change of CEO.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 10, 2012, 10:03 Beamer

Verno wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 09:25:
you guys dont seem to understand the hardware vs software problem.. microsoft isnt selling $2500 laptops by the hundreds per hour

No, I think it's well established that Apple makes lavish profits on its hardware. People are talking about whether Microsoft can regain a foothold through another mobile operating system iteration and I think the answer has to be no, they are simply too late to market with it.

I do think that eventually Apple is going to make a serious dent in Microsoft's traditional business strongholds though.

I think there's room for a third player, and it certainly isn't RIM anymore. Whether that room actually materializes is an interesting question, but it would be a shame for there to be only two players. WP7 is very nice, but supposedly not as easy to port to (way to go, Microsoft) and doesn't quite strike the right balance between the idiot-proofness of iOS and the need-a-lot-of-know-how-to-un-ugly-it of Android.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 10, 2012, 09:25 Verno

you guys dont seem to understand the hardware vs software problem.. microsoft isnt selling $2500 laptops by the hundreds per hour

No, I think it's well established that Apple makes lavish profits on its hardware. People are talking about whether Microsoft can regain a foothold through another mobile operating system iteration and I think the answer has to be no, they are simply too late to market with it.

I do think that eventually Apple is going to make a serious dent in Microsoft's traditional business strongholds though.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 10, 2012, 09:20 space captain

apple will stay richer than the USA fed reserve, and they will continue to get richer, and eventually they will own millions of people and the governments they consist of.. just like blade runner

Go forth, and kill!

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 10, 2012, 09:17 Verno

admittedly a weak position in the mobile market but one they could claw into with good marketing and developer backing. Everything I've heard about Windows Phone 7 is very positive and a lot of people will probably be looking to dump Android soon if that mess continues as it is. Microsoft is not exactly the underdog here.

Have to disagree with all of this. Developers are weary of Windows phone and rightly so after numerous MS attempts and retreats from the mobile market. Most developers are happy with iOS and are having a hard enough time making apps for two stores, let alone three. Microsoft is the underdog, even RIM has a larger mind/market share. The consumer is totally unaware of Windows 7 Phone, it's simply too late to the party and Microsoft hasn't done competent marketing in years and rarely ever to the mobile target markets.

The Android market is a fragmented mess on purpose, that's kind of what happens when you have many different disparate handsets at varying levels of tech capability. Google made the right play and went for overall market share and frankly the Play store has way more apps than most people could ever want as it is. The carriers make more money on Android phones and are tiring of subsidizing Apples profits with the iPhone. Microsoft isn't really well poised to exploit this either.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 10, 2012, 08:21 Parallax Abstraction

Can Microsoft come back...the #1 desktop operating system in the world by far, #1 Office suite, #1 non-Wii console, #1 server OS, admittedly a weak position in the mobile market but one they could claw into with good marketing and developer backing. Everything I've heard about Windows Phone 7 is very positive and a lot of people will probably be looking to dump Android soon if that mess continues as it is. Microsoft is not exactly the underdog here. Once the hipster fashion trend that is driving Apple's current unsustainable hypergrowth flattens out and their growth gets realistic, Microsoft will still have work to do but they're far from needing to "come back" from anything.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 9, 2012, 21:04 Cutter

All these other companies should be in the spotlight too. Apple is the current 900lb gorrilla in this market though so it's fair that the bullseye is on them first. There's no reason why a company that's making as much money as they do shouldn't be doing all their employing domestically. Time to get back to fair trade instead of free trade.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

2. Re: Can Microsoft Come Back: Dan Lyonsís Month Without Apple and Google. Apr 9, 2012, 21:01 Cutter

jimnms wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 20:03:
The verdict? Microsoft is making some really nice products these days. What it still canít do is tie all these products into a single, well-integrated ecosystem.
Last time they tried that, they got sued.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that all about IE?

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

1. Can Microsoft Come Back: Dan Lyonsís Month Without Apple and Google. Apr 9, 2012, 20:03 jimnms

The verdict? Microsoft is making some really nice products these days. What it still canít do is tie all these products into a single, well-integrated ecosystem.
Last time they tried that, they got sued.

MeanJim on Steam

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo