Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

GameStop & Stardock Retail/Digital Deal

GameStop announces they will be the exclusive retailer of codes for digital distribution of all of Stardock's upcoming games, which will probably be a convenience for some folks for some reason. Here's the deal:

Games developer Stardock Entertainment’s slate of up-coming PC game titles, including Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, Elemental: Fallen Enchantress and The Political Machine 2012 will only be available as digital downloads. The titles will be available for purchase through digital resellers, including the GameStop PC application, and consumers will also be able to buy the titles from GameStop’s more than 4000 retail stores in the United States. When purchasing a title at a GameStop store, the consumer will receive a redemption code that will allow them to download, install, play and update the game through the GameStop PC application.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: GameStop & Stardock Retail/Digital Deal Apr 5, 2012, 12:50 Skullguise

I recently bought something on Impulse/Gamestop and I had to wait about 8 hours to actually be able to download it. I was totally unsuccessful at getting a refund from them for not providing a timely delivery like STEAM does EVERY time.

I am usually adamant about refusing to pilfer games but if this benefits Gamestop in any way it only makes me want to see how the Pirate Bay is looking nowadays. It is a little confusing as the news blurb says exclusive yet the link doesn't....

I refuse to ever use Gamestop in any fashion again. Too bad as Impulse was decent before they sold out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: GameStop & Stardock Retail/Digital Deal Apr 5, 2012, 08:45 Shok

I uninstalled Impulse after Gamestop bought it mostly because I hate Gamestop so much I didn't want to see the stupid Gamestop icon/logo on my desktop. Not giving .01 to Gamestop. I'd rather re-buy my Stardock games on Steam if I ever decide to play them again.  

13. Re: GameStop & Stardock Retail/Digital Deal Apr 5, 2012, 06:12 Julio

I guess they can't sell me a used code as new? Just like they sell used games as new? Maybe they'll find a way to do that.  

12. Re: GameStop & Stardock Retail/Digital Deal Apr 5, 2012, 04:19 jacobvandy

Yeah, I think the wording here is a bit confusing.

Basically, GameStop will be the only place to buy the games offline, in the form of a code you redeem on their Impulse client. They'll still be available other places digitally, for instance SOASE: Rebellion has been on Steam for pre-order for a while now.

11. Re: GameStop & Stardock Retail/Digital Deal Apr 5, 2012, 00:30 Dev

Flatline wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 00:15:
That's kind of what I figured.

Makes it easy to avoid Stardock games. A one-stop-shop to ignore them.
Did you miss the part blue quoted where it said:

The titles will be available for purchase through digital resellers, including the GameStop PC application

So yeah, you don't have to get it through anything gamestop related. In fact, stardock's latest release was in steam. Thats one of the good things with stardock selling impulse, they are now free to release titles on steam.

All gamestop is doing is putting out a press release that one of the places you can buy digital titles is by getting a code at their store (kinda like buying a facebook money card), and then putting that code into your account. And they want people to know that they are ONE of the places someone can get stardock titles from. If thats your only reason to avoid stardock titles, you can breath easy.

10. Re: GameStop & Stardock Retail/Digital Deal Apr 5, 2012, 00:15 Flatline

Sepharo wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 23:24:
bigspender wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 23:04:
so if i've already gone to the store to get a game, why would I want to walk out of the store with a coupon - when I could just grab the DVD while i'm already there?

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, Elemental: Fallen Enchantress and The Political Machine 2012 will only be available as digital downloads

That's kind of what I figured.

Makes it easy to avoid Stardock games. A one-stop-shop to ignore them.

9. Re: GameStop & Stardock Retail/Digital Deal Apr 5, 2012, 00:10 Acleacius

I really could never see myself using gamestop's service.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: GameStop & Stardock Retail/Digital Deal Apr 5, 2012, 00:07 Dev

Creston wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 23:47:
I'm gonna laugh so hard if both Sony and MS put "anti used market" protections into their console.
They may well do that. On the other hand, companies that give out free first day DLC are basically doing measures to help get money off of used sales anyway.

7. Re: GameStop & Stardock Retail/Digital Deal Apr 4, 2012, 23:47 Creston

Oh Gamestop. Your futile struggle against your inevitable collapse is so amusing.

I'm gonna laugh so hard if both Sony and MS put "anti used market" protections into their console.

Creston

6. Re: GameStop & Stardock Retail/Digital Deal Apr 4, 2012, 23:38 WarpCrow

ummm...

so if i've already gone to the store to get a game, why would I want to walk out of the store with a coupon - when I could just grab the DVD while i'm already there?

duuuuuuuuurrrrrrr

the whole point of digital download is so you don't need to go to a store..

There are still people who don't have credit cards and can't be arsed/don't know how to get a prepaid one. Also, casual buyers who don't keep up with game news or upcoming Steam releases but occasionally walk into game stores that they might not otherwise catch.

5. Re: GameStop & Stardock Retail/Digital Deal Apr 4, 2012, 23:24 Sepharo

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, Elemental: Fallen Enchantress and The Political Machine 2012 will only be available as digital downloads

4. Re: GameStop & Stardock Retail/Digital Deal Apr 4, 2012, 23:04 bigspender

ummm...

duuuuuuuuurrrrrrr

the whole point of digital download is so you don't need to go to a store..

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

3. Re: GameStop & Stardock Retail/Digital Deal Apr 4, 2012, 22:12 Sepharo

Oooh the "GameStop PC application"... Sounds fancy.  

2. Re: GameStop & Stardock Retail/Digital Deal Apr 4, 2012, 21:40 Jivaro

Prez wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:32:
Um... what?

You know, for those folks who don't know what to buy without those helpful and knowledgeable folks at Gamestop to guide them.

(No offense Gamestop employees...but for every one good one of you there are 30 bad ones because your company has shit for training and doesn't pay you enough to care)

1. Re: GameStop & Stardock Retail/Digital Deal Apr 4, 2012, 21:32 Prez

Um... what?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo