Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GTA5 in October?

Alexander O'Dwyer's LinkedIn Profile and a now deleted C.V. each apparently offered an October release window for Grand Theft Auto V. Whether this is accurate or not, it was quickly remedied, as the details for this Rockstar North character animator no longer mention the next installment in the open-world action series at all. Thanks Joystiq.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 10, 2012, 14:34 eRe4s3r

Well obviously, unless I suddenly became the hive overmind i do not expect it to be any different. But from people I know i would say very few actually liked *playing* GTA IV ;p

And while technically there is very little to complain, the game itself was BAD when put in relation to the fun I had (And i loved previous GTA's, but GTA IV is a chore like bringing out the trash or cleaning windows, not a fun game to me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 10, 2012, 13:48 nin

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 12:29:
Because good reviews make a fun game?

Was GTA IV fun to you? If so I have some house chores you might enjoy too. ^^

Different people like different things. When you say it was "a terrible game", a number of reviews (and players) would disagree with you.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

34. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 10, 2012, 12:29 eRe4s3r

Because good reviews make a fun game?

Was GTA IV fun to you? If so I have some house chores you might enjoy too. ^^

33. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 10, 2012, 11:25 nin

GTAIV was a terrible game and it confuses me how anyone can still like this gameplay concept.

Oh yeah, it was clearly horrible game which no one liked.

32. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 10, 2012, 11:17 eRe4s3r

Agreed, GTAIV was a terrible game and it confuses me how anyone can still like this gameplay concept. They really need to do a proper combat system and proper (non mini-game annoyance) character interaction - Dynamic choices in dialog would go a long way there.

It's equally confusing when you look at how much fun Prototype or Saints Row was, these games learned the lessons GTA refuses to learn for nearly 4 games now.

31. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 23:39 cronik

nin wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 10:48:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME GET WHAT I WANT!!!!!!!!

LAST NIGHT I DREAMT THAT SOMEBODY LOVED ME!!!!!!!!

30. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 19:20 jacobvandy

DG wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 18:36:
Same engine? :/ Maybe things were improved on a decent PC over the 360 (not from what I recall of the commentary around release) but...

What annoyed me about IV was how blurred everything was a very short distance away, like Niko needed glasses.

On top of that the console/engine often felt pushed just beyond it's limits, so you get this laggy feel. Not long after I was playing Burnout Paradise, which is a kind of racing game in an open city but graphics are really sharp with a good view distance and it runs very smoothly at 60fps. Of course there's a lot less for the engine to deal with (no people, for one) but one of the main things I remember about it was how utterly awful the feel of GTA was compared to this.

As per your last paragraph, you answered your own question? GTA is not a plain old driving game with ghost cars wandering around. There is so much simulation going on with the people, the combat, physics, and WAY more graphical detail than Burnout: Paradise... It's very CPU-limited, in fact you'd probably see your FPS double if you upgrade from say a Core 2 Duo to Sandy Bridge.

And the blurriness (which you can toggle off with a key press, btw) is just a cheap way they came up with to hide jaggies on consoles. They're not a big deal if you're running at a high resolution, 1080p or higher, but if you've got a PC that is up to snuff, I've heard of tweaks and mods that either change the rendering to allow AA or just run the game at like double the resolution to simulate AA with downsampling.

29. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 19:19 Mordecai Walfish

DG wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 18:36:
Same engine? :/ Maybe things were improved on a decent PC over the 360 (not from what I recall of the commentary around release) but...

What annoyed me about IV was how blurred everything was a very short distance away, like Niko needed glasses.

On top of that the console/engine often felt pushed just beyond it's limits, so you get this laggy feel. Not long after I was playing Burnout Paradise, which is a kind of racing game in an open city but graphics are really sharp with a good view distance and it runs very smoothly at 60fps. Of course there's a lot less for the engine to deal with (no people, for one) but one of the main things I remember about it was how utterly awful the feel of GTA was compared to this.

There was a blur filter in use on console versions, I believe this is what you are talking about. You can (and should) turn it off in the PC version. Things look *much* better this way.

Also, you are correct that the console releases had notorious amounts of input lag, tested to be over 100ms IIRC. A modern PC is the only way to do IV any justice, IMO.

28. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 18:36 DG

27. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 18:04 Mordecai Walfish

deqer wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 17:50:
Something about being stuck in the past.. "Blah Blah"

Great then, you have no need for future entries in the series with a great game like Vice City there! Enjoy =*

If that's what you're looking for, there are other games that will give you the superior 1:1 mouse control you desire. GTA omitted this in the RAGE engine for obvious design choices, and obviously your 1:1 mouse movement was not a concern of theirs (or mine.)

26. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 17:50 deqer

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 16:52:
deqer wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 15:28:
Gee, I dunno. Is it going to use the same shitty engine as GTA4, where my player can't turn as fast as I turn my mouse? No? Okay, not interested.

1:1 mouse movement? Perhaps try Saint's Row if that's what you're looking for
Why? Works fine in Vice City. And why the hell would I want to aim a shooter with a joystick? ... and I don't mind keyboard for racing, I'm pretty pro at tapping the keys and weaving in and out of lanes in between cars at high speeds, sharp e-break turns, etc. etc.

I guess I'll just keep playing Vice City then. Such a blast. Best one in the franchise.

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 16:52:
Yakubs wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 15:35:
It's not fun anymore to:

a) Watch a cutscene
b) Drive from point A to point B
c) Watch another cutscene
d) Shoot a couple guys in a bad combat engine
e) Drive from point B to point C

Repeat x 100.

Sorry but if this is all you do in GTA games, ... [blah] [blah]

Nah, he's right. Sorry to cut you off, but he nailed part of it right on. Quoting again:
Part of it was the silly mini-games and chores you were required to do but another part is that this gameplay recipe is just stale.

25. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 16:52 Mordecai Walfish

Gee, I dunno. Is it going to use the same shitty engine as GTA4, where my player can't turn as fast as I turn my mouse? No? Okay, not interested.

1:1 mouse movement? this really upsets you in GTA4? First I cant say I've ever played the game with mouse and keyboard, (driving with a gamepad is a much more satisfying experience) but 1:1 movement seems like it would just cheapen the experience. This isnt a twitch shooter you're playing here, there is some degree of realism they are trying to portray, and having your character turn at crackhead speed does not seem to fit in very well. Perhaps try Saint's Row if that's what you're looking for, and notice how much "cheaper" the engine and physics feel overall. Concessions like this have to be made to prevent that.

It's not fun anymore to:

a) Watch a cutscene

Repeat x 100.

Sorry but if this is all you do in GTA games, I'd have to say you're doing it wrong. It's an open world for a number of reasons, and one of those is so you have other options to pursue besides the story-line at all times. I agree GTA4 was lacking in the "other stuff to do" department, but interacting with the environment, vehicles, and npc physics in the game (not to mention parkour elements that were newly possible), and there was some fun to be had with their new engine/game.

I look forward to GTA5 expanding on the engine as san andreas did with the previous one, with many more things to keep you distracted and not feel tied to repeated quest missions if thats not your thing. Maybe I'm just being hopeful, but with San Andreas being their most successful title, and the return to this turf for V, it seems to be headed in that direction =)

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2012, 18:11.

24. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 15:49 Burrito of Peace

Or the same old rinse-repeat formula:

Pick:
Random minority
Bottom dwelling loser
All of the above

Start at:
Near homeless

Tell story of:
Revenge/vendetta

Fill with:
Cliched and/or stereotypical NPCs

Stop game when:
Hackneyed, obvious ending that was seen from the very start of the game is cued.

To make sequel:
See above.

23. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 15:35 Yakubs

Can't say I care about this. GTAIV was really bad. Part of it was the silly mini-games and chores you were required to do but another part is that this gameplay recipe is just stale. It's not fun anymore to:

a) Watch a cutscene

Repeat x 100.

22. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 15:30 Cutter

BTW, did we even ask for another GTA? I mean, do we need this many? By this time we'd already be feeling nostalgia about the previous ones from 10+ years ago, so, we'd rather revisit/play those again than have to shell out more $ and TIME for yet another GTA game. I dunno, guess im rambling a bit too much there.

If you do a GTA5, then do it as good as Vice City. Get some quality, classic, well-known music titles going on in the radio stations, like in Vice City. Wave, Vrock, etc. and don't make the player body stiff when rotating with mouse. Needs to rotate as fast as I move my mouse--don't be a bitch about that stuff, programmers.

I'm always down with some new GTA. I just wish to hell they'd use the PC as the lead platform so we could get a game that actually looks good.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

21. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 15:29 Cutter

nin wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 10:48:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME GET WHAT I WANT!!!!!!!!

SO TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT! WHAT YOU REALLY, REALLY WANT!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

20. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 15:28 deqer

BTW, did we even ask for another GTA? I mean, do we need this many? By this time we'd already be feeling nostalgia about the previous ones from 10+ years ago, so, we'd rather revisit/play those again than have to shell out more $ and TIME for yet another GTA game. I dunno, guess im rambling a bit too much there.

If you do a GTA5, then do it as good as Vice City. Get some quality, classic, well-known music titles going on in the radio stations, like in Vice City. Wave, Vrock, etc. and don't make the player body stiff when rotating with mouse. Needs to rotate as fast as I move my mouse--don't be a bitch about that stuff, programmers.

19. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 14:05 nin

I just care about developers not properly supporting my preferred platform. /shrug

I understand that. And had 4 come out on the PC at the same time, had not included all the additional crap installs (GFMFW, Social Club, etc) and not been a total pig, performance wise, I would have gladly played it on the PC.

But at this point R* seems (for the most part) focused on consoles, so that's where I expect to play it. It's not ideal, but it is what it is.

18. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 13:53 Wildone

ah see I aint gettin my hopes up then till Sept lol  

17. Re: GTA5 in October? Apr 9, 2012, 13:34 baltar

KTR wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 12:04:
Optimistic for an October '12 release. I thought R* loves releasing games on May. My guess is May '13.

They're releasing Max Payne 3 at that time. Rockstar's smart enough not to release MP3 + GTA5 at the same time as it will cannibalize sales.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo