Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

0x10c, Mojang's Space Adventure Details

The 0x10 ͨ Website is online as home to Mojang's upcoming space adventure game that Notch recently mentioned on television. Here's what they think this will involve at this point: "The game is still extremely early in development, but like we did with Minecraft, we expect to release it early and let the players help me shape the game as it grows. The cost of the game is still undecided, but it's likely there will be a monthly fee for joining the Multiverse as we are going to emulate all computers and physics even when players aren't logged in." Here's the feature list they offer of things they "hope" to include:

• Hard science fiction.
  • Lots of engineering.
  • Fully working computer system.
  • Space battles against the AI or other players.
  • Abandoned ships full of loot.
  • Duct tape!
  • Seamlessly landing on planets.
  • Advanced economy system.
  • Random encounters.
  • Mining, trading, and looting.
  • Single and multi player connected via the multiverse.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: 0x10&#8198;&#872; , Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 22:39 Dev

Beamer wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 08:08:
I'd like to point out that this post didn't come from me.
OK?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>, Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 12:46 space captain

not at all.. command line is ok for getting the job done, but its not exactly my idea of fun times  
Go forth, and kill!

37. Re: 0x10&#8198;&#872; , Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 12:12 NKD

space captain wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 08:26:
NKD wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 05:55:
He has posted the current specifications for the integrated CPU thingy.

http://0x10c.com/doc/dcpu-16.txt

wow!

thats so exciting!

Not a programmer I take it?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

36. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>, Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 09:54 Optional Nickname!

Thank you for the link to Miner Wars!

http://www.minerwars.com/

I was recently browsing GoG.com and noticed the Descent Series was available and I wondered why there wasn't a more modern 6DoF space/aircraft game.

For the next 5 years (or more) look to independent developers to create the games we want to play and simply ignore the large studios who have a talent for making programs we want nothing to do with, including over charging for them.

35. Re: 0x10&#8198;&#872; , Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 08:26 space captain

NKD wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 05:55:

wow!

thats so exciting!

Go forth, and kill!

34. Re: 0x10&#8198;&#872; , Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 08:08 Beamer

Dev wrote on Apr 3, 2012, 23:15:
I'm somewhat interested, but I'd have to see it first I think.

Graham wrote on Apr 3, 2012, 21:29:
Worst. Game Name. Ever.

I know, rite?

Protip #1: It helps to pick a name that people can remember and type into a search engine to find it. So like if I tell my friend when I'm over at his place "hey dude check out minecraft it rocks" he can easily remember that and type it into google. Now I get to tell my friends "hey dude go check out...." oxo? 16? hexa 10? 'oh ex one oh little mid cee' ?? I don't think any of those would hit google for that page. And no, "scrolls" isn't a good choice either. Too common and boring.

Protip #2: The minecraft IP is far from exhausted. Like I'd pay for a graphics pack (from the sounds of it so would at least one other person who has posted in this thread). Or what about that official mod support, did that ever happen? Minecraft DLC? Minecraft expansions? Minecraft 2? It wouldn't hurt to do something else minecraft.

I'd like to point out that this post didn't come from me.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: 0x10<sup>c</sup>, Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 07:58 Mr. Tact

Yeah, negative points for the name but I'll be interested to see what he comes up with.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

32. Re: Monthly fee = Nope Apr 4, 2012, 07:16 Dades

Sepharo wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 01:36:
Sir Graves wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 01:19:
Monthly fee?? Sorry to hear that. There's no way I'll be playing this, then. Bummer.

What if it was $1-5?

There are too many good games without monthly fees to pay for games that have them.

The idea sounds interesting but Notch is full of interesting ideas that he never fully implements, Minecraft is basically a game filled with those.

31. Re: 0x10&#8198;&#872; , Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 05:55 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

30. Re: 0x10&#8198;&#872; , Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 05:36 Ventura

Going to enjoy sitting back and seeing how this one turns out. I'll be happy to buy if Notch can prove he's not just a one-hit wonder. No way in hell will I be paying a monthly fee though.

Ball's in your court now, Notch.

29. Re: 0x10&#8198;&#872; , Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 05:04 Rigs

I'm seriously surprised to see the amount of hate in this thread. Damn, all the time I'm hearing the old-guard (which includes myself) saying how they'd jump all over (and under) a new space-sim like Elite. 'Just bring out another Elite!'...'Elite4! Where is it?!?'...so wtf?

I'm seriously giddy that he decided to do something that has been totally neglected by the rest of the gaming world (save for Egosoft and some homebrew stuff...which reminds me to tell you guys that they've got a D3D patch for Elite 3 now! AND custom graphics so you can actually play the thing on a modern system! Just throw FFED3D into Google...) Yes, I'm a little wary that this is NOTCH doing it but I'll keep the faith until I see a serious reason not to. The things he's thinking about doing should have already been done in an industry that should still have 'pew, pew' games by the thousands...and doesn't even have more than 5...

EDIT: Hmmm....not that I'm against the purposed 'world' we get to play in but...

It's now the year 281 474 976 712 644 AD, and the first lost people are starting to wake up to a universe on the brink of extinction, with all remote galaxies forever lost to red shift, star formation long since ended, and massive black holes dominating the galaxy.

That leaves a lot of stuff out. I wonder how he's going to accomplish the whole 'black hole' thing? And no more star formation? That sucks...I dunno...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2012, 05:19.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

28. Re: 0x10&#8198;&#872; , Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 03:44 NKD

Dev wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 03:08:
I'm talking about them doing a whole bunch of projects that are NOT minecraft. IMHO, spreading the company too thin.

I just don't see it. Minecraft until recently has never had more than like, two people working on it. And for most of its development, it's only been one person, either Notch or Jeb. Mojang currently has 25 employees.

I think they can spare Notch and a couple other employees to work on a new game that honestly sounds a hundred times more interesting than Minecraft ever was.

27. Re: 0x10&#8198;&#872; , Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 03:08 Dev

Jensen wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 01:58:
Protip #2: The minecraft IP is far from exhausted. Like I'd pay for a graphics pack (from the sounds of it so would at least one other person who has posted in this thread). Or what about that official mod support, did that ever happen? Minecraft DLC? Minecraft expansions? Minecraft 2? It wouldn't hurt to do something else minecraft.
Uh, this isn't about Minecraft being exhausted. It's still being worked on, but Notch gave control of the project to a coworker. Notch likes creating games, so he's creating a new one. He likes programming, so he programs.

There are plently of companies that make the same game for 20 years.
I'm talking about them doing a whole bunch of projects that are NOT minecraft. IMHO, spreading the company too thin.

26. Re: 0x10&#8198;&#872; , Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 02:44 Wildone

I dont care what its called as long as its cool, and props to him for doing a space game where the entire industry has fucked off on this genre, assholes.  

25. Re: 0x10&#8198;&#872; , Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 02:32 NKD

Reikon wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 02:26:
Notch overpromised and underdelivered for Minecraft. No way is he getting any of my money.

What are you on about? I can't really complain about the amount of mileage I've got out of Minecraft for the ridiculously low price I paid. And it's still being developed for. They just hired the guys who make Bukkit to do their official mod support. And they've made no attempt to cash in on me by offering DLCs or anything else. Everything's been free.

24. Re: 0x10&#8198;&#872; , Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 02:26 Reikon

Notch overpromised and underdelivered for Minecraft. No way is he getting any of my money.  

23. Re: 0x10&#8198;&#872; , Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 02:20 NKD

I like how it has an integrated remotely-emulated fully programmable 16-bit CPU. That's some real inside-the-chimney thinking. I can understand people being put off by the monthly fee thing, but we don't know how much that will be, and quite frankly it's likely to be a pretty minimal amount. I'd be surprised if it were more than $5 a month.

$5/mo would be a pretty small price to pay for a game that actually has fresh ideas in a neglected genre.

Can you imagine though, writing and sharing programs for your ships computer to handle various tasks? An arms race of programmers designing the best combat programs for space battles. The possibilities here could be really amazing.

Can't wait to hear more.

22. Re: 0x10&#8198;&#872; , Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 02:02 SM0k3

Was interested until I read the monthly fee bit, I'll still keep an ear out as I have faith in Notch and what he does.....we'll see.  

21. Re: 0x10&#8198;&#872; , Mojang's Space Adventure Details Apr 4, 2012, 01:58 Jensen

Uh, this isn't about Minecraft being exhausted. It's still being worked on, but Notch gave control of the project to a coworker. Notch likes creating games, so he's creating a new one. He likes programming, so he programs.

There are plently of companies that make the same game for 20 years.

20. Re: Monthly fee = Nope Apr 4, 2012, 01:36 Sepharo

Sir Graves wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 01:19:
Monthly fee?? Sorry to hear that. There's no way I'll be playing this, then. Bummer.

What if it was $1-5?

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo