Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

Link of the Day: Titanic SUPER 3D. Thanks nin.

R.I.P.: Computer Legend and Gaming Pioneer Jack Tramiel Dies at Age 83. Thanks Joao.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Into the Black Apr 10, 2012, 00:10 Cutter

nin wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 21:34:
Cutter wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 21:07:
I'll never understand the draw of all this Titanic nonsense. It was just a friggin' ship that went down like countless thousands before it. Just because it was called unsinkable doesn't make it anything special.

This ones for you, Cutter - an oldie but a goodie:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/april-16-1912,10645/

Lol, thanks, dude. So true.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Into the Black Apr 9, 2012, 22:44 ASeven

Tom wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 22:07:
Great book - I couldn't put it down - but it sure felt like it must've been pushing things a bit. Peddle was painted as a god. I wonder if that got revised any for the second book.

In a way he was, the 6502 he invented is probably on the top 3 most important and influential chips in computing history. Though I do agree that the tone was bit too sanctified. Still, it was a most interesting read and it is sad that Tramiel destroyed him.

6. Re: Into the Black Apr 9, 2012, 22:07 Tom

RIP Tramiel indeed. I got my start on a VIC-20. Also read that author's prior book, "On the Edge: the Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore". Great book - I couldn't put it down - but it sure felt like it must've been pushing things a bit. Peddle was painted as a god. I wonder if that got revised any for the second book.

The engineering stories were amazing. Designing complex chips by hand without using computers and having them work (or nearly work) on the first try... Many good stories, and it left me sad to realize that so many important parts of history are simply lost because nobody was able or willing to preserve and distribute the information.

5. Re: Into the Black Apr 9, 2012, 21:34 nin

Cutter wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 21:07:
I'll never understand the draw of all this Titanic nonsense. It was just a friggin' ship that went down like countless thousands before it. Just because it was called unsinkable doesn't make it anything special.

This ones for you, Cutter - an oldie but a goodie:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/april-16-1912,10645/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Into the Black Apr 9, 2012, 21:07 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Into the Black Apr 9, 2012, 21:02 Rattlehead

I got dibs on the gold sword he kept from the Swordquest contest  

2. Re: Into the Black Apr 9, 2012, 19:49 ASeven

RIP Tramiel. This man has done more for the hardware and gaming industry than 99% of people that worked there, I even dare to say he has done more than Jobs ever did. Tramiel made computers for the masses and thanks to him everyone got their hands on a Vic-20 or a C64. He also ruined people's lives but damn he knew how to direct a business. Commodore wouldn't have happened without him and the gaming world and computer world would be a lot less if he hadn't existed. One of the true legends died Sunday and yet nobody will remember him unlike Jobs who didn't do half what this man did.

Anyone interested in the Commodore history from a technological, economical and historical point of view should get A Company On The Edge, it is one of the greatest books ever made about computer history. It is also a book hated by Apple fanboys because the book puts a lot of facts straight and debunks a lot of the shitty revisionism Apple has been doing the last decade. While the AppleII was struggling in sales the Vic-20 and C64 sold about 100x more in volume. In fact Jobs came to Tramiel to have Apple bought by Commodore in its early days but Tramiel denied. Wonder how the world would be today if Tramiel had said yes on that day.

1. Re: Into the Black Apr 9, 2012, 19:37 AnointedSword

He is a believer...  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo