Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Having finally concluded my lengthy analysis, I have ordered this new grill, which is on its way even as I write these words, remarkably with free delivery from Amazon, in spite of a shipping weight of 275 lbs. Some of you suggested with the amount of grilling I do I should be willing to invest in an expensive model, but I ended up shocking myself with how much I ended up paying, which was well over triple what I had planned (my approach to this shifted when I started contemplate kamado grills, which quickly add-up to even more when properly equipped with a work area). On the other hand, it seems to be built like a tank, and carries a limited lifetime warranty, which I fully plan on making good on, so hopefully its amortized cost will turn out to be justifiable (if the average backyard cook grill six times a year, then I estimate my Char-Griller saw about 20 years worth of work in its five year lifespan). If things work out they can bury me in it... or even better, cremate me with it... hey, what's cooking at the BlueTower? Blue!

Cooked Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Train Mania.
Links: Worst Album Covers of All Time. NSFW. Thanks nin via Rob/GM.
Toilet Water-Cooling. Thanks HARDOCP.
Stories: ‘Titanic’ night sky adjusted after Neil deGrasse Tyson criticized James Cameron. Thanks William.
Science: Extreme pressure could force hydrogen into a high-temperature superconductor.
Images: Unfortunately Progress on the Film Was Arrested in Development.
Media: Morgan Freeman, Dragonborn.
Fail Compilation March 2012.
Periodic Table SYMBOLS in Order Song.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2012, 22:35 Dev

Enahs wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 11:43:
Wow, no offense, I just have no idea why anybody would pay that much money for a metal box. That is all it really is.

You crazy man!
Maybe to get a lifetime warranty and not have to replace it every few years? Also, thats actually not very expensive compared to many smokers and better grills. You can find stuff more expensive than that at your local home depot or lowes.

Makes just as much sense to buy a grill for something you love and enjoy and will use often, as to buy a $1000+ computer

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: titanic Apr 4, 2012, 21:31 Mordecai Walfish

Jesus H that grill looks boss. You should write up the first Amazon review for it ^_^

zirik wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 14:10:
i must be one of the 10 people in the world who has not seen titanic the movie. i dont plan on seeing it anytime soon.

Count me in on that group.. now, I wonder where the other 8 are lurking..

19. Re: titanic Apr 4, 2012, 21:26 space captain

zirik wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 16:43:
no were not. we just had a moment.

we are special together

its still happening... can you feel it?

its so right

Go forth, and kill!

18. Re: titanic Apr 4, 2012, 20:48 nin

0 bytes wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 16:48:
This site also has some "worst album covers of all time", although I don't see how the Whitesnake or Lords of Acid covers belong on the list.

http://www.boredpanda.com/worst-album-covers-ever/

As I told Blue, I wonder if the "Heino" cover was the inspiration for Mike Myers "Sprockets" on SNL.

edit: And I'd never seen the Dance Before The Police Come album until recently, and now it seems like it's all over the internet...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2012, 20:00 DrSquick

Good to see you got a good grill Blue! I also ordered my grill from Amazon, and the freight company that delivered it bent over backwards to accommodate my work schedule and some other scheduling issues.

I do have great respect for you charcoal grillers... I admit the taste is definitely different, but my grill being ready in three minutes makes me use it twice a week rather than once a month.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2012, 17:04 Sir Graves

Verno wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 13:37:
Very nice Blue, a friend of mine has a step-down portable Napoleon grill that he swears by. It's held up really well over the years too.
Step-down? At these prices it better be a walk-in!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2012, 17:02 Sir Graves

Enahs wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 11:43:
Wow, no offense, I just have no idea why anybody would pay that much money for a metal box. That is all it really is.

Gotta agree. Wow, that's pricey for a grill.

14. Re: titanic Apr 4, 2012, 16:48 Killswitch

This site also has some "worst album covers of all time", although I don't see how the Whitesnake or Lords of Acid covers belong on the list.

http://www.boredpanda.com/worst-album-covers-ever/

13. Re: titanic Apr 4, 2012, 16:43 zirik

space captain wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 15:20:
i must be one of the 10 people in the world who has not seen titanic the movie. i dont plan on seeing it anytime soon.

i havent seen it either

so we are like family now

no were not. we just had a moment.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2012, 16:41 Pyloff

I was gonna harangue ya but it's made in Canada. Not too far

Smoke me a kipper!

11. Re: titanic Apr 4, 2012, 15:44 Beamer

In other news, here's a good approximation for the rumored PS4 graphical power (AMD A8-3850 + HD 7670 in a hybrid Crossfire setup.)

Here

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: titanic Apr 4, 2012, 15:20 space captain

i havent seen it either

so we are like family now

Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2012, 15:19 Hoop

Nice BubbaQue Blue.  

Um .. Behind you...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2012, 14:30 nwerner

nice grill. here's an awesome "green tea" smoke mix:

1. cheap green tea, loose (no bags; buy at Asian Grocery)
2. a dozen halved almonds
3. a half-cup of white sugar

stir it, wrap it in tin foil (poke holes), smoke chicken and duck with it. just be sure to wrap it tight, you don't want burnt sugar getting on the heating element(s).

http://www.youtube.com/leewardstyle

7. titanic Apr 4, 2012, 14:10 zirik

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2012, 14:06 zirik

good thing it has charcoal in front. my brother in law had a gas only grill that failed within a year of purchase. warranty service fixed it only enough so that the tech could leave their house. after which the gas would stop working again.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2012, 13:49 Bodolza

Awesome looking grill. Pricey for charcoal, but it looks like it will last forever. If you can find a way to vent the top, you might even be able to do some decent bbq on that thing.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2012, 13:37 Verno

Very nice Blue, a friend of mine has a step-down portable Napoleon grill that he swears by. It's held up really well over the years too.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2012, 13:01 Will W

You've gotta love Amazon Prime! :-)

Two suggestions I'd give are "Weber's Real Grilling" and ANYTHING by Paul Kirk.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2012, 11:43 Enahs

You crazy man!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo