Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut

BioWare announces Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut, a free DLC pack for Mass Effect 3 they hope will address widespread unhappiness with the conclusion of the action/RPG sequel. Here's word on the free DLC, which does not yet carry a release date:

BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts Inc. announced Mass Effect™ 3: Extended Cut, a downloadable content pack that will expand upon the events at the end of the critically acclaimed Action RPG. Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes. Coming this summer, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be available for download on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC for no extra charge*.

“We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player.” “We are all incredibly proud of Mass Effect 3 and the work done by Casey Hudson and team,” said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder of BioWare and General Manager of EA’s BioWare Label. “Since launch, we have had time to listen to the feedback from our most passionate fans and we are responding. With the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team’s artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe.”

Casey Hudson, Executive Producer of the Mass Effect series added, “We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player.”

View
181 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

61. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 14:46 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

Something like the "Deconstruction of Fallen Stars" episode from bab 5 would probably work, looking back from the future rather than that bullshit old guy not answering anything....  

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 14:44 jacobvandy

for no extra charge*.

* OFFER EXPIRES APRIL 12, 2014. INTERNET CONNECTION AND ORIGIN (EA), XBOX LIVE, OR PLAYSTATION NETWORK ACCOUNT REQUIRED. VALID ONLY AT THE ORIGIN CLIENT SOFTWARE (WWW.ORIGIN.COM/ABOUT), XBOX LIVE MARKETPLACE OR PLAYSTATION STORE. VALID WHEREVER MASS EFFECT 3 IS SOLD. MASS EFFECT 3 FULL GAME AND ORIGIN ACCOUNT (EA) REQUIRED TO USE/PLAY DOWNLOAD. OFFER MAY NOT BE SUBSTITUTED, EXCHANGED, SOLD OR REDEEMED FOR CASH OR OTHER GOODS OR SERVICES. MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER, GIFT CARD, REBATE OR DISCOUNT COUPON. PRODUCT SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. LIMIT ONE OFFER PER PERSON. YOU MUST MEET THE MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENTS, WHICH VARY BY COUNTRY, TO REGISTER FOR AN ORIGIN ACCOUNT (EA). EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON WWW.EA.COM/2/SERVICE-UPDATES.

Gotta love that corporate bullshit... On another note, EA was just voted the worst company in America, against Bank of America in the final showdown, lol.

59. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 14:30 Dr. D. Schreber

To dig into Penny Arcade's nonsense (and it is so much nonsense) a little more specifically...

I don’t know much about this one. I’m just not a big enough ME fan to know what’s supposed to happen when a Mass Relay explodes.

What I do know is that you can let yourself get bogged down by details like how long a Star Destroyer is or how many innocent people Luke murdered when he destroyed the Death Star, or you can try and enjoy it knowing that it all doesn’t match up perfectly.

"What happens when a mass relay explodes" is such a huge plot point that it raises questions about what's supposed to be going on in the ending, not a detail like "how long is a Star Destroyer," the answer to which is not something that can change the actual plot of Star Wars. Are all the worlds we worked so hard to save vaporized? Is the Crucible energy "different" from what happened in Arrival, and if so, why doesn't the game show us this? The problem here isn't that the ending may be the biggest inferred holocaust since Endor, there's nothing wrong with a downer ending in and of itself. The problem is that the presentation is mind-bogglingly confusing. If you have to step back and say to yourself "Well, maybe it's different than Arrival/maybe it's the exact same thing and it's a really downer ending," the writing is poor, plain and simple.

You can draw a direct comparison to the "Luke kills everyone on the Death Star" point with the Citadel. Everything that happened on the Citadel, all the NPCs you interacted with, are unresolved. Are there any survivors? Is Matriarch Athyta badassfully leading a resistance against husks/cannibals/indoctrinated civilians in the war-torn wards? Did the Reapers just drop nukes onto the Wards and sterilize the entire place, or did they want to catch all the humans living there first to throw into the goo bank? We don't care about how many people Luke killed on the Death Star because we see a few bit characters with no development, and the millions of others aren't even seen. If we'd spent more time on the Death Star, got to know some characters, their names, their jobs, their daily routines like we do with the Citadel, wouldn't we care more about them?

Furthermore, there's a difference between "unknown details" and "plot holes." The nature of what happens to the relays is an unknown detail. The fact that people can magically appear on the Normandy when it's not physically possible, even if they're dead, is a plot hole. This should not be a hard distinction to make, and the idea that something like this should be acceptable is beyond absurd.

The claim here is that five years worth of gaming is wrapped up in a ten minute cut scene. I guess this comes down to when you think the ending starts. Like Tycho, I consider Mass Effect 3 to be “the ending”.

This does not fix the problem of the last ten minutes completely bringing into question the entirety of events beforehand with gaping plot holes to boot.

For me the final scene of Joker and EDI stepping out of the ship into that jungle planet was very powerful. A new Adam and Eve in their Garden of Eden.

Adam and Eve endings are horseshit either as a literal event or symbolism. As a literal event, you don't need to put one iota of thought into it to realize that two people does not equal restarting civilization, nor does the Normandy have sufficient population for it to work in the other endings. That's assuming Joker and EDI even can bone and make babies, because it's not clear if the change is so extreme that she suddenly has a functioning reproductive system. As symbolism, it runs into the above problem of being completely unclear about what's actually happened to everything and everyone. It shouldn't be a matter of "does civilization restart/rebuild," it should be a matter of "does the cast we've been following begin the process of restarting/rebuilding."

Again if ME3 is the “ending” then I was making choices the entire time right up until the last second. I chose the “green” ending and I picked that out of three options. Were the other options similar to mine? I don’t know, I didn’t pick them.

Yeah, not the kind of thing you might want to research at all before discussing it. Youtube is right there.

Again, the presentation does not live up to this. Will different things happen if you destroy the Reapers instead of controlling them? Of course; maybe if you just control the Reapers and they leave, having the geth still around would make it much easier to fix the relays, whereas without the geth (if you either killed them or picked Destroy,) the stranded population has a much harder time and in-fighting breaks out over resources before travel is possible again.

The problem is, all of those are questions. We don't see anything different. We see the same cutscene with different colors depending on choice. The problem isn't lack of choice, the problem is that there is absolutely no follow-through. The game segues from this into plot-hole city (aka the Normandy suddenly not at Earth, with transporter and possibly resurrection technology) and that's it. We don't get to actually see the consequences of the choice, we don't get to see if anything we did in the game, in the entire series, or with our ending choice itself backfired in any way. If you pick Control but Shepard is renegade, does s/he come to agree with the Catalyst and restart the cycle eventually? Does Control/Paragon mean Shepard orders the Reapers to help repair the relays?

You don't need closure on every little detail, you don't need everything explained in an hour length monologue or five page wall of text. However, if you come away from something and the only thing you can do is come up with questions for fanfiction authors to answer, something is wrong, and it's not the negative fan reaction. As writers, they really should know better, but they don't. Penny Arcade is good for some ha-has and their charity work, but not serious discourse about creative works.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

58. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 14:21 Beelzebud

Bowing to pressure and changing the ending; proving to a lot of people that games are just a product, and not art. Artists stand by their work.

Way to go, Bioware! You're in the same "Story Teller" camp that Bethesda is in, except their games still have that open feeling of freedom in them, and still retain a few RPG concepts.

57. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 14:13 SXO

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 13:59:
Verno wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 12:41:
I only speak for myself but there were not three endings, it felt like one arbitrary ending with some variations. I wasn't a fan of never seen before characters and plot elements being introduced in the last 10 minutes of the game either. Also, in a series with a strong theme about teamwork and friendship I expected some explanation or continuity for the companions as well, though to be fair that was never promised. Maybe it worked for your Shepard but it didn't feel like a well written conclusion for mine. Finally there are some loopholes and disconnects between the writing and the cutscenes that are pretty jarring.

If you watch the endings side by side, sure, it cheapens the ending because of the extreme similarities. However, what makes each ending unique is if you watch each ending within the context of your choices leading up to it. The interpretation for each ending is drastically different if you decide to destroy the reapers vs say synthesis. Also, the nature of the catalyst was hinted at throughout ME3, and makes perfect sense if you consider why the Reapers never wiped out lower organic life forms in general. Also, each of your companions storylines were resolve quite nicely during the game itself, and the lead up to the final battle provides glimpses into the future lives of your surviving teammates. Finally, the ending sequence with Joker, EDI, and your romantic option stepping out of the crashed Normandy into a new world full of hope was well done and quite powerful.
It would be quite powerful if it made sense. Explain to me how Joker and the crew got to the relay before it exploded, used it to jump to another system, and survived the explosion of the relay in that system to end up crash landing on a habitable system. As for the catalyst, it only makes sense if you don't try to make sense of it. And this is just scratching the surface of how ridiculous the ending(s) is/are.

56. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 14:11 El Pit

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 14:09:
avianflu wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 14:07:
The "starchild" plot mechanism will be infamous in gaming lore and rightly so.

I suppose one thing we can take away from this is developers will be more hesitant to "pull a Bioware" in the future. Or maybe we'll call it "pull a Starchild" instead.

They Flagshipped the ending, you mean?

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

55. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 14:09 NegaDeath

avianflu wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 14:07:

I suppose one thing we can take away from this is developers will be more hesitant to "pull a Bioware" in the future. Or maybe we'll call it "pull a Starchild" instead.

54. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 14:07 avianflu

53. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 13:59 Yifes

Verno wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 12:41:
I only speak for myself but there were not three endings, it felt like one arbitrary ending with some variations. I wasn't a fan of never seen before characters and plot elements being introduced in the last 10 minutes of the game either. Also, in a series with a strong theme about teamwork and friendship I expected some explanation or continuity for the companions as well, though to be fair that was never promised. Maybe it worked for your Shepard but it didn't feel like a well written conclusion for mine. Finally there are some loopholes and disconnects between the writing and the cutscenes that are pretty jarring.

If you watch the endings side by side, sure, it cheapens the ending because of the extreme similarities. However, what makes each ending unique is if you watch each ending within the context of your choices leading up to it. The interpretation for each ending is drastically different if you decide to destroy the reapers vs say synthesis. Also, the nature of the catalyst was hinted at throughout ME3, and makes perfect sense if you consider why the Reapers never wiped out lower organic life forms in general. Also, each of your companions storylines were resolve quite nicely during the game itself, and the lead up to the final battle provides glimpses into the future lives of your surviving teammates. Finally, the ending sequence with Joker, EDI, and your romantic option stepping out of the crashed Normandy into a new world full of hope was well done and quite powerful.

52. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 13:52 Yifes

Jerykk wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 12:37:
I think you need to go back and rewatch the endings. They are almost exactly the same, with very minor differences.

Yes I know, and it's very lazy for them on the part of the animators. But the choice that you made is what matters, and those were 3 very different choices. The other answers you were looking for, like what happened to the Geth and the Krogans, is not within the scope of ME3 to tell. Saving the Geth and reviving the Krogans IS the ending for their story arcs. It would take generations for the ramifications of such action to unfold, and they would have incredibly complex interactions with the rest of the ME universe. Giving it a minute long summary tacked on in the end would be inappropriate.

51. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 13:47 Tumbler

*rolls eyes*

I have a feeling we're just going to get a collection of clips that feel more rushed and careless than the ending itself.

They had their chance to do the right thing and they ignored it.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

50. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 13:45 NegaDeath

Mass Effect 1:
Saren - "We must submit to the Reapers to survive!"
Me - "Screw you Saren, we fight"
Sovereign - "Your destruction is inevitable"
Me - "Screw you Sovereign, we fight"

Mass Effect 2
Harbinger - "We're still coming, your destruction is still inevitable"
Me - "Screw you Harbinger, we fight"

Mass Effect 3
Illusive Man - "We can control them Shepard"
Me - "Screw you man, we fight"

Mass Effect 3 Ending
BieberGhost - "I am the creator of the Reapers. Here are three choices. In all three you die. All three have terrible consequences. Do what I say"
Me - "Yeah that seems fair" Huh

Even kids would know from Sesame Street that one of these things is not like the other. Not sure how extending and explaining terrible results will make it better.

49. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 13:03 LurkerLito

nutshell42 wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 12:21:
Doesn't make any sense. Jarvik is a soldier and wouldn't know more about mass relays than you do about string theory or would be able to build a F-22 from scratch.

No, the thing is that one of the Prothean relays was on the Citadel. I didn't read anywhere that they removed it so the Alliance could just discover it in the debris (see: Cerberus and the remains of the Collector base if you destroyed it) and, in time, copy it.

I didn't have Jarvik since I won't pay EA for stuff they removed from the game so I didn't know he was a soldier and not a scientist like Morden, but it doesn't matter. It makes perfect sense that Jarvik would play a major role. He may be a soldier but I expect he can read and translate Prothean better than anyone else alive. He doesn't have to know anything about Prothean science, he just has to be able to help the surviving scientists with translation from where ever they find the plans for the relays.

48. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 12:57 Verno

NKD wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 12:53:
Why anyone bought ME3 after the DA2 debacle is beyond me. Suckers deserved all the rape they got IMHO.

Totally different teams worked on the products, ME3 is genuinely a very good game that happens to have a lackluster ending.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

47. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 12:57 Creston

There are days when I truly, truly love the Internet.

Go here for a better ending. Personalized to most of your choices.

http://shannon.users.sonic.net/masseffect/

Creston

46. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 12:56 briktal

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 12:30:
And read the PA link. The entire game is the ending to the trilogy.

Serious question: how often do people think this? Not just for Mass Effect but for other trilogies.

45. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 12:53 NKD

Why anyone bought ME3 after the DA2 debacle is beyond me. Suckers deserved all the rape they got IMHO.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

44. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 12:45 Leetmouse

This is exactly what I took from that as well. same same, just more of it.

SXO wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 10:01:
It's amazing how people can still be in denial. I thought the wording in this was quite clear that nothing is being changed, they are merely extending the cutscenes to further elaborate what happened to everyone. All the problems with the ending still stand, and this is exactly what I predicted.

43. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 12:41 Creston

nutshell42 wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 12:21:
The next game can take place several hundred years in the future and the mass relays can be rebuilt with the help of the prothean survivor you have as a crew mate.

Doesn't make any sense. Jarvik is a soldier and wouldn't know more about mass relays than you do about string theory or would be able to build a F-22 from scratch.

No, the thing is that one of the Prothean relays was on the Citadel. I didn't read anywhere that they removed it so the Alliance could just discover it in the debris (see: Cerberus and the remains of the Collector base if you destroyed it) and, in time, copy it.

Copying it won't work either, as the races have been trying to do that for hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of years. They're just not technologically advanced enough to do that. maybe they will in 10,000 years, but that's so far ahead it's essentially pointless from a story standpoint.

Creston

42. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 12:41 Verno

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 12:30:
What are you talking about? How is destroying all the reapers, controlling the reapers, and merging with the reapers "ONE" ending? And read the PA link. The entire game is the ending to the trilogy. Your choices drastically changes how the story ends for many of the key characters in the series (ie. Tali, Legion, Wrex, Mordin, etc). The final sequence is just the ending to Shepard's story.

There have been several massive topics and write ups both here and other places about what is wrong with the ending already. I only speak for myself but there were not three endings, it felt like one arbitrary ending with some variations. I wasn't a fan of never seen before characters and plot elements being introduced in the last 10 minutes of the game either. Also, in a series with a strong theme about teamwork and friendship I expected some explanation or continuity for the companions as well, though to be fair that was never promised. Maybe it worked for your Shepard but it didn't feel like a well written conclusion for mine. Finally there are some loopholes and disconnects between the writing and the cutscenes that are pretty jarring.

DA:O had a wall of text and a little wrap party, they were fairly threadbare but still felt more organic while letting you fill in the blanks with your imagination.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

181 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo