Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Loses Consumerist Poll

The Consumerist has the results of their voting for Worst Company In America For 2012, with Electronic Arts taking this dubious distinction. The final vote was between EA and Bank of America, with EA "winning" by a landslide. Forbes has their analysis of what this means (thanks Verno), and GamesIndustry International has a response from EA, quoting John Reseburg of EA Corporate Communications saying: "We're sure that bank presidents, oil, tobacco and weapons companies are all relieved they weren't on the list this year. We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide."

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

70. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 6, 2012, 17:15 Mordecai Walfish

Prez wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 03:04:
Elessar wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 10:11:
Prez, just wanted to point how how enjoyable it has been reading your posts in this thread. It's the epitome of open-mindedness and understanding that seems to be missing in many facets of our society. Be it gaming, politics or whatever else. Good show.

Wow - I don't get many compliments for my posts around here, but thanks!

I have to agree with this. In many threads I've read (including this one) you do provide a refreshing voice of reason. Kudos +2

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 6, 2012, 03:04 Prez

Elessar wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 10:11:
Prez, just wanted to point how how enjoyable it has been reading your posts in this thread. It's the epitome of open-mindedness and understanding that seems to be missing in many facets of our society. Be it gaming, politics or whatever else. Good show.

Wow - I don't get many compliments for my posts around here, but thanks!

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

68. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 18:56 Saboth

Hey, whatever floats your boat. If kids want to put up with spyware, limited rights and signing contracts to play games, that's their business. I haven't done business with EA in about 2 years, nor Ubisoft either. Do they feel it? Probably not, but I also don't have Origin on my computer and they are a few hundred dollars poorer.  

67. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 17:00 Mordecai Walfish

elefunk wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 23:22:
No one is forcing you to purchase EA games or use EA services to be a "serious gamer".

For fuck's sake, no one's forcing you to play games in the first place.

nin wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 23:22:
I strongly disagree.

You're both absolutely right, I really could have worded that better.

I guess with so many outfits under their umbrella you at least will have to consider their games if you're a serious gamer, the reason being that as one you will likely communicate with other gamers, who will in turn recommend you titles that they have enjoyed under the EA umbrella. The last one I purchased was Mass Effect 1, and that was for Steam, on sale for $4. I still haven't played it yet, but that is likely the only EA game I have bought in the past 5 years, LOL.

I boycotted getting Battlefield 3, even though I very much enjoy playing the series with some good friends of mine from around the world on VOIP (whoops.. just realized the other game by EA I've bought in the past 5 years.. Bad Company 2 on Steam). I actually do have Battlefield 3 installed now, but only because a buddy in Scotland purchased me a copy when it was on sale for $25 a couple weeks ago, as a random gift, and I told him I'd give it a try. The system they have in place juggling between Origin, Web Browser and the actual game itself is a nightmare, and it's pretty obvious it would have never turned out like this if it wasn't for EA's involvement.

So, yes.. point taken, but they are anything but easy to avoid for *me*, unfortunately. It's taken extra consideration on my part when seeing a few new "blockbuster" titles to know I shouldn't be supportive of the corporation backing them, especially with a history of playing titles from some of the once great developers they represent.

elefunk wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 23:22:
Everyone needs a bank. Everyone

Not true. Every credit card wielding, debt inducing individual might feel like they "need" a bank, and those that need storage facilities for their hoard, but far from "everyone". Some folks are alright living by their means and trading with their local communities, instead of trusting their future to corrupt financial institutions. Call it third world or whatever you want, but many people get by just fine without. In most of the developed world people are just born into this banking system and it's all they will know.

66. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 15:08 nin

Woody?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

65. removed Apr 5, 2012, 14:48 venomhed

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 5, 2012, 15:16.

64. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 14:16 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

Whilst I have little love for EA over what they did to Origin, Bullfrog and now Bioware, I have to admit that John's quote did make me chuckle.  

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez

63. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 13:18 NKD

Creston wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 13:09:
I love how, in the Land of the Free, people will still bitch endlessly about others not feeling exactly the same way they do.

You can be free, as long as you do and feel exactly what should make the most sense according to me!

Rolleyes

Creston

Yeah, and if you don't agree, you're called a shill. Truly sad, I agree.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

62. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 13:09 Creston

I love how, in the Land of the Free, people will still bitch endlessly about others not feeling exactly the same way they do.

You can be free, as long as you do and feel exactly what should make the most sense according to me!

Rolleyes

Creston

61. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 12:05 Burrito of Peace

NKD wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 11:06:

Sounds like he's trying to...

..troll and you bit the hardest on it.

Congratulations.

60. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 11:06 NKD

Also Creston I'm still waiting to hear how I'm an EA shill because I believe people who kill babies are worse than EA.

EDIT: Edited out quote of racist pig who got deleted.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2012, 15:03.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

59. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 10:50 nin

Oh please elaborate...

edit: removing original quote, since Blue removed post.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2012, 12:24.

58. removed Apr 5, 2012, 10:49 venomhed

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 5, 2012, 12:14.

57. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 10:11 Elessar

Verno wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 09:24:
And I really loved this quote too:

I believe EA is a destructive force in the industry as their goal isnít the make gaming more accessible and respected as a medium. How can you argue that video games are art, when pieces of the story are cleaved out to be sold separately? This is why the titans of the gaming industry like EA are passionately hated, while movie studios and TV networks donít draw nearly as much ire. 3D price gouging seems downright generous when compared to the tricks companies like EA are using to wring more money out of consumers.
This was a great quote.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

56. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 10:10 nin

Iurand wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 04:29:
NKD wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:52:
I challenge any one of you to point out, objectively, why you believe EA is the worst company in America.

Because Ubisoft is from France.

You clearly need to be posting more.

55. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 09:24 Verno

People getting mad about the poll results are silly. Most people are going to vote for whatever has directly impacted them the most. As in stuff they have personally dealt with, not things that affect the nation as a whole or whatever. It's an online poll so it was going to be skewed no matter what as well. The real mystery is how either company beat Ticketmaster, that company is a bunch of scumbags

It's nice to see EA get the drudging they have worked so hard to achieve over the past two years. The Forbes write up has a good summary:

The trade right now seems to be that gamers pay EA a tax in order to access titles they love.

And I really loved this quote too:

I believe EA is a destructive force in the industry as their goal isnít the make gaming more accessible and respected as a medium. How can you argue that video games are art, when pieces of the story are cleaved out to be sold separately? This is why the titans of the gaming industry like EA are passionately hated, while movie studios and TV networks donít draw nearly as much ire. 3D price gouging seems downright generous when compared to the tricks companies like EA are using to wring more money out of consumers.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

54. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 09:16 eRe4s3r

Well.. Tobacco industry sells you a working product, It's not their fault people are stupid enough to smoke a nerve toxin that not only kills the smoker, but damages the health of anyone around him as well. Since people buy suicide on rates, and they get suicide on rates, i would think customer satisfaction is extremely high, those unsatisfied are usually dead. So yeah

In the same vein, the Weapon Industry usually sells working products that do what they advertise. Customer satisfaction is extremely high, and if not then when a weapon fails when you REALLY need it you are usually dead anyway. So yeah

Banks are too easy a target, all banks are evil. There is no "but" or "if" or "maybe" - interest is evil and will be the end of capitalism. But that is not a bad thing So yeah

EA on the other hand, sells entertainment products that often fail to entertain with an attitude that is akin to the vault overseers in Fallout. They are the true evil, choking innovation, extinguishing interesting game concepts for the greater sequel of whatever god.

53. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 09:06 theyarecomingforyou

Hardly surprising. I had to deal with EA support twice recently after they decided I'd used too many activations for Crysis 2. I think had the pleasure of dealing with two Indian support staff, who used cut and paste responses and who barely had idea what I was actually saying... they managed to fix my issue but I shouldn't have had to do that in the first place.

Fuck EA. Absolutely disgusting company. I won't touch any of their games, regardless of how much people talk about BF3 or ME3. I'll save my money for companies that actually treat their customers with respect.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

52. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 08:53 Spektr

At the same time the guy has a point. Regardless of how many reasons to grieve the company gives us, they are little players compared to what takes place in the armament and tobacco industries. Not to mention banks. Not to mention that their actions impact a lot more people that a video game company.  

51. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 08:39 DedEye

"We're sure that bank presidents, oil, tobacco and weapons companies are all relieved they weren't on the list this year. We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide."

Typical and expected response.

I work for a large corporation (for now). They're bleeding people and so struck a committee made up of staff for feedback as to why. A couple people from management got involved weeks later and watered the report down. Nothing has changed, people continue to leave, and they can't figure out why?!?!?

Love the post re: Ubi!

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo