Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut

BioWare announces Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut, a free DLC pack for Mass Effect 3 they hope will address widespread unhappiness with the conclusion of the action/RPG sequel. Here's word on the free DLC, which does not yet carry a release date:

BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts Inc. announced Mass Effect™ 3: Extended Cut, a downloadable content pack that will expand upon the events at the end of the critically acclaimed Action RPG. Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes. Coming this summer, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be available for download on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC for no extra charge*.

“We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player.” “We are all incredibly proud of Mass Effect 3 and the work done by Casey Hudson and team,” said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder of BioWare and General Manager of EA’s BioWare Label. “Since launch, we have had time to listen to the feedback from our most passionate fans and we are responding. With the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team’s artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe.”

Casey Hudson, Executive Producer of the Mass Effect series added, “We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player.”

View
181 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

161. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 6, 2012, 04:31 hello newman

*SPOILER*

A friend of mine who just finished Mass Effect 3 was not at all mad that his squadmates died all over the place and so on, but he asked me : "Who the funk is the Catalyst man?! GOD ?! Is this a christian game? Why can't i just kill the stupid kid and save everyone ?" :))
I only posted for the luls.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

160. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 6, 2012, 02:24 NegaDeath

PHJF wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 00:45:
Jesus I knew console gamers were infatuated with Commander Shepard, but you guys, too?

And Inception doesn't have an "answer", it was deliberately designed that way.

Believe it or not it is possible to be mad over an ending to a story without being infatuated. Is it unreasonable to expect an emotional response to a series that you spend 100-150 hours primarily investing time into it's characters?

159. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 6, 2012, 01:06 entr0py

I'm shocked that they caved to the pressure. But ultimately that pressure came from their customers, so if the vast majority are actually dissatisfied, and not just a vocal minority, it's smart to give them what they want.

*spoilers obviously*

Personally, I was only mildly disappointed by the ending, but there was a lot that I liked about it. I thought the leadup was engrossing including all the last bits on earth and the confrontation with the illusive man. And the ending did a nice job of finally explaining what the Reapers are, aside from unsympathetic death robots. I even like how you were forced to make an unexpected and difficult choice that involves huge sacrifice whatever you choose.

And I certainly don't need to know what happens to every character for the rest of their life, I hate endings that try to do that. What bothered me were the inconsistencies. Why is EDI still alive when I choose to kill all synthetics? Why was Joker joy riding through mass relays when the final battle was taking place?

Also, I would have preferred that the ending be determined largely by my actions throughout the game and even previous games, not just a choice foisted on me at the end.

158. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 6, 2012, 00:45 PHJF

Jesus I knew console gamers were infatuated with Commander Shepard, but you guys, too?

And Inception doesn't have an "answer", it was deliberately designed that way.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

157. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 6, 2012, 00:40 Flatline

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 20:22:
Also, I disagree with the fact that open ended endings is a sign of bad writing. A lot of literature and movies have endings that are open to interpretation. Blade Runner, Inception, just off of the top of my head (Not that ME3 is in the same league).

No. Stop. You are not fucking comparing Blade Runner & Inception to ME3.

Those movies (okay Bladerunner if you're watching the Director's or Final Cut) ends with asking a single, solitary question of the viewer that has been set up all along the fucking story.

Blade Runner: What is humanity? Answer: Uncertainty. It's what Deckard nods at in the last moments. (It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?)

Inception: Is this a dream? Answer: No it's the real world (In all of the waking scenes the main character is wearing his wedding ring. It's on in the last shot of the movie, you can see it for about 5 frames). (major spoilers for people who haven't cracked out on Inception)

The point is, those "open ended" movies actually have a laser focus in their openness. They reiterate the original, central, core theme of the story. ME3 just sprays shit all over the core themes of all 3 games and walks away leaving a stinking mess. In fact, the ending states that the antithesis of the whole trilogy, that being inevitability and the simple supremacy of technology over organics, is the real thing. No *real* questions are asked about the themes you're playing with. No real analysis. ME3 is basically The Matrix Revolutions all over again. It's lazy, poor writing, and really a shit ending to a good promise.

156. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 6, 2012, 00:21 Creston

Yifes, I'll just agree to disagree with you. I've had this same argument about five hundred times on Bioware's forums the past few weeks, and neither party ever convinces the other one, so...

Again, I loved ME3. I thought it was quite possibly the best game I'd ever played, and then that utterly nonsensical ending happened, and it left quite a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm nowhere near the level of some folks where they say they'll never play any of the ME games again, but I do refuse to play the ending. I'll watch the Extended Cut when it comes out, and maybe it'll fix it, and more likely it'll just be more bullshit, in which case I'll just write an ending myself and consider that canon.

Creston

155. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 22:20 RollinThundr

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 18:36:
Bhruic wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 18:29:
I've addressed this before. Each individual character gets resolution of their story arc. Those are the endings of your companions, but are not significant enough on a galactic scale against the reapers

You mean you've dodged the issue before. You claim that you are arguing against people complaining that their choices don't matter to the ending. But where is it? Yes, the choices you make matter during the rest of the game, but who's talking about the rest of the game? We are talking about the ending. You know, the ending where you get to pick one of three possible outcomes. How do any of your choices affect that?

Of course, you'll just dodge the question again, because you already know they don't. Why you won't just admit that and move on, I don't know, but it's probably why people are labeling you a shill.

? How is that dodging the question? The point is, the choices you make regarding your companions profoundly affects your companion on a personal level. That gets resolved. The final sequence with the reapers deal with issues on a galactic level, and whether Tali or Miranda, or Wrex dies or not is not significant towards resolution of the reaper story arc. This part of the story is Shepard's decision alone. In Planescape Torment do you find out everything that happens to Mort and Dakkon after TNO starts fighting in the Blood War? No, because its not relevant.

How do you figure? The Quarians never rebuilt their homeworld with help from the Geth because THEY'RE STRANDED ON FUCKING EARTH, repeat with the rest of the fleets. The content of the game is not closure in the ending, they're not one in the same. How much is EA paying you btw, they might ask for it back considering you flat out suck at shilling.

154. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 22:04 Dades

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 18:03:
Of course you can subjectively dislike any ending. That is completely reasonable, and it seems like the major of people feel this way. However, when you start bringing in specific examples of why the ending is bad, you're the one that's nitpicking. Don't get upset if I don't agree and argue otherwise.

I'm not the one who asked others to rationally explain their thoughts so that I could post thirty(!) times nitpicking it to death.

153. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 21:10 NegaDeath

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 20:09:
It took the combined forces of the galaxy just to MAKE the crucible, based on design by the protheans based on designs passed down through countless cycles. They even had no idea what the thing did, and were just blindly following a blueprint. Its incredibly unlikely that they can ever come close to understanding it enough to reprogram it. Besides, who know what the crucible actually does? Maybe its just a communication device that lets you interact with the being behind the catalyst, and a conduit for its powers.

The final run on the Harbinger, that was just for cinematic flavor. It doesn't affect the ending, just provides drama as Shepard is injured.

Finally, letting joker and the Normandy pick you up, that has nothing to do with the choices you made throughout the game. You propose that it depends on you fleet rating, which is exactly the same criteria used for the rest of the endings.

See here's the problem, we aren't even on the same page. The endings with all their limitations on new story elements only exist because someone wrote it that way. We are approaching it with ways the endings could be if they took a different (better) approach. You are shooting down our arguments based on the fact that the ideas don't mesh with the ending as it is now. We don't want meshing, we want wholesale replacement surgery. It's like if we're at a restaurant and we're arguing that we don't like the pizza we were served. We propose new toppings on a new pie, you try to explain that the new toppings we asked for don't work well with the pizza we were just served. It isn't the same thing.

So can you let us be dissatisfied now? We're expressing discontent, you are expressing discontent against our discontent. Your energy is better served in a Mass Effect 3 Ending isn't totally bad thread. If it exists.

152. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 20:50 Dr. D. Schreber

but do we know that the garden worlds were razed beyond recovery? If you're sure of what the answers to your blantant obvious questions are, why do you need the writers to specify every scenario for you?

No, I'm not sure. Yet again, that's the problem. I have no way of being sure. All I have are guesses, for everything.

Also, I disagree with the fact that open ended endings is a sign of bad writing. A lot of literature and movies have endings that are open to interpretation. Blade Runner, Inception, just off of the top of my head (Not that ME3 is in the same league).

I have no problem with open endings. Mass Effect 3 does not have an open ending. It has a non-ending. The series as a whole is about making choices that change lives and the world around as you see fit each time you're given the opportunity. ME3 is about bringing closure to many of the chains of events we've seen going for the entire run. The end of ME3 makes all of that irrelevant, because the world is so drastically changed that we have no idea if any of the outcomes will hold, or any of our choices will have unintended consequences. This is not about "companions in an RPG must have post-game details," it's about having closure. PS:T had closure. Even the "best" ending isn't happy, but it gives you a sense of finality. You don't come away feeling like the whole quest was for nothing.

ME3 did not have closure. Because the setting changes so drastically in the last ten minutes, information about what happens to the people and societies you've been seeing and influencing for a three-year timeline is what it would need to have closure.

I will be perfectly satisfied if the DLC changes absolutely nothing and just gives me more detail on what happens post-choice, and more importantly, how previous choices influence it. Torching the setting and running is not my preferred method of ending a story (especially sci-fi, since it seems to be a trend lately, I'm looking at you, BSG) but it's not invalid. What's invalid is torching the setting and leaving the player to come up with the consequences of it on their own. You can be as optimistic about those consequences as you want, but just because you're optimistic doesn't magically create closure.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

151. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 20:33 Yifes

PropheT wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 19:41:
If you're willing to completely ignore the plot holes and to not think at all about what actually happened as a result of things that they'd established throughout the story of the game... I guess the ending could be fine (look, explosions! colors!). If you think about it at all, though?

Yes there are plot holes, but they're not as big as you think. The Normandy is not intact, but the portions that contain the crew are.

Making peace with the Quarians does not guarantee that no synthetic will EVER want to annihilate all organic life. As you can see throughout the series, the Geth have intelligence and change their motives just like any other species. The whole point of the Reapers is that they prune only the most advanced civilizations, in order to preserve organic life as a whole.

Finally, whether the fleet around earth was destroyed or not (I don't remember), the point is moot, because the important thing is that there are a significant amount of survivors remaining on their homeworld, which you saved.

150. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 20:22 Yifes

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 19:39:
The problem is we are not shown these things. It is bad writing to expect your audience to find their answers in fanfiction.

I don't need the next century for every species spelled out, I need the obvious, blatant questions that are completely ignored to be answered, and I need an absence of plot holes. I would be perfectly happy with an ending styled after New Vegas. Was it just still pictures in a literal slide machine with one line of narration each about the places I had been and the people I had met? Yes. Was it cheap and simple in terms of production values? Yes. Was it immeasurably more satisfying, providing me with closure for everything I had done, than ME3's ending?

So I was wrong about a post-scarcity society, but do we know that the garden worlds were razed beyond recovery? If you're sure of what the answers to your blantant obvious questions are, why do you need the writers to specify every scenario for you? I always thought the fallout endings were cheap and jarring in their execution, and tacking on a similar slideshow to the end of ME3 would not be the ideal solution. Correct me if I'm wrong but, did we ever find out what happened to TNO's companions after the game ended? That was by the guys behind Obsidian, and IMO, a better ending than NV or ME3.

149. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 20:09 Yifes

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 19:39:
The paths are only locked in almost completely separate from prior decisions because one bioware writer pulled rank and decided to make it that way. It would not be difficult to implement your choices into a final decision. Had I saved the Geth they could have presented me with a way to reprogram the crucible using their knowledge. Had I saved the Quarians they could present a different option. Had I saved both they could pool their knowledge and give a third option now that they're working together. Had enough of my crew survived maybe they could have provided additional fire support to distract Harbinger during that run. Maybe if I maxed out my fleet it gave Joker a window to fly the Normandy in and pick me up (it looked like we were on the outside of the citadel protected by an air shield, could be wrong).

It took the combined forces of the galaxy just to MAKE the crucible, based on design by the protheans based on designs passed down through countless cycles. They even had no idea what the thing did, and were just blindly following a blueprint. Its incredibly unlikely that they can ever come close to understanding it enough to reprogram it. Besides, who know what the crucible actually does? Maybe its just a communication device that lets you interact with the being behind the catalyst, and a conduit for its powers.

The final run on the Harbinger, that was just for cinematic flavor. It doesn't affect the ending, just provides drama as Shepard is injured.

Finally, letting joker and the Normandy pick you up, that has nothing to do with the choices you made throughout the game. You propose that it depends on you fleet rating, which is exactly the same criteria used for the rest of the endings.

148. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 20:00 dheer

Remember that horrible ending that made you pissed off, depressed, or both? We're going to give you more of it this summer! FREE!!!

Relive the experience of getting kicked in the stomach and betrayed all over again! This time with more clarity!

I wonder if he reads them, or if it's just for show.

147. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 19:52 Dr. D. Schreber

PropheT wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 19:41:
Yo dawg, we made synthetics to kill you and your synthetics so you don't get killed by synthetics. Oh wait, you already proved that wrong?

As assey as the ending is, this isn't a legitimate complaint. If you could actually say this to the Catalyst, it would just say you can't possibly guarantee that both peace with the geth will last and no one will ever invent new synthetics that will turn on their makers. It's not trying to save the "you" in that joke, it's trying to make sure that some form of organic life, somewhere, exists at any given time. There are even hints about this; the game makes sure to remind us earlier on that the Reapers skip non-space-faring civilizations.

146. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 19:47 Dev

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 19:39:
The paths are only locked in almost completely separate from prior decisions because one bioware writer pulled rank and decided to make it that way. It would not be difficult to implement your choices into a final decision.
I agree, a simple voice over with a few background pictures (perhaps as the credits roll) would suffice and be easy to do.

145. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 19:41 PropheT

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 19:11:
Well, actually no, because the end sequence with TIM changes depending on your interaction with him throughout the game.

The Normandy sequence, in my interpretation, is the most of the crew survived, since the ship is intact. The fact that any of your romantic options can step out of the ship means that any of those characters are potentially a survivor. They only show you your romantic interest to avoid having to animate every possible permutation of final crew composition.

And yes, the final score is the one major factor on your choice of cinematics. Viewed as a stand alone ending, it is disappointing. However, like I've been arguing the whole time, the final cinematic is only one portion of the ending, which takes place throughout the latter half of the game. My point is, ME3 had a bad ending cinematic, but not a bad ending. In any case, which choices that you make throughout the series do you think could've had a significant impact on the final sequence with the catalyst?

"Game Over" isn't a different ending. The sequence with TIM at the end results in him dying or you getting Game Over; the differences are minor at best.

The Normandy is not in tact. In the cutscene it clearly shows the back portion of the ship breaking up; the ship is destroyed. It crash lands, never to leave again, and survivors walk out based on your choice of color (assuming you had enough war assets to not just get minor things cut from the ending).

The entire sequence with the catalyst -is- the problem. It's fucking idiotic and terribly written drivel that has no place in the game. There is no way to make it better. What should have affected it? I don't know...making peace between the Geth and Quarians? Yo dawg, we made synthetics to kill you and your synthetics so you don't get killed by synthetics. Oh wait, you already proved that wrong? Choose a color.

The choices you made ultimately wind up meaning nothing. I would agree that the things you do leading up to the ending cinematic constitute the ending as well if so many of them weren't undone completely by that same ending cinematic. The Geth are wiped out in 2 of the 3 endings. The Quarian fleet was in orbit and hit by the same explosion that seemed to have disabled/destroyed the Normandy, and they can't survive without their ships (any of the 3 endings). It's not unreasonable to ascertain by the ending that nearly everyone you brought to the battle was destroyed or had their ships disabled by the explosion of the relays; no one knew what was happening when the Crucible activated, so it doesn't make sense that Joker was fleeing it, either, but we'll ignore that.

If you're willing to completely ignore the plot holes and to not think at all about what actually happened as a result of things that they'd established throughout the story of the game... I guess the ending could be fine (look, explosions! colors!). If you think about it at all, though?

144. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 19:39 Dr. D. Schreber

Reasonable points, but as you can see in game, even FTL travel allows you access to a number of systems each with numerous planets. The Krogan are a hardy race. They've lived for quite a long time as the Galactic equivalent of Cuba, and I doubt they'd suddenly die out once they're limited to their surrounding systems.

Except garden worlds are rare, and few if any of the homeworlds are within FTL range of one. For that matter, all the known garden worlds were colonized, which means the Reapers razed them just like Earth; there's nothing there to use.

Finally, we are talking about a post-scarcity universe here. You suspense your disbelief long enough to accept galaxy spanning civilizations, but you can't accept the fact that they can synthesize dextros food? Ridiculous.

Uh, no, it's not even close to post-scarcity. Do you actually know what that means? Goods still need time and effort-consuming labor and resources (gathered through labor and with an investment of resources) to be produced and moved. In ME2, you can ask the Citadel tour-guide VI why there are so many poor people around, and it tells you that poverty can't be solved without cornucopia technology. The quarians need ships dedicated to hydroponics to feed themselves. One look at Omega or Illium should be all you need.

This is not post-scarcity. Star Trek is post-scarcity, where matter replication on both a personal and industrial scale is not only easy but useable by everyone, and energy technology is efficient enough to produce a vast surplus. (This is also why the argument that the Federation is some sort of saccharine, communist hell is ridiculous, but that's another debate.)

Aside from that, as everyone has been saying, this is not the problem. Can I easily believe that the quarian liveships are sufficient to feed the quarian and turian forces stranded at earth? Yes, it's not a hard conclusion to draw. I can also believe that if I got the quarians killed, the turians will starve instead.

The problem is we are not shown these things. It is bad writing to expect your audience to find their answers in fanfiction.

I don't know what kind of ending you'd be satisfied with if you expect the writers to spell out the evolution for every race for the next century.

I don't need the next century for every species spelled out, I need the obvious, blatant questions that are completely ignored to be answered, and I need an absence of plot holes. I would be perfectly happy with an ending styled after New Vegas. Was it just still pictures in a literal slide machine with one line of narration each about the places I had been and the people I had met? Yes. Was it cheap and simple in terms of production values? Yes. Was it immeasurably more satisfying, providing me with closure for everything I had done, than ME3's ending?

Yes.

Which is funny, because I've always thought Mass Effect would be better as an Obsidian game.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2012, 19:45.

143. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 19:39 NegaDeath

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 19:24:
Of course, the choices you make with your companions will affect which option you personally want to pick, but it doesn't affect which options you are allowed to pick. Lets say you saved the Geth, does that mean that no AI is ever going to cause the eventual destruction of all organic life? And what if you cured the genophage. Does that mean now you can save the mass relays and only destroy the reapers? That's what I mean when I say choices you make with your companions won't necessarily have an effect on the ending. The choices you make with them are personal, and affect one group of people or species. The choice you make with the Catalyst is on a galactic scale, with millions of years of momentum behind it. The available paths are set long before Shepard and co made their impact on the galaxy.

The paths are only locked in almost completely separate from prior decisions because one bioware writer pulled rank and decided to make it that way. It would not be difficult to implement your choices into a final decision. Had I saved the Geth they could have presented me with a way to reprogram the crucible using their knowledge. Had I saved the Quarians they could present a different option. Had I saved both they could pool their knowledge and give a third option now that they're working together. Had enough of my crew survived maybe they could have provided additional fire support to distract Harbinger during that run. Maybe if I maxed out my fleet it gave Joker a window to fly the Normandy in and pick me up (it looked like we were on the outside of the citadel protected by an air shield, could be wrong).

I read somewhere that the writers regretted making it that so many of your team could die in ME2, apparently it gave them trouble working out the story connection problems to this game. It's like they over compensated and took the complete opposite approach this time.

142. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 19:28 Dev

A) Many people dislike the (insert whatever you want here such as "the ME3 ending").

B) Just because YOU like (insert from previous answer, such as "the ME3 ending"), doesn't mean everyone shares your personal opinion of it.

C) Just because YOU like it, doesn't invalidate everyones dislike.

D) Logical discussion can only change the open minded.

181 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo