Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Loses Consumerist Poll

The Consumerist has the results of their voting for Worst Company In America For 2012, with Electronic Arts taking this dubious distinction. The final vote was between EA and Bank of America, with EA "winning" by a landslide. Forbes has their analysis of what this means (thanks Verno), and GamesIndustry International has a response from EA, quoting John Reseburg of EA Corporate Communications saying: "We're sure that bank presidents, oil, tobacco and weapons companies are all relieved they weren't on the list this year. We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide."

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

30. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 23:07 Mordecai Walfish

I voted Bank of America on that poll, but later wanted to change it because of the monopolistic nature that EA holds it's customer in.

Being a serious gamer pretty much requires you to purchase EA games and use EA services because they own (and have obliterated) so many of the producers and games that us as gamers enjoy.

Skank of America is a humongous, corrupt, and evil corporation as well, but I do have the choice to go to the local community credit union and get all of the same services I would have gotten from BoA. (and I do exercise that choice).

That is what made me want to change my vote after casting it, but sadly I couldn't. Looks like it really didn't matter though, as I hear EA "won" by a landslide.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 22:58 TurdFergasun

NKD wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 22:01:

It's not just this poll. This poll is meaningless and will be forgotten in a few days. It's what the poll represents. The absurd frivolous attitude of consumers today, especially gamers.

It's that kind of frivolous thinking that I absolutely despise.

so what kind of result would show the frivolous, absurd attitude of corporatist parasites today that someone so seemingly entrenched in it's entrails as yourself could have a chance at swallowing?

it's your kind of apologist thinking that makes me wish my optic nerves could quantum tunnel to the back of my head 5 minutes prior to reading any of your drivel.

Congratulations ea, a well deserved helping of your own medicine. Savor it, bask in the steamy goodness that is the fruit hatched from your own diseased loins.

28. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 22:56 Dades

Prez wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:55:
Well, if you look at the way the poll is done, it's a mirror image of the NCAA March Madness tournament. So a company that may be worse than EA might have not made it to the next bracket for whatever reason. Just modeling it after the Final 4 bracket gives it a tongue-in-cheek feeling, and to get all bent out of shape over it like you are seems a bit silly.

It's not just this poll. This poll is meaningless and will be forgotten in a few days. It's what the poll represents. The absurd frivolous attitude of consumers today, especially gamers. They are completely disconnected from the much more serious issues our country faces. Corporations and government organizations get more power and influence over our lives every day, but what is #1 on peoples list of worries? DLC, and game endings.

It's an online poll that wasn't restricted to north american IP addresses, of course EA won. They have a worldwide presence and most people don't have any idea how they were impacted by other companies on the list. Stop being so dramatic. The poll didn't ask people to vote on who foreclosed the most mortgages or kicked the most puppies.

EA's my least favorite game company, but the biggest threat they are to the public is that they make bad video games. It's not even an essential good, let alone a product that puts the company in a position to actually harm the public good.

EA listed some companies in its response that it felt were more deserving but most of those companies were disqualified because they've already won.

27. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 22:52 HorrorScope

NKD wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:41:
the games industry has zero lobbying power or political influence.

You don't think they fight about keeping freedoms in games and try their best to sell guns and ammo to little johnny?

26. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 22:36 eunichron

The poll was rigged by /v/.

I at least got a kick out of:

Traditionally, the Poo has been delivered on its little red pillow. But this year, we'll give EA three different color options for its pillow, though in the end it's still the same old Poo.

But I'm still going to play BF3, and enjoy it.

25. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 22:33 deqer

ViRGE wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:46:
Beelzebud wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:38:
Anyone who thinks EA is actually worse than Bank of America needs to get a new set of priorities.

I hate EA, but FFS....
Agreed. EA's my least favorite game company, but the biggest threat they are to the public is that they make bad video games. It's not even an essential good, let alone a product that puts the company in a position to actually harm the public good.

Calling EA the worst company in America just seems so petty.
You obviously haven't been through a Customer Service experience with EA yet then.

24. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 22:23 NKD

Prez wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 22:08:
In the big scheme of things, no, videogame companies nickle-and-diming customers to death isn't the worst thing, but I'd hate to live in a world where only the most heinous, egregious offenses were considered wrong and worth pointing out.

I agree, but this poll asks what is the worst company in America, not merely the worst game developer, or "Pick a random cmopany you don't like very much." So for EA to win, people have to either A) Actually believe it's the worst company in America, or B) Respond dishonestly to the poll.

If people want EA to change how they run their business, they need to stop giving them money. Anyone who complains about EA and then proceeds to continue to give them money and reward them for their behavior is a piece of shit.

They create entertainment products. Completely non-essential products where people are not forced by circumstance to do business with them. EA, unlike so many other companies in this country, cannot hold customers hostage. The customer can completely forgo the use of EA products with little to no impact on their personal lives.

But they don't do it. EA is successful because people voluntarily give them money. They are not the oil industry that takes money from just about everyone at some point. They are not a government contractor that takes your tax money whether you like it or not.

I'm absolutely not saying that EA should be given a free pass. But there's a huge margin between "free pass" and "WORST COMPANY EVAR"

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

23. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 22:08 Prez

It's not just this poll. This poll is meaningless and will be forgotten in a few days. It's what the poll represents. The absurd frivolous attitude of consumers today, especially gamers. They are completely disconnected from the much more serious issues our country faces. Corporations and government organizations get more power and influence over our lives every day, but what is #1 on peoples list of worries? DLC, and game endings.

Based on this argument I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that you are one of the many people in the country who have trouble "compartmentalizing". Just because there are terrible things in the world, no one is allowed to consider anything else important, or participate in activities of less grave importance? Being able to compartmentalize allows people to keep from going crazy. Otherwise, no one would go to the mall or the movies, because , you know, there is a war going on in Afghanistan! People are dying! And while we're at it, we need to cancel Thanksgiving dinner across America, because somewhere, someone is hungry. Being unable to compartmentalize means never allowing yourself to enjoy the fortunes you do enjoy that others may not. There's a limit to how much worrying anyone can do about everything, especially when their (EDIT: That would be "there") is precious little most of us can do about a whole lot of things.

In the big scheme of things, no, videogame companies nickle-and-diming customers to death isn't the worst thing, but I'd hate to live in a world where only the most heinous, egregious offenses were considered wrong and worth pointing out.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2012, 22:23.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

22. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 22:04 MajorD

Congrats EA, well earned, and well deserved.

Hey John Reseburg, deflect it and/or spin it any way you want, but the polls don't lie you self righteous egotistical prick!!!

21. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 22:01 NKD

Well, if you look at the way the poll is done, it's a mirror image of the NCAA March Madness tournament. So a company that may be worse than EA might have not made it to the next bracket for whatever reason. Just modeling it after the Final 4 bracket gives it a tongue-in-cheek feeling, and to get all bent out of shape over it like you are seems a bit silly.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

20. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 21:57 Dev

NKD wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:41:
In addition, the games industry has zero lobbying power or political influence.
False.
You don't think the game industry is trying to stop unconstitutional laws in california and other states about selling games? You don't think the game industry is trying to get that R18 category in austrailia passed? It may not have nearly the nationwide impact as banking laws, but laws relating to video games do exist, they are political (usually as part of a politician saying ITS FOR THE CHILDREN prior to running for re-election), and lobby groups exist to try and lobby for or against them.

NKD wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:52:
Dev wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:49:
And anyway, as other posters have mentioned, NONE of that has anything to do with their customer service. I don't think there's too many people who are willing to say EA has outstanding customer service. Are you?

Customer service? They aren't even the worst customer service on the list, let alone the country. Perhaps you noticed AT&T, Ticketmaster, Paypal, Comcast, Sony, should I go on?

This poll is called "Worst Company in America." not "Worst Customer Service" anyway.

I challenge any one of you to point out, objectively, why you believe EA is the worst company in America.
Why? I didn't vote in the poll.
Just modeling it after the Final 4 bracket gives it a tongue-in-cheek feeling, and to get all bent out of shape over it like you are seems a bit silly.
Unless someone is getting paid to defend EA

19. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 21:55 Prez

NKD wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:52:
And anyway, as other posters have mentioned, NONE of that has anything to do with their customer service. I don't think there's too many people who are willing to say EA has outstanding customer service. Are you?

Customer service? They aren't even the worst customer service on the list, let alone the country. Perhaps you noticed AT&T, Ticketmaster, Paypal, Comcast, Sony, should I go on?

This poll is called "Worst Company in America." not "Worst Customer Service" anyway.

I challenge any one of you to point out, objectively, why you believe EA is the worst company in America.

For the record, I think Comcast should have won. But I would have been happy seeing almost anyone who made the list winning. There's a whole boatload of badness in the companies who made the list this year. That EA is "the worst" may be arguable, but that they are anything but a shitty company? Not so much, at least in my view.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2012, 22:01.

18. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 21:52 NKD

17. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 21:49 Dev

NKD wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:30:
Deflection or not, it's a fair point. EA hasn't killed anyone, ruined anyones life, or displaced anyone from their home, nor have they bribed government officials, or bought elections.
They probably haven't done the first, but I'm sure they've done the rest. They way they were screwing their employees out of pay (it got them a class action lawsuit), if it wasn't ruining someone's life, I doubt it would have gotten as far as it did. Plus, they are a company, companies do layoffs. That ruins lives and displaces people.
As for bribing, I'm CERTAIN that EA contributes to at least one lobbying group, at the very least they are going to want to contribute to a group that lobbied against the crazy california laws that have already gotten struck down that wanted to impose unconstitutional restrictions on game sellers.
As for buying elections, who knows. Depends on how and where the lobbying group(s) they contribute to throws money around.

Now, if you had said instead:
"EA hasn't ruined nearly as many lives, or forcibly evicted many from their homes, or bribed government officials on a wholesale scale, or bought multiple elections at all levels of government"
Then yeah, you'd have a point. But you said it in an absolute manner, and it only takes ONE counter example to prove that false.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2012, 21:56.

16. Re: Differences Apr 4, 2012, 21:47 Prez

To those who might sneer at something as "non-essential" as a video game company winning the Worst Company In America vote: It's that exact kind of attitude that allows people to ignore the complaints as companies like EA to nickel and dime consumers to death.

It's almost as if they knew what NKD and ViRGE were going to say!

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2012, 21:52.

15. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 21:46 ViRGE

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:38:
Anyone who thinks EA is actually worse than Bank of America needs to get a new set of priorities.

I hate EA, but FFS....
Agreed. EA's my least favorite game company, but the biggest threat they are to the public is that they make bad video games. It's not even an essential good, let alone a product that puts the company in a position to actually harm the public good.

Calling EA the worst company in America just seems so petty.

14. Re: Differences Apr 4, 2012, 21:46 maleitch

NKD wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:43:

Alabama or Mississippi? I can't tell.

Obese or thumbsucker? I can't tell.

13. Re: Differences Apr 4, 2012, 21:43 NKD

maleitch wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:37:
No surprise here. You'd get more fair-minded and logical results asking white people in the deep south what they think of Obama.

Another insecure nerd bigot who has to rely on some manufactured sense of geographical superiority to justify his undeserved arrogance.

It is cute when pasty internet children try to play the race card when their hardest decision in life is whether or not to value size their combo.

So according to you in your northern brilliance that neo-comms Barry's policies would be celebrated in the streets if he was white? Just like they did with Clinton? Amazing logic...mensa is missing out.

Alabama or Mississippi? I can't tell.

12. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 21:42 nin

Traditionally, the Poo has been delivered on its little red pillow. But this year, we'll give EA three different color options for its pillow, though in the end it's still the same old Poo.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 21:41 NKD

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:37:
Deflection or not, it's a fair point. EA hasn't killed anyone, ruined anyones life, or displaced anyone from their home, nor have they bribed government officials, or bought elections.

Killed someone - Ok
Ruined someones life - I bet they have
Displaced someone - Via layoffs I'm sure
Bribed Gov't - Lobbyists I'm sure have
Bought Elections - They've contributed to the facade I'm sure

All said though I do agree they aren't the worst overall, these other companies are much more damaging overall to our greater well being. EA just f's up gaming some.

All companies lay people off. If a software developer can't find a new job in time to keep a roof over their heads, they did it to themselves. In addition, the games industry has zero lobbying power or political influence.

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo