Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Arma III Animations Trailer

The Arma III Website has an update from Bohemia Interactive Studios on the animations in their upcoming military shooter sequel, describing how they are using three optical motion capture systems, including high-end Raptor-4 cameras from Motion Analysis Corp (thanks Slippery_Jim). They offer an interview with Zdeněk Vespalec, talking with the game's animation lead, and offer this trailer showing how this all looks in the game.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

25. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 11:50 Paranoid Jack

From the look of it the animations are better but at a minimum they need to have several walk animations. Not just one with two speeds. It shouldn't be that hard (or expensive) to add half a dozen upper body stances. So that not every squad member is walking with the same posture. Several different positions with arms holding guns differently and also several gun types. Maybe that is in there and they just made a bad choice on the video? I must say I'm impressed enough to buy this one after skipping their last one.

Still I just can't believe they are not fixing the command dialog system to be smoother. The talking robot squad mates and robotic commands gets old really quick. I know that real world soldiers speak clearly and slowly often repeating communications but at least their voices don't sound robotic. Just saying...

Also the player movement can get a little stale at times. It feels clunky. I know it varies and depends on the characters load. And before you say anything I've played old school tactical shooters. I own every Rainbow Six and the original Ghost Recon series with all expansions. I enjoy slower more realistic movements. But again smoothing them out to feel better not faster. I don't want it to be a overly fast paced shooter. Maybe it's just the camera that makes it seem clunky but I doubt it I remember that feeling well while playing the first couple games. Even if this studio only was involved with the first release.

And I agree when it comes to tension these games have it. They're not corridor shooters on a small map. You have a huge open game world. I'm in just hope they smooth a couple of the rough edges to make this a AAA title. It looks better and better the more videos I see. Go check out youtube if you haven't already.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 10:49 Muscular Beaver

SXO wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 09:58:
Just take my money already! I've been playing their games since the original Operation Flashpoint, and even when I was getting my ass handed to me by the AI I was still enjoying myself thoroughly. No other game series has made me feel as tense during combat as their games have.

Agreed. Nothing has ever come close to it. And I will never forget my first climb up on a hill and then seeing the awesome countryside with this huge viewing distance. ArmA 2 was beautiful already, but ArmA 3 looks fantastic.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

23. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 10:39 Muscular Beaver

everyone wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 20:05:
Nobody mentioned dumbing down, just a more realistically intuitive control scheme. Basic player movement shouldn't feel like you're trying to fly a Harrier.

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 17:03:
I hate to say this, but dumb down the controls.
Again, I dont know how anyone can say stuff like that. The controls are intuitive, its just a whole different gameplay. You dont need to react as quickly as in MW3 or BF3, because its realistic gameplay.
And still you can get close to those shooter reaction levels, when you actually slow down. You cant run and shoot, and your weapon has a weight, so you cant point it everywhere in a millisecond and fire super accurate instantly. Its that simple. If you dont like realism, stay with your console shooter stuff.

Commanding is also not very hard. Once you know all the commands, its a matter of milliseconds to tell your squad what to do, and you cann tell them almost everything, thats so awesome about this. If you would dumb that down, it would become a stupid console shooter... like for example OFP2.....

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2012, 10:45.

- Mojo Jojo

22. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 10:37 Muscular Beaver

Quboid wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 21:43:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 19:45:
It actually needs to be even more complex like having moves to climb over a wall, or shoot around corners without looking, etc.

So ... it needs a cover system, something like Mass Effect or Gears of War?

No, not automated crap like that. Thats like autoaiming...

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2012, 10:45.

- Mojo Jojo

21. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 09:58 SXO

Just take my money already! I've been playing their games since the original Operation Flashpoint, and even when I was getting my ass handed to me by the AI I was still enjoying myself thoroughly. No other game series has made me feel as tense during combat as their games have.  

20. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 08:58 eRe4s3r

Oh, mhhh... teaches me not to post before my first coffee  

19. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 08:50 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 07:06:
Because taking cover is something only macho space-marines do, real soldiers stand in the fight straight up and stare their enemy down!

It is kinda sad that the first thing that came to your mind when he said cover system is those 2 games.. how about splinter cell or metal gear?

What's sad about those two games? I picked the first two games that came to mind which use cover shooting and which are big on consoles, just to highlight the console-ness of this. Your suggestions would do fine as they're also largely console games. They're also macho-superman games, so I'm not sure what your point is.

My point, by the way, isn't that "this is from consoles, therefore bad". My point was the opposite; that things aren't bad ideas just because they appeared on consoles first. This was a general point, not in response to anyone in particular.

- Quboid

18. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 07:59 TSO

There should be an cover system of sorts. It doesn't have to be "snap to wall" with jumping, rolling and extensive blindfire like the usual shooters. Indeed, the extent of it is probably going to be adjusting height and stance depending on the height of your cover. I just hope it is intuitive and that the AI makes use of it.  

17. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 07:06 eRe4s3r

Because taking cover is something only macho space-marines do, real soldiers stand in the fight straight up and stare their enemy down!

It is kinda sad that the first thing that came to your mind when he said cover system is those 2 games.. how about splinter cell or metal gear?

16. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 7, 2012, 23:18 DangerDog

rag doll physics for kills and unique weapon reload animations, I wouldn't expect anything revolutionary with the animation system though.

first thing a lot of people do is remap the keys to what they normally use for a first person shooter, this really screws you up because you can't press 1 for pistol and 2 for assault rifle.

the hard core Arma players would show up with pitchforks in their hands if they removed functionality in the name of trying to adapt to a wider audience.

15. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 7, 2012, 22:19 tuddies

GTA4 had some great animation using Euphoria, and BF3 has really seamless animation using their Frostbite code. It makes me hopeful that one day Arma will also have such fluid animation.

This clip does show incremental improvement, but it is all hard-coded and could really benefit with some of the dynamic animation from the two engines mentioned above.

As far as a cover system - no way! Arma already uses cover naturally, although it could use some refinement when shooting over different height obstructions. Actually, Operation Flashpoint Red River implemented this in a very seamless and useful way.

But every bit of improvement is welcomed and this will be another ArmA that will be permanently installed on my hard drive.

14. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 7, 2012, 21:43 Quboid

Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 19:45:
It actually needs to be even more complex like having moves to climb over a wall, or shoot around corners without looking, etc.

So ... it needs a cover system, something like Mass Effect or Gears of War?

- Quboid

13. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 7, 2012, 21:13 ELITE

ARMA has always felt like you're driving a Semi-truck (and i'm talking about when you're on foot!)

I have to say I really like the way BF3 feels - I really like the jumping over small walls. ARMA always feel like it's a mini game...move to wall find right spot to click the E button or whatever it is.

If they fixed the controls the game would be a joy to play... Also commanding has always sucked... I don't know how many times I've been shot trying to click keys to command squads...

Looks pretty - just give us some great controls and inf movement...

12. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 7, 2012, 21:09 SpectralMeat

Here is the dev interview I was talking about:
http://tinyurl.com/cq5adrt

Skip to 9:00 minutes for the comments about simpler controls.

Steam: SpectralMeat

11. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 7, 2012, 20:56 Joss

My Track-IR Pro 5 sits patiently atop my monitor for this release!  

10. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 7, 2012, 20:05 everyone

Nobody mentioned dumbing down, just a more realistically intuitive control scheme. Basic player movement shouldn't feel like you're trying to fly a Harrier.  

9. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 7, 2012, 19:45 Muscular Beaver

eunichron wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 19:06:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 19:01:
SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 17:50:
I hate to say this, but dumb down the controls. I could never get through some of the training due to how the controls are setup, and I refuse to macguyver my desk for my joystick to fit on it.

Also show me some dialog. I couldn't stomach the horrible dialog in whatever version of Arma I have, let alone the 'Move to.... 1...2....1' commands.

I really would love to get into this series but entry level needs to be smoothed out.

One of the dev interviews I've seen on youtube the dev touched on exactly this issue. He said they are making changes so casual players can get into the game a little easier.

People like that will never like Arma, unless it turns into a childish game like BF3 or MW3.
So this is a very bad move.
Arma really doesnt have complex controls for a real PC game, so I dont get it why anyone would complain about it, unless he has console controller glued to his hands.

While I understand they're going for a 'sim' shooter, there is still no reason for 'simulator' to be synonymous with 'horribly implemented, convoluted, and difficult control scheme and interface'.

Which it isnt. It isnt as smooth and fast as MW3 or your typical shooter, because its completely different gameplay. Other shooters are fast. ArmA has actually pretty slow and realistic gameplay.
Yeah, it needs a few tweaks here and there, but dumbing down? No way.
It actually needs to be even more complex like having moves to climb over a wall, or shoot around corners without looking, etc. Thats also why an addon that adds exactly that is so popular, even in multiplayer.
ACE2 also proved that people want even more realistic gameplay.

- Mojo Jojo

8. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 7, 2012, 19:06 eunichron

Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 19:01:
I hate to say this, but dumb down the controls. I could never get through some of the training due to how the controls are setup, and I refuse to macguyver my desk for my joystick to fit on it.

Also show me some dialog. I couldn't stomach the horrible dialog in whatever version of Arma I have, let alone the 'Move to.... 1...2....1' commands.

I really would love to get into this series but entry level needs to be smoothed out.

One of the dev interviews I've seen on youtube the dev touched on exactly this issue. He said they are making changes so casual players can get into the game a little easier.

People like that will never like Arma, unless it turns into a childish game like BF3 or MW3.
Arma really doesnt have complex controls for a real PC game, so I dont get it why anyone would complain about it, unless he has console controller glued to his hands.

While I understand they're going for a 'sim' shooter, there is still no reason for 'simulator' to be synonymous with 'horribly implemented, convoluted, and difficult control scheme and interface'.

7. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 7, 2012, 19:01 Muscular Beaver

Arma really doesnt have complex controls for a real PC game, so I dont get it why anyone would complain about it, unless he has a console controller glued to his hands.

- Mojo Jojo

6. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 7, 2012, 17:50 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo