Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Epic Making PC Exclusive Game

"We might be working on a PC-only title," said Epic's Mike Capps during a PAX East panel, reports Joystiq, saying Cliff Bleszinski followed this more concretely, saying: "Let me say that again: we are working on a PC game." After the panel Capps confirmed to them that this project is underway and that they currently plan on it being a PC exclusive, but no other details were offered.

View
98 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

78. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 09:51 Verno

Xombie wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 09:39:
Indie games, kickstarter, etc

None of these indie games have large budgets. They have simple graphics and concepts that can be done by a few people, there aren't any Half Life 2's or BF2's among them, which need large teams. Even Double Fine's adventure game has a fraction of the budget that was needed to make Brutal Legend. Indie games are good but it is naive to think they're the magic bullet to big-budget games.

It's likewise naive to think that big budget games can continue with the same revenue model. Indie games can be as engrossing with 1/10th the production values and reach a large audience with practically no marketing budget. The industry would be foolhardy to ignore that growing trend. Most DLC doesn't go anywhere near far enough creating a meaningful experience for the cost, especially when compared to indie games that are at a similar price level.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

77. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 09:39 Xombie

Indie games, kickstarter, etc

None of these indie games have large budgets. They have simple graphics and concepts that can be done by a few people, there aren't any Half Life 2's or BF2's among them, which need large teams. Even Double Fine's adventure game has a fraction of the budget that was needed to make Brutal Legend. Indie games are good but it is naive to think they're the magic bullet to big-budget games.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

76. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 09:18 Spektr

I am wondering what the stats are today. There are as many Pirated console games around as pirated pc. if the console market is still deemed more profitable it just means they sell more copies of console games. Could be because of piracy but it could be people are buying less pc games. Maybe because people who like the way pc games are made are no longer the majority. A paradox since the Xbox is more or less on a pc architecture ( correct me if I am wrong ) and that a lot of PC franchises have immigrated to the console market. ( elder scrolls, Max Payne, Id software games, the Sims.. ) Only STRs and to some extent MMORPGs do not fare that well on consoles and as such Blizzard, arguably the most successful pc game developer, hasn't conquered this market yet. ( Might change with Diablo 3...)  

75. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 07:51 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 00:45:
You can make a F2P multiplayer shooter with unlockables that don't require money to unlock. However, you can typically pay to get these unlockables faster through XP boosts and what not. For gamers, the main benefit of F2P multiplayer games is that they can establish a decently-sized player base pretty quickly. Being F2P, there's no barrier to entry so pretty much anyone can try it out (and they do). The downside is that the business model relies on microtransactions, so you have to continually pump out new content and make it difficult to get unless you pay for it. Tribes: Ascend really doesn't need 50 different weapons but because they chose to go F2P, they don't really have any choice. If Epic makes a F2P UT game, I'd expect the same core set of weapons from the previous games, only with 10 different variants of each one. They may even go the T:A route and restrict weapons to specific classes, forcing players to unlock both the weapons and the classes that can actually use them, making XP boosters all the more enticing.

Given WarFace or whatever a F2P shooter would both surprise and not surprise me. On one hand, it's a trend and Epic probably feels they can do it better. On the other hand, it's a crowded market that no one has proven is at all lucrative.

The biggest issue with a F2P shooter is that everyone seems to think it should always be free and whines bitterly when they're expected to put some money into it. No company is doing this for charity, they're not able to collect data anyone would actually buy and they're not serving ads, so they need SOME money to survive. The other problem is that no one has made one in a way that doesn't feel cheap.
Personally I think this is the biggest issue with F2P and it would be wiser to make a $15 or $20 game that really includes $15-$20 worth of content and more than enough to be competitive, with up to $50 in additional stuff you can buy to feel more competitive. Maybe.
Honestly, the entire business model is probably designed to make people feel they're being screwed and nickel-and-dimed, even if they're getting more content for less than if it was normally priced.

I wouldn't want to make on, in other words.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

74. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 07:46 Kajetan

Lorcin wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 07:37:
I know but in their minds they think PC is riff with piracy and that's why it's not as profitable.
I dont know what's in the minds of Epic executives. I guess they just lost contact with reality after GoW provided them with gazillions of dollars.

73. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 07:37 Lorcin

Kajetan wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 07:34:
No. For every popular MMO, there a quite a few freeshards. And IF there are no freeshards, not being able to "pirate" a game doesn't lead to instant success. More and more evidence suggests, that revenue and piracy are probably two isolated events.

I know but in their minds they think PC is riff with piracy and that's why it's not as profitable.

72. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 07:34 Kajetan

Lorcin wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 07:18:
It would virtually get rid of any piracy factor.
No. For every popular MMO, there are quite a few freeshards.

Not being able to "pirate" a game doesn't lead to instant success. More and more evidence suggests, that revenue and piracy are probably two isolated events.

71. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 07:20 Dades

Xombie wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 22:34:
All the best-selling PC games are old franchises from a handful of old companies.

Except for all of those games that do sell. When an indie can sell a million copies of Terraria then I think there is something wrong with the traditional industry, not with PC gaming. There is a ton of money to be made on this platform, more than ever before since audiences are now mostly centralized on digital platforms. Epic realizes that now but it's a shame for them that they literally spent the past few years publicly pissing all over their PC fans. Sure they've done a lot of good but its hard to remember that when you were told that your platform wasn't viable anymore and was just a bunch of pirates. Johnny come lately much?

70. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 07:18 Lorcin

MMO might be a possiblity. They have the cash from the licensing fees for UE3 and the >$1 billion the gears of war franchise has raised.

They were interested in buying APB back in late 2010 - so they have some interest in MMOs.

It would virtually get rid of any piracy factor.

If they did it F2P and micro-transactions it would let them knock out a low budget quick one which could test the scalability of UE4 and if it was a sucess they could keep adding to it.

MMO makes sense to me

69. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 06:27 Kajetan

ASeven wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 06:03:
Also, the indie scene has grown tremendously with tons of success stories.
The devs of "Dungeon Defenders" proudly announced that they sold (!) one million units of their game, when Midway only reported that they shipped (!) one million units of UT3, both PC and PS3 together. Considering the smaller production budget and the increase of revenue through Steam sales, i guess that "Dungeon Defenders" might be more profitable than UT3.

You are thinking that any dev needs gazillions of profits to be relevant, indies on the PC need only enough money to keep on going, that's the major difference.
Nowadays, one million units of a typical expensive AAA game is a major commercial dissapointment. The market is saturated with nearly identical games, therefore the marketing budgets have to grow bigger and bigger, reducing profits. There is a reason why EA is in the red despite billions of revenue.

Sick and tired of this PC gaming makes no money bullshit. It does and the indies are a perfect example of that, not to mention a lot of AAA publishers also starting to become more PC centric.
Be patient. They will once again call the PC a dying gaming platform when the new console generation is out and the sheeple have to be told once again what to buy and what not.

68. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 06:05 ASeven

Xombie wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 22:23:
Drezden wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 16:46:
Good luck selling any copies to all those "pirating, self absorbed, entitled" PC gamers that you so lovingly insulted.

Well gee, from the posts in this thread I wonder why anyone would think a thing like that?

Well gee, I wonder how we got that attitude? Maybe being insulted by them for years? Ah, let me guess, devs are allowed to bullshit and insult us all they want but the moment we comment back we are "entitled". Are you one of those bullshiters that thinks like this?

67. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 06:03 ASeven

Xombie wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 22:34:
Which Blizzard did by being able to throw more money than god at making it after being king of the era before consoles. There aren't any new companies that have made it big off of purely PC gaming in the last ten years without losing a whole lot of money (excluding Minecraft, of course). All the best-selling PC games are old franchises from a handful of old companies.

For most games and new franchises, consoles are where the consumers are.

Huh no. This fallacy is easily debunked by pointing that Kickstarter projects are mostly on the PC and have a strong following. If consoles were where the money is right now those projects would be on the consoles as well. Also, the indie scene has grown tremendously with tons of success stories. You are thinking that any dev needs gazillions of profits to be relevant, indies on the PC need only enough money to keep on going, that's the major difference.

Sick and tired of this PC gaming makes no money bullshit. It does and the indies are a perfect example of that, not to mention a lot of AAA publishers also starting to become more PC centric.

66. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 02:33 KilrathiAce

Hey Cliff B... "nice try"  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

65. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 01:31 deqer

Jerykk wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 00:45:
only with 10 different variants of each one.
cool. more unnecessary complexity for a GAME.

64. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 00:45 Jerykk

You can make a F2P multiplayer shooter with unlockables that don't require money to unlock. However, you can typically pay to get these unlockables faster through XP boosts and what not. For gamers, the main benefit of F2P multiplayer games is that they can establish a decently-sized player base pretty quickly. Being F2P, there's no barrier to entry so pretty much anyone can try it out (and they do). The downside is that the business model relies on microtransactions, so you have to continually pump out new content and make it difficult to get unless you pay for it. Tribes: Ascend really doesn't need 50 different weapons but because they chose to go F2P, they don't really have any choice. If Epic makes a F2P UT game, I'd expect the same core set of weapons from the previous games, only with 10 different variants of each one. They may even go the T:A route and restrict weapons to specific classes, forcing players to unlock both the weapons and the classes that can actually use them, making XP boosters all the more enticing.  

63. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 00:11 ViRGE

Jerykk wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 23:21:
I can almost guarantee this will be a F2P multiplayer shooter. Probably just a slightly altered version of UT3 (or maybe UT2k4), ala Quake Live.
That would be my concern too. No one seems to be willing to do a proper multiplayer FPS these days, so I'd certainly expect microtransaction hell if Epic does a MP FPS.

62. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 8, 2012, 23:58 Wowbagger_TIP

DangerDog wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 23:34:
I can almost guarantee this will be a F2P multiplayer shooter. Probably just a slightly altered version of UT3 (or maybe UT2k4), ala Quake Live.

I'm actually hoping that by next year we see the demise of the F2P model, the greed is going to kill of most of these games anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi2XGFAIPY4#t=10m18s
League of Legends seems to still be going pretty strong, despite the fact that their prices are pretty ridiculously high for things like buying a new champion or even skins. I guess a decent number of people must be paying for them.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

61. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 8, 2012, 23:56 wtf_man

If it's focused on swatting the CliffyB Douchebag... I'm in.  

60. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 8, 2012, 23:34 DangerDog

I'm actually hoping that by next year we see the demise of the F2P model, the greed is going to kill of most of these games anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi2XGFAIPY4#t=10m18s

59. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 8, 2012, 23:27 Draugr

Seems like it's a safe bet. Either that or a tech demo for the new engine, or both.

Either way, I'm not holding my breath, and I don't expect anything remarkable.

98 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo