Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cancelled Star Wars Battlefront III Footage?

A new trailer on the YouTube is purportedly from a pre-alpha version of Star Wars Battlefront III that was reportedly in development at Free Radical Design before that studio closed (thanks Strategy Informer) causing the cancellation of the project. The clip shows air and ground combat and several player-controlled vehicles. More recently, indications have emerged that a third Star Wars Battlefront game is in development at Spark Unlimited.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Cancelled Star Wars Battlefront III Footage? Apr 4, 2012, 17:07 NKD

DangerDog wrote:

flight sims and space combat games are asking too much from the ADD generation.

I don't remember anything in TIE Fighter or similar games that really struck me as beyond the complexity of even the dimmest of modern console gamers. They were very arcadey, but amazingly fun.

I can agree that hardcore sims deserve their niche market, but something in the vein of X-Wing/TIE Fighter would have great sales potential IMHO.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Cancelled Star Wars Battlefront III Footage? Apr 4, 2012, 15:20 DangerDog

quality over quantity, it's a huge undertaking to make a detailed sim product for a niche market.

flight sims and space combat games are asking too much from the ADD generation.

10. Re: Cancelled Star Wars Battlefront III Footage? Apr 4, 2012, 15:13 Beamer

DangerDog wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 14:52:
Beamer wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 14:25:
Virtually any flight sim is dead.

Don't know about that.

DCS has an impressive roster of combat flight sims, a-10 is amazing. Rise of Flight for WWI flight combat, X-Plane for "regular" flight sim.
World of Planes is looking good. BIS take on Helicopters. IL2 series, even Cliffs of Dover is still being worked on.

It's just not as mainstream as other games but there's plenty of flight sim action on the PC if you just poke around a bit.

You can find anything if you poke around a bit, though. Text based RPGs? Slap bracelets? People that connect via dial-up?
Doesn't mean they have any real impact or that they're a vibrant, flourishing community. Hardcore flight sims were once the dominant, unavoidable genre, now they pretty much exist solely to people looking for them.

If you dig there ARE space sim games out there, ones just released, ones being released soon, and ones that are in progress with no release date. Possibly more than flight sims at the moment. No one seems to mind lamenting that genre being dead, though, even as Notch announces one and Miner Wars gets mention.
If one is dead the other is dead, and both have crossed the line to me where it's ok to consider them dead genres. They're tiny, tiny niches right now.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Cancelled Star Wars Battlefront III Footage? Apr 4, 2012, 14:52 DangerDog

Beamer wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 14:25:
Virtually any flight sim is dead.

Don't know about that.

DCS has an impressive roster of combat flight sims, a-10 is amazing. Rise of Flight for WWI flight combat, X-Plane for "regular" flight sim.
World of Planes is looking good. BIS take on Helicopters. IL2 series, even Cliffs of Dover is still being worked on.

It's just not as mainstream as other games but there's plenty of flight sim action on the PC if you just poke around a bit.

8. Re: Cancelled Star Wars Battlefront III Footage? Apr 4, 2012, 14:49 Beamer

TurdFergasun wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 14:45:
xplane-10, DCS, FSX these seem to be doing fine, and they're fairly hardcore sims. i'm pretty sure their definition of commercial success is different than yours though as they didn't whore out every orifice possible in their games to their maximum diameter.

Oh good, 3 examples. One is from 2004, has had its dev team dismantled and is no longer supported by its manufacturer, one didn't "whore out" despite having versions for anything mobile including webOS, and I have no real comment to make about DCS but I do think you completely fail to see the point: what major flight sim is out there? The only one you could name is 8 years old.

-------------

7. Re: Cancelled Star Wars Battlefront III Footage? Apr 4, 2012, 14:45 TurdFergasun

xplane-10, DCS, FSX these seem to be doing fine, and they're fairly hardcore sims. i'm pretty sure their definition of commercial success is different than yours though as they didn't whore out every orifice possible in their games to their maximum diameter.  

6. Re: Cancelled Star Wars Battlefront III Footage? Apr 4, 2012, 14:25 Beamer

NKD wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 13:50:
Ecthelion wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 13:46:
You'd think there would be more (read: any) space sim games now, even if they were only arcade-y ones.

Yeah I really don't get it... it's not like TIE Fighter and X-Wing series had huge amounts of depth. They could easily be done on a console if they were worried about cross-platform. Hell, PC would actually be the weak point because so few people own a stick.

Maybe one day the genre will come back to life.

Virtually any flight sim is dead. Space ones were ok, but my thing was WWI flight sims. Redouts, blackouts, wing shearing, no fire-and-forget weaponry, ground... I loved it. There's that one good indie one right now, but anything since the original Red Baron has either been buggy or cartoony. Can't blame consoles on that, as games like Wings of Glory were PC only.

I would expect some kind of big name revival, but Crimson Skies didn't do exceptionally well (and was at least dogfighting), nor did that Snoopy XBLA title that was supposedly the same thing and supposedly actually pretty good.

-------------

5. Re: Cancelled Star Wars Battlefront III Footage? Apr 4, 2012, 14:18 DangerDog

Star Wars is dead to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OnDizZ7UT0

check out the fatty in the upper left, that's a silhouette of the guy dancing in front of his TV, probably naked.

4. Re: Cancelled Star Wars Battlefront III Footage? Apr 4, 2012, 13:50 NKD

Ecthelion wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 13:46:
You'd think there would be more (read: any) space sim games now, even if they were only arcade-y ones.

Yeah I really don't get it... it's not like TIE Fighter and X-Wing series had huge amounts of depth. They could easily be done on a console if they were worried about cross-platform. Hell, PC would actually be the weak point because so few people own a stick.

Maybe one day the genre will come back to life.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

3. Re: Cancelled Star Wars Battlefront III Footage? Apr 4, 2012, 13:46 Ecthelion

NKD wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 13:23:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 12:27:
Yeah, I can see why it got cancelled. KOTOR was the last decent Star Wars title. The rest have been terrible and the Battlefront series were particularly bad.

Why has nobody created a successor to Tie Fighter? Even though the current gen of consoles are incredibly dated they'd still be able to do justice to a space sim, as it's mostly empty space with a few stars painted in the background - they've be able to put more detail into the ships and gameplay. Somebody seriously needs to organise a Kickstarter for it, as I'm fed up of loads of shitty games trying to jump on the bandwagon.

I never really understood why space dog fighting sims died out. They are a very console-friendly genre by their very nature, so you'd think they'd do very well. Everyone loved Colony Wars and stuff on PS1.
Yeah, didn't the N64 and Gamecube Rogue Squadron games do fairly well?

2. Re: Cancelled Star Wars Battlefront III Footage? Apr 4, 2012, 13:23 NKD

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 12:27:
Yeah, I can see why it got cancelled. KOTOR was the last decent Star Wars title. The rest have been terrible and the Battlefront series were particularly bad.

Why has nobody created a successor to Tie Fighter? Even though the current gen of consoles are incredibly dated they'd still be able to do justice to a space sim, as it's mostly empty space with a few stars painted in the background - they've be able to put more detail into the ships and gameplay. Somebody seriously needs to organise a Kickstarter for it, as I'm fed up of loads of shitty games trying to jump on the bandwagon.

I never really understood why space dog fighting sims died out. They are a very console-friendly genre by their very nature, so you'd think they'd do very well. Everyone loved Colony Wars and stuff on PS1.

1. Re: Cancelled Star Wars Battlefront III Footage? Apr 4, 2012, 12:27 theyarecomingforyou

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo