Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview

An interview on Rock, Paper, Shotgun talks with Obsidian's Chris Avellone about Wasteland 2, InXile's upcoming RPG sequel that Obsidian is helping develop thanks to a successful kickstart. He discusses how this was planned, what he understands of their role in the project at this time, his feelings about crowdsourcing and giving fans a say in game development, people's nostalgia about Black Isle, and more.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 9, 2012, 11:00 Wowbagger_TIP

Jerykk wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 03:01:
Yifes wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 02:35:
Drezden wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 20:02:
On top of that his girlfriend is a fucking genius as well. Joss Whedon needs to start a Kickstarter to get Firefly back and on the air. *sigh*

Except a TV show like that costs a couple million dollars per episode. Plus, how do you expect Nathan Fillion to leave Castle?

I don't see Kickstarter successfully funding any sci-fi TV shows with decent production values. Sci-fi shows are prohibitively expensive to produce in general because of all the sets, props, costumes, make-up and special effects required. That's why Firefly was cancelled in the first place. Although it had a fanbase, that fanbase wasn't large enough to offset the production costs.
Well that's part of why it was cancelled anyway...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 9, 2012, 09:36 eRe4s3r

I also think that people are still in the gold-digger phase, nothing kickstarted so far has produced ANY viable results (at least when it comes tho those famous game kickstarts)

When results come in we can finally see whether this is worth it or not. If Wasteland 2, Shadowrun and that unnamed Adventure from that dude for example, is gonna be complete and utter suckage, then yeah, future projects will have a hell of a time to get anything funded (in the 100k to millions ~ range)

And there is always the fact that these projects can also end up producing NOTHING (not just a bad game, literally no game at all) just look at SOTS2 and how that released, Imagine that had been a kickstarted project. If you think the flame situation on SOTS2 release was big, you should see a kickstart fail release. Now you not just got customers who paid money, but people who are entitled to that perfect game that was promised to them.

And those people give you no more money to finish the game. If a kickstart project had released like SOTS2 did it would end up dead with no support. Because there is no money for support when the project commercially flops. (meaning, if normal customers don't buy it after completion)

14. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 9, 2012, 04:15 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 01:49:
When you speak of failure, I assume you mean in terms of the developer getting enough funding to actually make the game. I'm not really talking about that. I'm talking about the final product that gamers will actually play. Will DFA, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun actually be good games? Everyone investing in them obviously expects this to be true but if these games all end up being mediocre or worse, people's faith in this business model will dissipate pretty quickly. The developers need to deliver because if they fail, they can't blame publishers.
Since most of these kickstarter projects the fans will have direct input into the development, I bet most of the backers will be happy. You can't satisfy everyone. Plus for the $15 minimum most of these have, people shouldn't be expecting things like AAA level graphics.

Even if one of these big projects fail (and by fail I mean both financial or crappy game), its highly unlikely all of them will. PC games is just ONE category on kickstarter, even if that all dried up, its not going to stop kickstarter's business or business model.

For the $15 most of these are asking, I'll take a chance that this will turn out well.

13. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 9, 2012, 03:01 Jerykk

Yifes wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 02:35:
On top of that his girlfriend is a fucking genius as well. Joss Whedon needs to start a Kickstarter to get Firefly back and on the air. *sigh*

Except a TV show like that costs a couple million dollars per episode. Plus, how do you expect Nathan Fillion to leave Castle?

I don't see Kickstarter successfully funding any sci-fi TV shows with decent production values. Sci-fi shows are prohibitively expensive to produce in general because of all the sets, props, costumes, make-up and special effects required. That's why Firefly was cancelled in the first place. Although it had a fanbase, that fanbase wasn't large enough to offset the production costs.

12. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 9, 2012, 02:35 Yifes

11. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 9, 2012, 01:49 Jerykk

And I doubt that these dream of decades projects will fail. The devs for things like wasteland, shadowrun, DF, have been going to publishers for years. Its like a well known book author submitting a manuscript to publishers and continually being shot down for years, and finally a publisher says "ok, but you have to write the trilogy."

When you speak of failure, I assume you mean in terms of the developer getting enough funding to actually make the game. I'm not really talking about that. I'm talking about the final product that gamers will actually play. Will DFA, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun actually be good games? Everyone investing in them obviously expects this to be true but if these games all end up being mediocre or worse, people's faith in this business model will dissipate pretty quickly. The developers need to deliver because if they fail, they can't blame publishers.

10. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 9, 2012, 01:33 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 23:26:
I really hope this (and Double Fine's adventure game and Shadowrun 2) manage to live up to expectations. If they don't, Kickstarter's momentum will pretty much drop off a cliff.
I doubt it. Kickstarter has been growing quite fast. It may slow down larger PC game project growth, but thinks like iOS projects wouldn't be changed much.

And I doubt that these dream of decades projects will fail. The devs for things like wasteland, shadowrun, DF, have been going to publishers for years. Its like a well known book author submitting a manuscript to publishers and continually being shot down for years, and finally a publisher says "ok, but you have to write the trilogy."

9. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 9, 2012, 00:34 Lord Tea

ASeven wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 18:44:
Ah, I love the smell of new gaming business models in the morning... it smells like publishers burning.

smells great indeed!

UPSA = United Police States of America

8. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 8, 2012, 23:26 Jerykk

I really hope this (and Double Fine's adventure game and Shadowrun 2) manage to live up to expectations. If they don't, Kickstarter's momentum will pretty much drop off a cliff.  

7. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 8, 2012, 20:32 jacobvandy

Cutter wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 18:32:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 16:43:
Between this and Shadowrun (which just hit $700K), I think I'm gonna be a very happy gamer next year!

Next year? They haven't even started work yet. Better get comfy because it'll probably be more like 2 years at least.

Target is October 2013 for Wasteland 2, I don't know about Shadowrun though.

6. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 8, 2012, 20:02 Trevellian

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

5. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 8, 2012, 18:44 ASeven

Ah, I love the smell of new gaming business models in the morning... it smells like publishers burning.  

4. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 8, 2012, 18:32 Cutter

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 16:43:
Between this and Shadowrun (which just hit $700K), I think I'm gonna be a very happy gamer next year!

Next year? They haven't even started work yet. Better get comfy because it'll probably be more like 2 years at least.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

3. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 8, 2012, 16:43 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

2. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 8, 2012, 16:17 Cutter

nin wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 13:59:
This is gonna be so awesome. Truly a "shut up and take my money" game.

It better be or it'll be all your fault, nin!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

1. Re: Chris Avellone Wasteland 2 Interview Apr 8, 2012, 13:59 nin

This is gonna be so awesome. Truly a "shut up and take my money" game.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo