Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut

BioWare announces Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut, a free DLC pack for Mass Effect 3 they hope will address widespread unhappiness with the conclusion of the action/RPG sequel. Here's word on the free DLC, which does not yet carry a release date:

BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts Inc. announced Mass Effect™ 3: Extended Cut, a downloadable content pack that will expand upon the events at the end of the critically acclaimed Action RPG. Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes. Coming this summer, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be available for download on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC for no extra charge*.

“We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player.” “We are all incredibly proud of Mass Effect 3 and the work done by Casey Hudson and team,” said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder of BioWare and General Manager of EA’s BioWare Label. “Since launch, we have had time to listen to the feedback from our most passionate fans and we are responding. With the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team’s artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe.”

Casey Hudson, Executive Producer of the Mass Effect series added, “We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player.”

View
181 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

21. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:49 El Pit

Mass Effect 3: The Bobby Ewing Solution!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:41 nin

Veterator wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 10:34:
Alternate universe maaaaan, everyone's gameplay experience took place in an alternate universe. In the IMPORTANT universe none of this happened. Isn't that how it goes with sci-fi?

And then drama shows have memory loss or dream sequences.

And comedy has the "what if" path that looks eerily like a dream sequence...

That's...not implausible. They could say whatever gender you took for Shepard was the "other" dimension, and the "real" ending where everything was happy and no one hated EA was the opposite gender of what you took...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:40 Lokust

Read: We finally finished the game that we rushed out with a monty python ending  

18. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:34 Veterator

Alternate universe maaaaan, everyone's gameplay experience took place in an alternate universe. In the IMPORTANT universe none of this happened. Isn't that how it goes with sci-fi?

And then drama shows have memory loss or dream sequences.

And comedy has the "what if" path that looks eerily like a dream sequence...

17. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:31 SXO

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 10:10:
They can't exactly go back and say "Here is the true ending" It would be beyond admission of defeat. It would literally dismantle whoever was responsible for writing the damn thing for his entire career. This ending is now what defines ME3, they can tweak it, but they can never retcon that, unless they send some mind-wipe pills with the DLC... because even if the ending gets better, the original ending is never forgotten
Funny that they've never had a problem retconning stuff before, both in the ME lore and in DA lore.

16. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:26 El Pit

Possible changes in the "Extended Cut"
1) There IS a cake!
2) No more green explosions all over the universe. Instead: RED explosions!
3) Bobby wakes up. It was all just a bad dream.
4) The God kid in the end starts singing "Don't fear the reaper".
5) You can tell the God kid to stop restarting the matrix every 50,000 years and do some homework instead.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

15. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:14 nin

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 09:59:
I have a sneaking suspicion that most of the "new" content will just be the extra dialog they cut at the last minute to keep the ending "high level."

And so far, you're right...
http://kotaku.com/5899274

14. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:11 wonkawonka

"We ain't gonna fix the gameplay, we're gonna fix the movie"
That's what you do when you created an interactive movie in the first place.

13. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:10 eRe4s3r

They can't exactly go back and say "Here is the true ending" It would be beyond admission of defeat. It would literally dismantle whoever was responsible for writing the damn thing for his entire career. This ending is now what defines ME3, they can tweak it, but they can never retcon that, unless they send some mind-wipe pills with the DLC... because even if the ending gets better, the original ending is never forgotten  

12. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:08 MacLeod

Verno wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 10:00:
You can handwave that kind of stuff with some nerdy technobabble man, that's where it came from in the first place. That's the least of their problems with the ending

Well, yea, there's a lot more pressing problems with the ending, but I was just looking at it from a going-forward standpoint. No mass relays are a big deal. I'm not sure they can really just handwave it away, considering that it seems they've established that the other races have no clue how to build them (since they only use the originals). It'd be a pretty big leap to say that we've either created new relays or all of a sudden have ships capable of doing it themselves.

11. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:07 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 09:45:
MacLeod wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 09:43:
I still don't know how they purposefully wrote themselves into a corner with their universe... all the mass relays being destroyed... well that's great, how are you going to ever do another game in the same universe now, when there's no way to get from system to system?

Warp engines? Star Trek > Mass Effect, anyplace, anytime, any commanding officer

10 , 100 or 1000 or even 10000 times faster than light is still INCREDIBLE slow, given the ranges involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Warptable.gif

I feel geeky now, but for reference, for "sector" space exploration warp speed of 9 or 10 might be barely acceptable, most systems we care about would be in range, but for actual galactic exploration, we'd need warp 20 to be able to cross galaxies. ^^

ME FTL drives clock in at about 80 times speed of light, so yeah, way too friggin slow. (warp 10 is around 10000+ times faster than light)

10. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:04 Verno

All the problems with the ending still stand, and this is exactly what I predicted

Sure but they can do some bandaids with continuity scenes for companions and such. For many people it wasn't just about not getting a 100% personalized ending, it was a combination of factors that made it disappointing.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

9. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:01 SXO

It's amazing how people can still be in denial. I thought the wording in this was quite clear that nothing is being changed, they are merely extending the cutscenes to further elaborate what happened to everyone. All the problems with the ending still stand, and this is exactly what I predicted.  

8. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:00 Verno

I still don't know how they purposefully wrote themselves into a corner with their universe... all the mass relays being destroyed... well that's great, how are you going to ever do another game in the same universe now, when there's no way to get from system to system?

You can handwave that kind of stuff with some nerdy technobabble man, that's where it came from in the first place. That's the least of their problems with the ending

Anyway kudos to Bioware for listening to their fans and also for making it free, at least until April 2014.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

7. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 09:59 Dr. D. Schreber

I have a sneaking suspicion that most of the "new" content will just be the extra dialog they cut at the last minute to keep the ending "high level."  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

6. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 09:47 Cutter

How can you be increibly proud of the clown that got your game universally despised apart from the reviewers you paid to give it a good score? Why wpuld you even be doing this if you were so proud of your product? Fucking BiowarEA and their BS.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

5. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 09:45 InBlack

Warp engines? Star Trek > Mass Effect, anyplace, anytime, any commanding officer

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 09:43 MacLeod

And I still say that the whole indoctrination theory, even if that wasn't what the actual plan was, they should have just came out and said "Damn... you caught us... we didn't think anyone would catch that until we released our first DLC. *whispers to dev team* scrap everything and work on this story!".

Because that idea is 100x more creative than their A, B or C endings.

3. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 09:42 nin

You can't polish a turd.

But maybe you can tell a neat story about how that one piece of poop ended up in your hamburger.

2. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 09:40 briktal

At the very least it will be interesting to see what they could even do as far as "context and clarity" given the ending.  

181 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo