Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

John Romero's Shooter Plans

Former id Software designer John Romero indicated earlier this year he still has plans to design a first-person shooter, and now Eurogamer has word from the Loot Drop CEO this will probably be a PC-first "MMO-ish" persistent world game, though this is not anywhere near development at this point. "Yes, I'm definitely going to be making another shooter and it will be on PC first," he tells them. It's a persistent game, it has persistent player data, the character grows and gets better over time. I think most gamers expect that now anyway, but this was a design I'd done a while ago. I think it's pretty valid. "You will be playing the game as you would expect a shooter to feel, but the specifics of your situation, narrative wrapper and reward system are all unique. I wouldn't want to give out any specifics until I'm close to shipping it. I've learned my lesson about talking too soon about specific game features and release dates."

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

16. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 02:19 D_K_night

I don't know if I'm actually starting to feel sorry for the guy. Because every time he makes any kind of news headlines the "make you his bitch" is just not ever going to go away, at least not for several more decades.

And wasn't ION Storm(does it still exist?) just focused on iOS games? Might just be more profitable for them to just stick to doing that...instead of a big budget PC title.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 02:18 Wraith

For fuck's sake, John, it's about time you stopped believing your own bullshit.

All you ever were, was a level designer for the most advanced engines ever made. There is nothing startling or even halfway competent about your work.

* You do not understand gameplay.
* You do not understand complexity.
* You totally fail to grasp the purpose of character customisation
* You are clueless about atmosphere and how aesthetics produce specific effects upon the players
* Your understanding of scale and perspective is non-existent.

All you are is a man-child who thinks his own personal vision of what's "cool" is somehow going to be shared by others. Despite the fact that Daikatana was a bomb and every single good thing Ion Storm ever produced had sweet fuck all to do with you.

Your absence makes a game significantly better.

Don't worry about whether you talk about your game or not. It'll still be shit, because you simply have no fucking clue about what makes a good game.

Christ, I can't believe people are still giving this colossal failure more press. He's like the Derek Smart of the FPS world.

14. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 01:21 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 01:05:
Yes, but the first PS wasn't bad, it was just ahead of its time. I think most of us were still on modems at that point.

It was 2003, little late for gamers to be on modems in my opinion. I got my cable modem in 1999 and I knew many who had cable before that.

13. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 01:05 Cutter

[VG]Reagle wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 20:52:
Planetside is both a MMO and a FPS .... so I would not be too critical of MMOs trying to be FPS.

Yes, but the first PS wasn't bad, it was just ahead of its time. I think most of us were still on modems at that point. From the looks of it PS2 is going to seriously fucking rock.

I don't hate John, I think the man has more than paid his dues with the Daikatana marketing shit and he actually does strike me as someone who's really learned some humility along the way. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. However, not with this freemium MMO'ish nickel and diming shit. Just make a good stand-alone FPS first to show us he still has the chops and then we can talk about other stuff like after.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

12. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 00:49 Razumen

I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I actually mildly enjoyed Daikatana after it received the millionth patch that actually made it playable.
Not that it excuses the game as a whole, but it had potential.

11. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 00:30 Creston

Prez wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 21:22:
Who woulda thunk it? the first post in a thread about John Romero referred to his moronic (but iconic) "make you his bitch" campaign!

And to be fair, that was never HIS idea to begin with. It was the idiot publisher that came up with that.

As for this idea, yeah, it sounds totally underwhelming, plus he currently works in a studio that makes mobile games. Not quite the same thing.

I think we'll see nanotechnology before this game ever reaches a harddisk anywhere.

Creston

10. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 5, 2012, 22:58 Icewind

When is Stevie Killcreek Case's game coming out?

Oh that's right, she's on the street corner turning tricks.

9. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 5, 2012, 22:24 heroin

Space Captain will play it because he likes handling turds.  

8. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 5, 2012, 21:30 [VG]Reagle

This scuzz should not be mentioned in the same post as planet side.  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

7. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 5, 2012, 21:22 Prez

Who woulda thunk it? the first post in a thread about John Romero referred to his moronic (but iconic) "make you his bitch" campaign!

At any rate, despite my belief that he's the most overrated guy in gaming hisory, I'll at least keep an open mind until I see what he's going to give us. Of course, if it sucks, he can always go back to making throwaway mobile games.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 5, 2012, 21:18 [VG]Reagle

[url=]http://pineconeattack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/romero_ad.jpg[/url]  

5. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 5, 2012, 21:08 Trevellian

Closed Betas wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 20:42:
bitches impossible as no one but 9yo's will play it. Another developer who is clueless, FPS's still trying to be MMO's and MMO's still trying to be FPS's. Its a sad joke to see developers so clueless and feeling they have to be something else to sell.....

Its too simplistic.. The game requires, progressive and interesting statistics, and goals to win, moreso as a part of a team...

un-coordinated 9year olds want to sit in a corner and act like they are improving their game with upgrades and fake stats.... So why not beat the middle man and just include a aim bot for them and call it a day?

Planetside and Planetside 2 would like to have a word with you... and make you their bitch.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

4. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 5, 2012, 20:52 [VG]Reagle

Planetside is both a MMO and a FPS .... so I would not be too critical of MMOs trying to be FPS.  

3. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 5, 2012, 20:42 Closed Betas

bitches impossible as no one but 9yo's will play it. Another developer who is clueless, FPS's still trying to be MMO's and MMO's still trying to be FPS's. Its a sad joke to see developers so clueless and feeling they have to be something else to sell.....

Its too simplistic.. The game requires, progressive and interesting statistics, and goals to win, moreso as a part of a team...

un-coordinated 9year olds want to sit in a corner and act like they are improving their game with upgrades and fake stats.... So why not beat the middle man and just include a aim bot for them and call it a day?

2. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 5, 2012, 20:41 [VG]Reagle

Yes he is going to make you his bitch.  

1. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 5, 2012, 20:36 MajorD

Is he going to make us his bitches?

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo