Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions

Analyst outraged by outrage: "I am certain that the ‘fan outrage’ has not hurt sales, and perhaps has helped sales," says Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter. "Unfortunately, appeasing the whiners here will only encourage fans to be even more vocal next time, so the lingering issue is that gamers will feel even more entitled and empowered than they have in the past, and will be even more demanding about changes to future games." Thanks Joao.

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

63. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 10, 2012, 17:31 Dades

Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 12:58:
It's hysterical that "he's a douche" is considered defending a guy.

It's hysterical that you think adding "hes a douche" will make people ignore everything else you said defending him.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

62. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 10, 2012, 12:58 Beamer

Dades wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 08:52:
Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 07:30:
Where would I even get footage for a video?
Listen Dades, this guy makes significantly more money than you do and is friends with damn near everyone in the industry. He shows up at all the conferences and is invited to speak at most of them.

The same place the people who made the first video did. You have no idea how much money I or anyone else here makes, so quit being a cretin. Who really cares? You claimed that he was unjustly accosted by critics but can only produce a single example of it when other people have posted evidence that he doesn't even understand the platforms hes discussing. The fact that hes managed to make a living by ripping off those even less informed than he is doesn't impress anyone.

Who said anything about a grudge either? You're the one with the hardon for defending this empty head. Is there anything you won't defend? The guy barely even seems to have a grasp on anything he discusses, he likely gets most of it from other sources and regurgitating factoids from google.

It's hysterical that "he's a douche" is considered defending a guy.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

61. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 10, 2012, 08:52 Dades

Listen Dades, this guy makes significantly more money than you do and is friends with damn near everyone in the industry. He shows up at all the conferences and is invited to speak at most of them.

The same place the people who made the first video did. You have no idea how much money I or anyone else here makes, so quit being a cretin. Who really cares? You claimed that he was unjustly accosted by critics but can only produce a single example of it when other people have posted evidence that he doesn't even understand the platforms hes discussing. The fact that hes managed to make a living by ripping off those even less informed than he is doesn't impress anyone.

Who said anything about a grudge either? You're the one with the hardon for defending this empty head. Is there anything you won't defend? The guy barely even seems to have a grasp on anything he discusses, he likely gets most of it from other sources and regurgitating factoids from google.

60. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 10, 2012, 08:08 ASeven

He's right a good amount of time.

Let me guess, he's dead wrong here right cos he's predicting a lot of hurt for your beloved industry?

59. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 10, 2012, 08:01 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 23:43:
ASeven: SHILL! THE INDUSTRY IS COLLAPSING! ONLY 2D GAMES MADE BY 4 PEOPLE ARE FUN! SHILL!

LOL, guess I touched a nerve if you descend into this level of immaturity. Then again, you are this board's biggest industry apologist so I expect all kind of immaturity coming from you.

BTW rather funny you keep affirming the industry is healthy when the numbers keep getting worse month after month, year after year. You're the three monkeys, mute, blind and deaf, rolled into one.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2012, 08:17.

58. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 10, 2012, 07:30 Beamer

Dades wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 07:02:
Please make a video showing all of these supposedly correct predictions because the unfair media only shows his wrong ones.

No? Ok then.

He's right a good amount of time.

That shouldn't surprise you, as even people here that follow this as a hobby are right a good amount of time.

Only an idiot would assume he's wrong more often than not.
But fine, here's what Pachter said about August 2011 software sales:
Despite a relatively easy comp of down 14%, we expect negative software sales growth to continue in August due to a late Madden launch (on August 30, three weeks after its customary release date due to the NFL lockout, and outside the close of the NPD retail calendar for August) and a very weak release slate. Madden sales totaled $115 million last year, so without the delay, our forecast calls for only a slightly down month.
And here's what August 2011 software sales did

Jesus, dude, some of you carry such weird blinder grudges. You just jump on irrational bandwagons of hatred. And I'm not saying that disliking or mocking Pachter is irrational, but to think he's never correct and that gaming sites, particularly Blue, don't enjoy posting his weird predictions is beyond irrational.

-------------

57. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 10, 2012, 07:02 Dades

Please make a video showing all of these supposedly correct predictions because the unfair media only shows his wrong ones.

No? Ok then.

56. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 23:43 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 19:48:
I guess you're going to have to call him a mega-douche next time Beamer.

Beamer: Michael Pachter is definitely a douche, but in fairness we only see the stupid things he says, as the media doesn't cover the other things, and no one expects him to be right 100% of the time so holding him to failed prophecies isn't really fair. But he's a jackass that says lots of stupid shit
ASeven: SHILL! THE INDUSTRY IS COLLAPSING! ONLY 2D GAMES MADE BY 4 PEOPLE ARE FUN! SHILL!

-------------

55. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 21:32 ASeven

Cutter wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 21:10:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 16:51:
nin wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 11:17:
His comments aren't meant for gamers. They're meant for shareholders.

The fact that gamers call him out on his mistakes when shareholder don't is a little scary...

Well, gamers care about great product. Shareholders care about profits. These things aren't necessarily congruent, as Michael Bay has demonstrated time and time again. In fact, it's quite expensive to implement fan input. It's an entire extra stakeholder group whose views must be taken into account, requirements gathered, proposals developed, implemented, tested, and delivered. And while it results in happy fans and a higher quality more interesting product (if done right) it also results in less profit, as the game became more expensive as a result.

Yes, but shareholders stand to make or lose money on solid information. One of those key things that Asspacker doesn't provide. I'd wager anyone investing according to the whims of that clown has lost more money than they'll ever make.

Some of his clients include Bobby Kotick and John S. Riccitiello, or rather, Activision and EA, just sayin'. You can guess what that means to the whole industry.

54. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 21:10 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 16:51:

The fact that gamers call him out on his mistakes when shareholder don't is a little scary...

Well, gamers care about great product. Shareholders care about profits. These things aren't necessarily congruent, as Michael Bay has demonstrated time and time again. In fact, it's quite expensive to implement fan input. It's an entire extra stakeholder group whose views must be taken into account, requirements gathered, proposals developed, implemented, tested, and delivered. And while it results in happy fans and a higher quality more interesting product (if done right) it also results in less profit, as the game became more expensive as a result.

Yes, but shareholders stand to make or lose money on solid information. One of those key things that Asspacker doesn't provide. I'd wager anyone investing according to the whims of that clown has lost more money than they'll ever make.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

53. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 20:50 Prez

Ah, the old "say something outlandish and insulting" ploy - such a tried and true tactic for remaining relevant and in the headlines. So sad Mike - you are as woefully pathetic as you are transparent.

Reading his interview is an exercise in frustration - he's wrong on so many points it would be a shorter list to just point out where he's right. All in all, Pachter remains a laughable footnote unworthy of even a fraction of the attention he gets from his forced and phony controversialism.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2012, 20:57.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

52. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 20:12 007Bistromath

Huh. This is a perfect example of how hostile it can be to simply quote somebody out of context.

My first reaction: "oh woo. Some corporate cheesedick who doesn't play games thinks he's qualified to say shit because lots of money is involved. Love this shit."

I read the article: "weird... this makes sense. And... yeah, he's just continuing to make sense. Okay, cool, doing something else now. Not in the mood to watch somebody boring make sense."

51. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 19:48 Sepharo

I guess you're going to have to call him a mega-douche next time Beamer.  

50. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 19:00 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 17:59:

I swear, Beamer here could be the perfect shill, he really has all it takes to be so and I've met some good shills in my line of work but Beamer here is a natural shill even if he is not a paid one.

49. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 18:20 Dev

eunichron wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 16:52:
But even in the case of TV, movies, or radio you'd never get someone to retroactively change a television show or song.
Endings DO get changed. They get changed when they test market a movie, and the viewers universally despite it, often the endings will get changed. And when the DVD comes out with an alternate ending, thats usually how you can tell that happened.

48. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 17:59 Beamer

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 13:50:
Beamer wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 12:19:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 11:23:
Shareholders have no interest in the inner workings of this weird gaming market. Thats why they pay people like Pachter to translate into understandable biziness speak, what to expect from a new product or how a publisher will perform in the next six months.

Sure, a lot of shareholders will be burned, but the greed is stronger than everything else. They all look at Zynga and ActiBlizz and their record earnings and high stock price. They know they can make it too!!!

Shareholders know it's all mumbo-jumbo and no one can predict the future, they just want educated opinions. Pachter is kind of thought to be a bit of a clown by many of them because his opinion of his opinions is a bit too high, but he still knows the industry well and is pretty firmly entrenched.

But blaming Pachter for not being 100% accurate is like blaming Obama for Solara and Fisker being risky. If Pachter could 100% predict the future he would not have this job, he'd be a billionaire somewhere.
Plus, it's worth remembering that sites like Blues, Kotaku, etc., cherry pick his dumber comments.

But he's still a douche.

Jesus Christ Beamer, can you stop being such a corporate lapdog for just one day? My god.

Of all my posts in this very topic this is the one you take offense to? I don't see what's lapdogging at all here. At all. Because I'm saying Pachter couldn't be expected to be right 100% of the time and that it's stupid to expect such? That the media tends to jump on his wrong statements and ignore his right ones so that we really have no clue how accurate he is?

What part of that do you wish to disagree with?

Anyway, to all you "listen to the consumer!" people, I still disagree. You need to be very, very careful about which consumer you listen to. What you guys usually mean is "listen to me, all those other people are stupid!" When Hollywood listens to the consumer we get Transformers. If they did it more often they'd have recut Drive to be Four Fast Six Furious.
Often the consumer, and the most vocal consumer, is an idiot.

As illustrated here.

Don't any of you work in web design? I thought the idiocy of the consumer in that area was pretty well documented.

Why listening to your customer can be a very bad thing

-------------

47. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 16:55 Jivaro

I think that is why Blue does post Pachter quotes...so in turn we can show just how absolutely disconnected he is from actual customers and how much of his "analysis" is bullshit.

That video link was pretty funny. I particularly like the "A PS3 is more powerful then..." line. Mainly because when he tries to defend it later he uses statistics like "it's more powerful then 85% of the PCs out there". Dude, if you had said that in the first place...even if it is a number pulled out of your ass...at least it might be closer to factually correct. To tell anyone that an XBOX 360 or a PS3 is more powerful then any PC out there, even 5-6 years ago...it goes further then lieing. It is so incredibly inaccurate that it makes me believe that every word he says is bought off.

I mean, we may be generous when we call him an idiot. It seems to me that it is far more likely that what he says is well funded. Paid for advertising disguised as market analysis.

46. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 16:52 ASeven

Dades wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 16:40:
That video is so embarrassingly bad, how does anyone still take that moron seriously?

You see, this is the problem with us analysts, most people don't hear us except the powerful ones. In Pachter's case it's the publisher's CEOs and shareholders that listen to him and they are the ones who make the major decisions in mainstream gaming. That's the problem I have with this bastard, he clearly manipulates the market to suit whatever recommendations he gives. He doesn't give a fuck if any of us listen to him because he knows the CEOs, the shareholders, all the administration and financial guys in the publishers are listening and they are the ones making the decisions, unfortunately.

In fact his opinion is so biased towards the industry that he didn't see the huge slump last month in retail sales, something I've been seeing and warning for a fucking long time. In fact his latest report predicts another huge slump for March despite ME3.

Pachter is the reason people hate us and for that I hate Pachter for being a biased, non-factual, manipulative analyst and he's everything I despise about my profession and have fought years to get rid of.

45. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 16:52 eunichron

Verno wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 14:09:
But let's go the art route because I said earlier videogames are a form of art. Art is changed all the time and yes sometimes in response to consumer expectations, demands or whatever else you want to call it. This happens in television, movies, radio, etc.

But even in the case of TV, movies, or radio you'd never get someone to retroactively change a television show or song. Radio you might get a station to change formats, but that's about it. Take M. Night Shyamalan and The Village, a lot of people lambasted the ending, but was there massive public outcry for him to change it? Would he have changed it if there was? I'm not really trying to present them as "sides," but gamers tend to have a sort of demand from developers and publishers that is unlike video game's closest parallel in entertainment media. I'm not trying to endorse anyone either, I don't like EAs business model anymore than anyone else in this thread, and Pachter certainly isn't right, but I do also think that it's a bit ridiculous given the animosity against EA/BioWare that people still hypocritically buy their games (I'm guilty of it too, I bought Battlefield 3 [twice], though I feel I got my monies worth). As customers we should get what we want, but we're obviously not exercising our rights as consumers if EA is still in business.

44. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Other People's Opinions Apr 9, 2012, 16:51 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo