Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage

BF3Blog has a video shot off a monitor at PAX East showing off gameplay in the upcoming Close Encounters DLC for Battlefield 3, the military shooter sequel. The clip shows off the claustrophobic indoor combat the new DLC will add.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 10, 2012, 09:57 RailWizard

Well to be fair, even 1942 had infantry only maps, or close to IO anyway, though not indoor.
It did occur to me that DICE may have realized Metro was popular but was not the greatest design.... So maybe they want to make some good indoor maps, which is ok, I don't even mind Metro once in a while.

I still however don't like the idea of an whole dlc designed around this idea though. That's not what BF is about. If anything, dlcs should be well rounded with various map types and the selling point being the overall theme of those maps. Like it used to be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 9, 2012, 10:36 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 10:32:
Well, that is obviously a bad thing but you make it sound like this is something terrible, when you can negate the effect more or less.

Poor excuse. You want as little client side manipulation as possible for a competitive FPS game. That's just one problem too, BF has many in this regard. I love the games but its never been their strong suit.

Also they did already announce those 3 expansions so I do not expect this to change. Even if sales for this DLC should be grand indeed.

Misses the point. It will influence future development direction, it already has in fact.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

23. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 9, 2012, 10:32 eRe4s3r

If you know that it's doing lag compensation you can use it to your advantage in tight spaces by starting to shoot before your view is around an edge. And CONTINUE to shoot when someone moves even if it appears he is moving behind cover.

Well, that is obviously a bad thing but you make it sound like this is something terrible, when you can negate the effect more or less.

Also they did already announce those 3 expansions so I do not expect this to change. Even if sales for this DLC should be grand indeed.

22. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 9, 2012, 09:55 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 09:40:
Well the franchise heads to TANK and END GAME addon after this one, so your worries are unfunded ;)

Incorrect. The success of this type of DLC and small infantry maps will mean we will just see more of them. It's much easier for them to make smaller maps than it is to make large ones which require tighter balancing and more work.

I do agree though that the net-code is.. not optimal for tight maps.

Not optimal? The game by default has lag compensation of 100ms, it's a total joke as a traditional FPS game. It's never been a BF strength and probably never will be.

21. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 9, 2012, 09:40 eRe4s3r

Well the franchise heads to TANK and END GAME addon after this one, so your worries are unfunded Tank is supposed to include truly huge maps.

I do agree though that the net-code is.. not optimal for tight maps.

20. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 9, 2012, 09:32 Verno

Ugh, that video looks terrible and is totally not in the spirit of what BF is. TDM is by far the worst mode in the game, so bad that they have to literally force people to play it on the PC through assignments. Definitely not picking up this DLC.

The BF engine can't really do CS maps very well, the gunplay and netcode is nowhere near tight enough for it. It's a total waste of an engine meant to render large landscapes as well. Between this and the latest patch marginalizing vehicles I don't really care for the direction this franchise is headed in.

Karkand proved you could have large maps that feature great infantry combat, this sort of DLC is pointless and seems to just pander to the mindless hordes who play Metro64 24/7.

19. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 9, 2012, 07:56 eRe4s3r

Of course there is a need, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it Say what you want, Metro and CBQ is well liked by many and that has nothing to do with consoles or cod. TDM is best played 8 v 8 and then it is tactical if the teams are balanced (in skill)... This map shown here is also nothing like Metro, Metro TDM is complete crap because the map itself simply isn't well done. This map shown here looks a lot more complex than any TDM map in BF3, with the exception of Caspian maybe.  

18. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 9, 2012, 07:10 Dades

born2expire wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 22:34:
I disagree, Metro may appeal to those but also most competitive gamers that value skill over randomness. Metro (and TDM) are the only parts of BF3 that cater to skill based infantry players.

Too bad there's nothing really strategic or competitive about Metro or TDM other than having opposing teams. I applaud the Metro Mongoloids server admin, he at least gets his audience. There are plenty of other infantry FPS games already, there was no need to turn Battlefield into yet another generic FPS shooter for people to grind their pointz.

17. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 8, 2012, 22:34 born2expire

Dades wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 22:23:
This type of map just appeals to the Metro style point grinding morons and those are the people who don't care about community. They just hop from game to game to grind their unlocks while pointing their sniper rifle down a narrow corridor.

I disagree, Metro may appeal to those but also most competitive gamers that value skill over randomness. Metro (and TDM) are the only parts of BF3 that cater to skill based infantry players.

16. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 8, 2012, 22:23 Dades

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 17:02:
To be honest, sometimes I do feel like playing close quarters and there is VERY few good ones in BF3, so I don't get what the hate is all about. Nobody forces you to buy or play this, but some people do like to play both "worlds" sometimes, and I for one love no-vehicle maps every now and then.

Also BF3 is superior to COD in all regards, weapon feel, movement feel, fluidity and fun. Now hopefully these maps block engineers though because if not this is gonna be a stupid RPG spamfest particularly if there is a rush mode on these

There are a million dumbass corridor FPS games already, there are few games on the scale of BF. When the COD market moves into games then the developers start catering to them which ruins the existing game. The games have always been very successful without this crap anyway. There was a developer quote from a mapper at Dice a few months ago and he said they made this first because "so many people like Metro". People like Metro because its an idiot grinder that no one can screw up on and because they get points fast. Instead of realizing that they could speed up point gain on other maps they will just design more narrow corridor idiot grinders over and over. Just watch.

This type of map just appeals to the Metro style point grinding morons and those are the people who don't care about community. They just hop from game to game to grind their unlocks while pointing their sniper rifle down a narrow corridor.

15. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 8, 2012, 22:15 Dades

RamataKahn wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 20:42:
Anyone who thinks BF3 is at all like CoD is a fucking moron.

Watch the video.

14. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 8, 2012, 22:13 born2expire

wah wah wah, had they released the "Armoured Kill" DLC first all the whining would be directed at something else. I actually enjoy infy and close quarters in BF3 a lot.

Kinda odd that DICE would be supplying headphones as the sound in BF3 is the most useless thing ever.

13. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 8, 2012, 21:23 ASeven

Hahahahahahahaa...

Wait, you're serious, aren't you?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

12. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 8, 2012, 21:15 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

11. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 8, 2012, 20:42 RamataKahn

10. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 8, 2012, 19:35 RailWizard

tuddies wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 18:41:
After getting addicted to METRO64 map on BF3, I am looking forward to this!

Now, if they could only use this Frostbite engine in a massive-scale ArmA type map, that would be too awesome!

There is supposed to be a 'vehicle' map, bigger than any map in Battlefield previously, in the 'tank dlc'. Which will be interesting, as there has been some truly large maps in BF history...then again, most of the old maps feel bigger. From 1942/2142/bf2 at least.

This alone reduces my rage about the CE dlc a little bit.

9. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 8, 2012, 18:41 tuddies

After getting addicted to METRO64 map on BF3, I am looking forward to this!

Now, if they could only use this Frostbite engine in a massive-scale ArmA type map, that would be too awesome!

8. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 8, 2012, 18:33 Cutter

I always loved playing cs_office with a bunch of peeps running around with shotguns. Now that's fun!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 8, 2012, 18:14 Jackplug

Oh dear! Counterstrike maps on BF3, thats sad too see that they don't have any ideas of their own. I can think of better map preferrences than this, just a shame they wont welcome the community by giving us the tools to make our own maps. Instead they come out with this shit!

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2012, 18:21.

6. Re: Battlefield 3: Close Encounters Footage Apr 8, 2012, 18:13 DangerDog

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 17:02:
Also BF3 is superior to COD in all regards, weapon feel, movement feel, fluidity and fun. Now hopefully these maps block engineers though because if not this is gonna be a stupid RPG spamfest particularly if there is a rush mode on these

Confirmed that there won't be rush mode but they've teased that there will be other game modes besides TDM. Server admins can already restrict weapons sort of, there's some script that if you get a kill with a restricted weapon then it instantly kills you too in the process.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo