Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout Free on GOG.com

The original Fallout is being offered on GOG.com for free for the next 48 hours:

GOG.com is giving away Fallout: A Post Apocalyptic Role Playing Game free for 48 hours until 23.59 GMT on 8 April, courtesy of Interplay. The grand ancestor of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas amazes to this day with extensive story, unbeatable gameplay, and doomed “atompunk” universe. GOG.com is giving the game that created the biggest and most captivating post-apocalyptic world in gaming history away for free as a thank you to all the gamers that helped GOG.com become the #1 destination for DRM-free games.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com Apr 9, 2012, 10:09 Ant

Dang it! I missed it!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com Apr 6, 2012, 20:38 Riker

I'm jealous of you Fallout virgins. Oh to experience my first time again!  

30. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com Apr 6, 2012, 18:17 Tom

Never played Fallout til today and the GOG version seems to have perfectly fine mouse/keyboard control to me. Keep in mind the game was released 15 years ago...  

29. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com Apr 6, 2012, 18:13 Marvin T. Martian

Been wanting to try this for a while but it plays like crap,mouse movement and contol are garbage. Not impressed.
I just installed the free verion from GOG and if it is patched, I don't have a clue as to what mods to improve mouse control and graphics since the forums there are so out of date.
Cry

28. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com<br> The original <b>Fallout</b> is being offered on <a href= Apr 6, 2012, 14:17 MattyC

Icewind wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 10:10:
MattyC wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 09:44:
Nepumuk wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 05:35:
I did not remember that many cave rats.

I didn't snag the GoG version, but I recently played though my original copy (in DOSbox, good luck getting that damn thing working in Windows) and I thought the same thing about the beginning. It is still a great game, but some nostalgia was ruined. 'It is door trim' or something like that was the other big &#3232;_&#3232; for me. I was just thinking 'Who thought to put this in? Did anyone ever want to see this?'. Seemed pretty obvious anyone who ever got that was trying to click on the door itself.

Odd. You have problems with the windows version of Fallout? I've installed it on 5 different rigs of mine, from Windows 95 to Windows vista ultimate x64 and have never had a problem.

Matter of fact, when it came out it was the first game that made me stop whining about how games didn't have DOS install options. After Diablo 1 ran so well in Win95, I installed the WIN95 executable of Fallout, saw it ran excellently, and never went back to DOS again.

Well, until DOSbox.

It would never install for me under Windows. Though I didn't put too much effort into fixing the problem. If a game has a DOS option and it gives me any trouble in Windows, to DOSbox it goes.

27. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com Apr 6, 2012, 11:57 Creston

Phaint wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 10:44:
I remember buying this game back in the day because a couple guys on irc kept raving about it but when I installed it I was like what the hell is this... the turn based combat turned me off completely as I wasn't into RPGs back then. So is Sfall is a "must have" mod or what? Is the 13 year time limit really that annoying?

sfall isn't really necessary, imo. And the time limit was already patched out in the GOG version. (it's not as bad as it seems. You REALLY have to drag your ass and just keep running back and forth to take 13 years.)

Technically, you can finish the game in 3 months or so in-game. I have no idea how people manage to get through that final base as a level 1 character, but apparently they manage.

Edit : I got curious, here's a guy finishing it in 10 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlxRCi9OvZo

Creston

26. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com Apr 6, 2012, 11:29 Necrophob

Phaint wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 10:44:
I remember buying this game back in the day because a couple guys on irc kept raving about it but when I installed it I was like what the hell is this... the turn based combat turned me off completely as I wasn't into RPGs back then. So is Sfall is a "must have" mod or what? Is the 13 year time limit really that annoying?

The timelimit restricts unfettered exploration. I almost couldn't beat the game because of it, and had to reload to a really old save.

25. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com Apr 6, 2012, 10:44 Phaint

24. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com<br> The original <b>Fallout</b> is being offered on <a href= Apr 6, 2012, 10:10 Icewind

MattyC wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 09:44:

I didn't snag the GoG version, but I recently played though my original copy (in DOSbox, good luck getting that damn thing working in Windows) and I thought the same thing about the beginning. It is still a great game, but some nostalgia was ruined. 'It is door trim' or something like that was the other big &#3232;_&#3232; for me. I was just thinking 'Who thought to put this in? Did anyone ever want to see this?'. Seemed pretty obvious anyone who ever got that was trying to click on the door itself.

Odd. You have problems with the windows version of Fallout? I've installed it on 5 different rigs of mine, from Windows 95 to Windows vista ultimate x64 and have never had a problem.

Matter of fact, when it came out it was the first game that made me stop whining about how games didn't have DOS install options. After Diablo 1 ran so well in Win95, I installed the WIN95 executable of Fallout, saw it ran excellently, and never went back to DOS again.

Well, until DOSbox.

23. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com<br> The original <b>Fallout</b> is being offered on <a href= Apr 6, 2012, 09:44 MattyC

22. Re: Fallout free Apr 6, 2012, 08:48 DNForever

Consider my card handed in - never played it but getting on it now.

Creston wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 23:33:
That's awesome. If you don't already have it, or haven't played it, hand over your PC gamer card, and go play it now.

You can have it back when you're finished.

Creston

21. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com<br> The original <b>Fallout</b> is being offered on <a href= Apr 6, 2012, 07:59 Fibrocyte

Dev wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 07:40:
Fibrocyte wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 07:18:
Have you installed this version of sfall over the GOG version of fallout1?

EDIT: I just tried. The base game from GOG works fine w/ no color distortion. If you add this version of sfall for Fallout1 then you get color distortion and who knows what else (in Win7).

EDIT2: I modified the ddraw.ini file and made the following changes:
o- Mode=4
o- GraphicsWidth=1600
o- GraphicsHeight=900
o- GlobalShaderMode=3

And now videos look correct and I can adjust the game speed.
No I have not, my bad. Glad you found the right ini changes to do. Are those the working changes when using GoG vanillia or after adding sfall?

Actually, GOG vanilla looks and works great. I still installed sfall afterwards because I wanted the speed tweaks. The ddraw.ini file changes I suggested apply to sfall only. Thx for the tip on the mod itself.

20. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com<br> The original <b>Fallout</b> is being offered on <a href= Apr 6, 2012, 07:40 Dev

Fibrocyte wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 07:18:

EDIT: I just tried. The base game from GOG works fine w/ no color distortion. If you add this version of sfall for Fallout1 then you get color distortion and who knows what else (in Win7).

o- Mode=4
o- GraphicsWidth=1600
o- GraphicsHeight=900
o- GlobalShaderMode=3

No I have not, my bad. Glad you found the right ini changes to do. Are those the working changes when using GoG vanillia or after adding sfall?

19. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com<br> The original <b>Fallout</b> is being offered on <a href= Apr 6, 2012, 07:18 Fibrocyte

Dev wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 04:03:
I don't know if the GoG version includes SFALL, but I reccomend that at the very minimum in terms of playing fallout 1. Here's a GoG forum post with links:
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/Fallout_Series/fallout_2_mods/post119

sfall is basically a program that intercepts some of the calls (mostly the direct3d stuff to translate to direct x).
Features:

* Increase movement and combat speed to up to 10x normal.
* Play fallout in a window or in 16 bit colour mode
* Use d3d9 in place of the usual ddraw
* Use the mouse scroll wheel in the inventory, barter, conversation and save/load menus.
* Assign a use to the middle mouse button, and adjust mouse sensitivity beyond fallouts normal range
* Adjust or remove the 13 year time limit
* Fixes the broken pathfinder and sharpshooter perks
* Adds some additional script functions for modders to use

Thats the one that can remove the time limit, I think it fixes the graphical glitches under vista/7, and its also the one where you can scale the viewing window up and apply filters to it so it doesn't look too bad when you do.

o- Mode=4
o- GraphicsWidth=1600
o- GraphicsHeight=900
o- GlobalShaderMode=3

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2012, 07:36.

18. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com<br> The original <b>Fallout</b> is being offered on <a href= Apr 6, 2012, 05:35 Nepumuk

17. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com<br> The original <b>Fallout</b> is being offered on <a href= Apr 6, 2012, 04:40 SM0k3

Remember when this first come out and PCGamer included the demo on disc(still have the magazine from back then) to this day I still have not played it but I'm definitely going to give it a try now.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2012, 04:47.

16. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com<br> The original <b>Fallout</b> is being offered on <a href= Apr 6, 2012, 04:03 Dev

I don't know if the GoG version includes SFALL, but I reccomend that at the very minimum in terms of playing fallout 1. Here's a GoG forum post with links:
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/Fallout_Series/fallout_2_mods/post119

sfall is basically a program that intercepts some of the calls (mostly the direct3d stuff to translate to direct x).
Features:

* Increase movement and combat speed to up to 10x normal.
* Play fallout in a window or in 16 bit colour mode
* Use d3d9 in place of the usual ddraw
* Use the mouse scroll wheel in the inventory, barter, conversation and save/load menus.
* Assign a use to the middle mouse button, and adjust mouse sensitivity beyond fallouts normal range
* Adjust or remove the 13 year time limit
* Fixes the broken pathfinder and sharpshooter perks
* Adds some additional script functions for modders to use

Thats the one that can remove the time limit, I think it fixes the graphical glitches under vista/7, and its also the one where you can scale the viewing window up and apply filters to it so it doesn't look too bad when you do.

15. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com<br> The original <b>Fallout</b> is being offered on <a href= Apr 6, 2012, 02:57 Mashiki Amiketo

Hah. First time I played it I was still working as a 'repair tech' at a computer shop, yeah needless to say nothing got done that day. But damn if it wasn't such a great 8 hours.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

14. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com<br> The original <b>Fallout</b> is being offered on <a href= Apr 6, 2012, 00:58 Cutter

Necrophob wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 21:16:
I remember my brother playing the demo from a PC Gamer...I was just a kid, so I was goggling at the outrageous deaths in combat. I loved that game, but hated the time limit.

LOL! I was at a buddy's place with the same situation. He was all...'Check this shit out!', shot some guy and blood and guts exploded everywhere. I think I ran out and got it the next day. Some of the best money I've still ever spent.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

13. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com<br> The original <b>Fallout</b> is being offered on <a href= Apr 5, 2012, 23:34 Creston

Necrophob wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 21:16:
I remember my brother playing the demo from a PC Gamer...I was just a kid, so I was goggling at the outrageous deaths in combat. I loved that game, but hated the time limit.

A patch later removed that time limit. I think there are still some consequences to dragging your ass, but the Vault doesn't get wiped out anymore.

Creston

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo