Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions

Analyst outraged by outrage: "I am certain that the ‘fan outrage’ has not hurt sales, and perhaps has helped sales," says Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter. "Unfortunately, appeasing the whiners here will only encourage fans to be even more vocal next time, so the lingering issue is that gamers will feel even more entitled and empowered than they have in the past, and will be even more demanding about changes to future games." Thanks Joao.

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

43. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 16:45 TurdFergasun

just another worthless, drowning corporate bannerman scrambling, and clawing for survival with hyperbole hoping to cling to the lifeboat of public opinion that has been his meal ticket for far too long. fuck this guy. i hope he drowns in all the collective fecal matter he spews from his mouth.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 16:40 Dades

That video is so embarrassingly bad, how does anyone still take that moron seriously?  

41. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 16:10 NegaDeath

So what, his preferred approach is to not listen to the customers? "It's ok guys, you might be selling less product now but at least you didn't appease people. Check with your bank to see if they accept artistic integrity as a mortgage payment."

Adapt or die.

40. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 16:03 Mordecai Walfish

Heaven forbid that the sheep speak up when they feel wronged by an industry they invest heavily in. It's much easier when they just lay still and take the repeated corporate shaftings, no doubt.  

39. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 15:57 Wraith

Why do people bother quoting this fucktard? Pachter never gets anything correct and simply tries to be as controversial as possible to get coverage.

Look, quoting Michael Pachter only encourages him to be more vocal, so the lingering issue is that he'll feel even more entitled and empowered than he has in the past and will be even more deluded when speaking about future games.

38. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 15:42 Cutter

Overon wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 15:34:
Wow that video. What does this guy base his analysis on? It seems to me he is basing his analysis off his personal anecdotes and bias. And some of what he says can be shown to be factually wrong.

If I didn't know any better I would think this guy was some kind pundit who is trying to generate controversy for click/ratings.

Like most "expert" analysts he's guessing, plain and simple. If analysts actuslly knew anything they'd never lose money. It was like that experiment The Economist ran where they asked a bunch of blue collar guys and "expert" analysts to guess where the economy would be in 10 years and the blue collar guys won handily.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

37. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 15:34 Overon

Wow that video. What does this guy base his analysis on? It seems to me he is basing his analysis off his personal anecdotes and bias. And some of what he says can be shown to be factually wrong.

If I didn't know any better I would think this guy was some kind pundit who is trying to generate controversy for click/ratings.

I think Mass Effect 3's endings tarnish the reputation of Bioware. I think Bioware used to have an automatic "buy" for a lot of gamers based on their reputation alone. Valve and Blizzard who would delay games so that they can be sure that they are polished while Bioware can no longer do that now that EA has them in their clutches.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2012, 15:44.

36. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 14:10 MajorD

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 14:03:
I've posted this video here before, but it is worth another look, pretty well sums up Pachter.

http://tinyurl.com/7rpajw2

LOL! That guy couldn’t be a bigger buffoon!!!

35. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 14:09 Verno

eunichron wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 14:01:
I just think it's funny that there is the argument that runs parallel of whether or not video games are art or just a product. If they are art then there is the assumption that the developer is trying to express something through the medium, and thus should not be changed.

You don't really understand the context here then, you're just comparing it as if it were two "sides" or something. Videogames aren't really "art", they are videogames. If you want to call them a form of art then fine. Likewise videogames are not just a business property alone with no other considerations. As in, no its not ok to say that everything is fine as long as its justified as chasing profits. Saying consumer opinion doesn't matter isn't really inaccurate and just sounds dismissive.

But let's go the art route because I said earlier videogames are a form of art. Art is changed all the time and yes sometimes in response to consumer expectations, demands or whatever else you want to call it. This happens in television, movies, radio, etc.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

34. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 14:08 Jivaro

MajorD wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 13:46:
eunichron wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 13:29:
Nucas wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 11:15:
is bioware a business, or isn't it? since when is giving your customer what they want bad business?

Are video games art, or are they not? If they are art then changing your product to appease customers would show a rather large lack of artistic integrity.

If they are not art then I fear a statement such as that only gives legitimacy to EAs business model.

It is an 'Art' that has mostly, and sadly, become tainted and whored out by corporate greed!!!

I was going to say, people keep asking this question, as if art isn't a business. Like somehow the two terms are mutually exclusive. Just like paintings, music, photography, and sculpture are all products and have markets they sell in, so do video games and thus it is a business. I don't believe that because something is labeled a video game that automatically qualifies it as art, but at the same time I believe that by and large, it is an art-form.

There will always be exceptions. Video games like a Dungeon Hunter that are apologetically pure clones don't really fit my personal definition of "art", just like freeware video games can't really be considered part of a business.

33. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 14:03 SpectralMeat

I've posted this video here before, but it is worth another look, pretty well sums up Pachter.

http://tinyurl.com/7rpajw2

Steam: SpectralMeat

32. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 14:01 eunichron

Verno wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 13:37:
Have you played to the end of ME3? It doesn't feel complete, it was obviously rushed and has some serious continuity problems. In fact most of the problems I hear people complaining about have little to do with people wanting "the end changed" in the way he seems to think. It's more about all of the unaddressed issues that were likely cut to shove the game out the door in 24 months.

I haven't actually, I still have yet to finish ME1, which I've had for almost 4 years, and I'm not someone that can play series out of sequence, so I won't touch ME3 until I've finished both ME1 and 2. I don't really have an opinion either way. I just think it's funny that there is the argument that runs parallel of whether or not video games are art or just a product. If they are art then there is the assumption that the developer is trying to express something through the medium, and thus should not be changed. If they are merely a product to be consumed for the sake of profit margins then there is nothing wrong with the business model of day 1 DLC and episodic/yearly releases. Of course, either way, it doesn't matter if we as the consumers like it, but in both situations our opinions don't matter as much as we think they do.

31. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 13:50 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 12:19:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 11:23:
nin wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 11:17:
The fact that gamers call him out on his mistakes when shareholder don't is a little scary...
Shareholders have no interest in the inner workings of this weird gaming market. Thats why they pay people like Pachter to translate into understandable biziness speak, what to expect from a new product or how a publisher will perform in the next six months.

Sure, a lot of shareholders will be burned, but the greed is stronger than everything else. They all look at Zynga and ActiBlizz and their record earnings and high stock price. They know they can make it too!!!

Shareholders know it's all mumbo-jumbo and no one can predict the future, they just want educated opinions. Pachter is kind of thought to be a bit of a clown by many of them because his opinion of his opinions is a bit too high, but he still knows the industry well and is pretty firmly entrenched.

But blaming Pachter for not being 100% accurate is like blaming Obama for Solara and Fisker being risky. If Pachter could 100% predict the future he would not have this job, he'd be a billionaire somewhere.
Plus, it's worth remembering that sites like Blues, Kotaku, etc., cherry pick his dumber comments.

But he's still a douche.

Jesus Christ Beamer, can you stop being such a corporate lapdog for just one day? My god.

30. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 13:46 MajorD

is bioware a business, or isn't it? since when is giving your customer what they want bad business?

Are video games art, or are they not? If they are art then changing your product to appease customers would show a rather large lack of artistic integrity.

If they are not art then I fear a statement such as that only gives legitimacy to EAs business model.

It is an 'Art' that has mostly, and sadly, become tainted and whored out by corporate greed!!!

29. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 13:40 Ozmodan

The best thing to do about Pachter is to completely ignore him. Listening to an idiot's recommendations is just foolhardy.  

28. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 13:38 ASeven

Videogames are videogames, there's nothing more to it than that.

27. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 13:37 Verno

Errr I think there's a middle ground between artistic integrity and profit margins no matter the consequences. Have you played to the end of ME3? It doesn't feel complete, it was obviously rushed and has some serious continuity problems. In fact most of the problems I hear people complaining about have little to do with people wanting "the end changed" in the way he seems to think. It's more about all of the unaddressed issues that were likely cut to shove the game out the door in 24 months.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

26. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 13:36 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 13:28:
Yeah, and that wasn't the topic of your little comic, was it?

Also, just because you bought the game doesn't mean you aren't a whiner. You aren't suddenly a rational, intelligent, credible person just because you spent money.

The difference between "whining" and "criticizing/complaining" is in part how it's done and in part subject matter. Like I said, there's no clear line, but it's usually pretty obvious. Just look at the Epic thread - people saying "This company stabbed me in the back and I'd never buy anything from them!" are whiners. People saying "I don't really trust the statements about PC use from this company based upon their recent track record" are not whining.

Yet both statements made with different emotional charges lead to the same thing, those persons are suspicious of Epic and more than likely won't get the game, making your whole fallacy argument moot. Different ways of expressing something makes not one a whiner. Immature yes but not a whiner.

Also, it was the topic of my little comic yeah, he bought the fucking home and wanted what was in the home already, a second bathroom. And yes, it's a perfect analogy to the shit publishers are doing with their DLC tactics.

Sincerely Beamer you are this site biggest industry apologist but even stretching this argument as you is going far, far into incredibility territory. There's no way for you to support this argument other than what I already agreed with, piracy without buying the game can be a form entitlement sometimes because all other cases with the exception for piracy are valid cases because either the people didn't buy the games and therefore are likely not to buy them or they bought it and are unhappy with them or the way the developers and publishers treated their community. In both cases the customer is right to complain as much as he likes as long as he does in a mature manner so other people actually understands what he's trying to say and often he will give valid points of contention.

25. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 13:29 eunichron

24. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 13:28 Beamer

ASeven wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 13:21:
Beamer wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 13:14:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 12:27:
Beamer wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 12:14:
The entitlement is thinking they're entitled to the game under any circumstances.
Why not? Whats so wrong about that? I have a certain expectation which can be met by offering a certain product matching my expectation. Fine. A sale. Hooray! If not, than no sale. No harm done.

If a company wants my money, they have to offer me something i like. Its easy. DLC crippled games isnt something i want. I'd rather wait for a cheap GotY version. Or i pirate the game. Or not. Maybe i just loose complete interest in it. My descision. And mine alone. And if someone thinks i behave like a spoiled child wanting certain things, than so be it. Especially if this someone is Pachter.

No, the "spoiled child" is "you didn't do everything to my liking, but I demand to play your game, so I'm pirating it."

A normal human being is "you didn't do everything to my liking, so I'm either not buying your game or waiting until the price drops to one I find more reasonable."

And yet you don't mention the problem that we're discussing.

"you didn't do everything to my liking and I bought the damn game."

Yeah, and that wasn't the topic of your little comic, was it?

Also, just because you bought the game doesn't mean you aren't a whiner. You aren't suddenly a rational, intelligent, credible person just because you spent money.

The difference between "whining" and "criticizing/complaining" is in part how it's done and in part subject matter. Like I said, there's no clear line, but it's usually pretty obvious. Just look at the Epic thread - people saying "This company stabbed me in the back and I'd never buy anything from them!" are whiners. People saying "I don't really trust the statements about PC use from this company based upon their recent track record" are not whining.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo