Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut

BioWare announces Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut, a free DLC pack for Mass Effect 3 they hope will address widespread unhappiness with the conclusion of the action/RPG sequel. Here's word on the free DLC, which does not yet carry a release date:

BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts Inc. announced Mass Effect™ 3: Extended Cut, a downloadable content pack that will expand upon the events at the end of the critically acclaimed Action RPG. Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes. Coming this summer, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be available for download on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC for no extra charge*.

“We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player.” “We are all incredibly proud of Mass Effect 3 and the work done by Casey Hudson and team,” said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder of BioWare and General Manager of EA’s BioWare Label. “Since launch, we have had time to listen to the feedback from our most passionate fans and we are responding. With the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team’s artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe.”

Casey Hudson, Executive Producer of the Mass Effect series added, “We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player.”

View
181 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

101. removed Apr 5, 2012, 17:32 Yifes

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 5, 2012, 18:52.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

100. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 17:29 Dev

Dades wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 17:07:
Dev wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 17:05:
I'm quite surprised this is free given EA & bioware history.

I wonder though, will used copies also get this free, or will they have to pay?

It's free because charging for it would be perceived as charging for the real ending and would likely permanently damage the franchise.
It's EA, they could get away with it. Fans would forget and forgive them by the time the next ME came out.

99. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 17:27 Mordecai Walfish

Mass Effect 3: Extra Circumcised Raw-Dick Edition. For those of you that didn't get dick'd hard enough the first time around!

Coming soon!

98. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 17:24 Yifes

Dades wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 17:03:
You asked people to explain what they didn't like about the ending but it doesn't seem like any reasoning will satisfy you, all you're doing is picking apart anything people say. If there's a double standard then it goes both ways.

Then I guess you missed the point where I agree that the ending is vague and full of plot holes. If that is your reasoning for disliking the ending, I have no problems with it. If you prefer a "everyone lives happily ever after ending" then that's ok too. Go watch the original SW trilogy. Its when people complain that your choices don't matter, that's what I'm arguing against. Again, you seem to join a thread late, and miss the point.

97. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 17:17 Yifes

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 17:04:
Actually no, you know the status of jack shit because the ending is so vague and full of plot holes it's impossible to tell what's going on without guessing. The ending blows the setting so far out of the water that it's literally impossible for any of the resolutions you've seen until that point to be viable outcomes after the fact.

It doesn't blow the setting out of the water. You know they still have FTL technology. You know certain members of your crew survived. You know that a minor portion of each race is trapped on Earth.

What, you expect all of Krogan society to collapse because there's no more mass effect relays? Every resolution up to the finale is still viable, except for Geth if you choose the destroy all synthetic option.

96. removed Apr 5, 2012, 17:12 RollinThundr

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 5, 2012, 18:54.

95. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 17:07 Dades

Dev wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 17:05:

It's free because charging for it would be perceived as charging for the real ending and would likely permanently damage the franchise.

94. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 17:05 Dev

93. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 17:04 Dr. D. Schreber

Well, you know the status of your remaining companions, at least the ones on the Normandy. They live, seeing as Joker's alive. You know the status of the different races: Geth/Quarians working together, etc, that was resolved before the end. The galaxy is not fucked, as they still have FTL technology. Just relatively isolated.

Actually no, you know the status of jack shit because the ending is so vague and full of plot holes it's impossible to tell what's going on without guessing. The ending blows the setting so far out of the water that it's literally impossible for any of the resolutions you've seen until that point to be viable outcomes after the fact.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2012, 17:09.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

92. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 17:03 Dades

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 16:39:
Not what I was saying at all. Do you want cliff notes? It seems like you have a habit of jumping late into a conversation and only picking up part of the discussion. And if you have a problem with the way I defend Bioware's decision after the trashing it got on these forums, then you have some serious double standards.

Defending their decision? Interesting choice of words and very telling of your mindset here. I'm not the one asking people whats wrong with the ending and defending it so vigorously when all of this stuff is a known quantity. It got trashed everywhere including Biowares own forums, something like 90% unhappy with the ending in a massive poll on their forums.

You asked people to explain what they didn't like about the ending but it doesn't seem like any reasoning will satisfy you, all you're doing is picking apart anything people say. If there's a double standard then it goes both ways.

People put a lot of time and money into a series built around choice and the ending choices felt very limited and artificial in their differences. Maybe you felt the characters got a satisfactory conclusion but obviously many many people disagreed so they're doing a bit more for those people. What's the problem then?

91. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 17:00 Yifes

Creston wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 16:49:
Choose blue ending : Reapers fly away. Gates blow up. Normandy crashlands somewhere. Galaxy is fucked, because gates are destroyed. Status of all races and squad mates : Unknown.

Choose green ending : Reapers... whatever. Gates blow up. Normandy crashlands somewhere. Galaxy is fucked, because gates are destroyed, and everyone just got turned into a new being because Shepard thought that was the best solution.
Status of all races and squad mates : Unknown.

Choose red ending : Reapers go boom (yay!). Gates blow up. Normandy crashlands somewhere. galaxy is fucked, because gates are destroyed.

Now, can I make my imagination come up with theoretical possibilities for all of those? Sure. If shepard controls the Reapers, he can probably have them make new gates. But how will the galaxy react to seeing the Reapers still there? They'll probably demand they be destroyed. Can they even still talk to Shepard and demand he takes them elsewhere? Maybe they can, maybe they can't. Maybe Mac Walters Space Kid becomes ambassador to the Alliance for the Reapers, and speaks for Shepard, and he storms out screaming "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!" when the Council politely though firmly informs him he needs to take his fucking genocide machines, and go get himself fucked.

Yes, I can imagine all these things. I can imagine a million more. I paid Bioware around 200 fucking dollars in total so I didn't have to imagine it MY FUCKING SELF.

Creston

Well, you know the status of your remaining companions, at least the ones on the Normandy. They live, seeing as Joker and the crew are alive. You know the status of the different races: Geth/Quarians working together, a Krogan renaissance etc, that was resolved before the end. The galaxy is not fucked, as they still have FTL technology. Just relatively isolated.

Also, I paid Bioware around $200 to play 3 games, not for a 10 minute cinematic. If that's the only thing you care about, no wonder you feel screwed.

90. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 16:57 briktal

Creston wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 16:50:
EricFate wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 15:37:
But will the extended cut scenes be properly color coded?

Here's a screenshot of the new ending.

Creston

I like this one better.

89. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 16:50 Creston

EricFate wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 15:37:
But will the extended cut scenes be properly color coded?

Here's a screenshot of the new ending.

Creston

88. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 16:49 Creston

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 15:18:
Creston wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 15:01:
Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 13:52:
But the choice that you made is what matters, and those were 3 very different choices.

3 very different choices!

:-yawn-:

Creston

Try to think about your actions within context of the story, instead of just watching a cutscene. It's a whole game, and the end cutscene is just a part of the ending. I know its hard, but try not to let the pretty flashing lights distract you, k?

Choose blue ending : Reapers fly away. Gates blow up. Normandy crashlands somewhere. Galaxy is fucked, because gates are destroyed. Status of all races and squad mates : Unknown.

Choose green ending : Reapers... whatever. Gates blow up. Normandy crashlands somewhere. Galaxy is fucked, because gates are destroyed, and everyone just got turned into a new being because Shepard thought that was the best solution.

Choose red ending : Reapers go boom (yay!). Gates blow up. Normandy crashlands somewhere. galaxy is fucked, because gates are destroyed.

Now, can I make my imagination come up with theoretical possibilities for all of those? Sure. If shepard controls the Reapers, he can probably have them make new gates. But how will the galaxy react to seeing the Reapers still there? They'll probably demand they be destroyed. Can they even still talk to Shepard and demand he takes them elsewhere? Maybe they can, maybe they can't. Maybe Mac Walters Space Kid becomes ambassador to the Alliance for the Reapers, and speaks for Shepard, and he storms out screaming "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!" when the Council politely though firmly informs him he needs to take his fucking genocide machines, and go get himself fucked.

Yes, I can imagine all these things. I can imagine a million more. I paid Bioware around 200 fucking dollars in total so I didn't have to imagine it MY FUCKING SELF.

Creston

87. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 16:48 Yifes

Dades wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 16:29:
We heard you the first time, after you asked what people didn't like about the ending which was apparently code for you to dump all over others and tell them to read harry potter. When people say they had a problem with the ending, they don't mean the whole game which is the third part in a trilogy. Calling the entire game an ending is sidestepping what people had a problem with.

Also, Harry Potter is not an insult. I read Harry Potter, or else how would I know the ending? The point is, Harry Potter wraps up every character's story in neat little ribbons of how everyone lives happily ever after. Change it to Return of the Jedi if that's more palatable for you, with the dancing ghosts and Ewoks.

86. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 16:44 Creston

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 15:12:
SXO wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 14:13:
It would be quite powerful if it made sense. Explain to me how Joker and the crew got to the relay before it exploded, used it to jump to another system, and survived the explosion of the relay in that system to end up crash landing on a habitable system. As for the catalyst, it only makes sense if you don't try to make sense of it. And this is just scratching the surface of how ridiculous the ending(s) is/are.

How do you know they're in a mass relay? They could be just using their FTL drive to travel to a neighboring system. Also, how do you know the world is new? They could've just landing in some jungle in an already inhabited system. When I say new world, I was speaking of a post reaper era, not literally an unexplored system. Also, the timeline isn't exactly clear. We don't know what exactly the Normandy was up to during those last moments, or in fact how long the destruction of the mass relays took, or when the destruction of the relays started with relation to the rest of the battle.

Sure would've been nice to know, huh?

Creston

85. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 16:40 NegaDeath

An interesting article with comments from one of the writers who says they were locked out for the ending. It explains a lot. A preview:

Every other mission in the game had to be held up to the rest of the writing team, and the writing team then picked it apart and made suggestions and pointed out the parts that made no sense. This mission? Casey and our lead deciding that they didn’t need to be peer-reviewed.

link

84. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 16:39 Yifes

Dades wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 16:29:
We heard you the first time, after you asked what people didn't like about the ending which was apparently code for you to dump all over others and tell them to read harry potter. When people say they had a problem with the ending, they don't mean the whole game which is the third part in a trilogy. Calling the entire game an ending is sidestepping what people had a problem with.

Not what I was saying at all. Do you want cliff notes? It seems like you have a habit of jumping late into a conversation and only picking up part of the discussion. And if you have a problem with the way I defend Bioware's decision after the trashing it got on these forums, then you have some serious double standards.

83. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 16:29 Dades

82. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 16:22 Yifes

Eh, enough arguing over the internet. Here's my last 2 cents:

ME3 is a great ending to the series. You got to shape this ending, depending on the decisions you made throughout the series. Wrex could've been in charge of the Krogans, or his idiotic warmonger brother Wreave. Mordin could've gave up his life to save Eve and the Krogan race, or not. The Quarians could've learned to live with the Geth or not, and if you chose the Geth over the Quarians, you would've seen one of the most poignant scenes in all of gaming as Tali commits suicide. Miranda dies to kill her father and save her sister. Gaming is an interactive medium, and you as the gamer got to take part in this ending throughout the latter half of the game.

And you got to see the results of your actions: Mordin becomes a hero to the Krogan race, or Wreave readies his troops for intergalactic conquest. The Geth help the Quarians rebuild their homeworld. You mourn for the death of those you lost along the way. That is the epitaph to the story of your companions. That's what matters.

Yes the final cinematic is cheap, vague and full of plot holes as Bioware tries to illustrate 3 outcomes with one set of cinematics, but it was only a small part of the conclusion. I had a great time leading up to the finale, and if you view the game as a complete interactive experience, ME3 was a great conclusion to a great series.

181 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo