Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded

TAKEDOWN by Christian Allen, Serellan LLC Kickstarter Page has word that this campaign has overcome its early self-admitted mistakes to reach its funding targets. An interesting note is this tweet indicating that Robert Bowling, recently departed from Infinity Ward made a $7500 donation to the project. Thanks Dmitri.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 6, 2012, 03:41 netnerd85

The guy behind it did work on GRAW and others. The whole presentation and messages from it though just smell bad. One to keep an eye on but won't invest hope or money just yet.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 4, 2012, 08:01 Mr. Tact

I have to agree with others here and say the instant I read the 200k was for an alpha as a proof-of-concept to VC people -- I immediately thought, "scam". I don't know this guy from Adam, and maybe he is on the level, but I don't see how you could know that. Best of luck on the assumption he is on the level.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

25. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 3, 2012, 17:14 TurdFergasun

i'm willing to take the risk of a few $15 bursts in an attempt to give life to a system that may circumvent the BS old boy network of glad handing game publishers. when is the last time somebody tried anything significantly different like KS? the only people i think should be truly worried are the parasites who are currently killing their host.

currently invested in project c.a.r.s. which is looking outstanding currently http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7jqtJfjCqA&feature=related, and wasteland 2 which seems to be headed by someone with a fantstic sense of humor with his quick pitch video and a solid grasp of the problems creative individuals are being faced with in the current development environment.

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 2012, 17:57.

24. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 3, 2012, 16:09 Dev

So yeah, I didn't do takedown, it looked pretty sketchy to me. The lack of details indicating not much work was put into it (except as they panicked at the end) and the info about this being a demo for investors.

nin wrote on Apr 3, 2012, 16:03:
Oh wow, that's a flashback. Thank goodness Duke Nukem Forever saved them, huh?

I dont think DNF had anything to do with them??

23. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 3, 2012, 16:03 nin

Oh wow, that's a flashback. Thank goodness Duke Nukem Forever saved them, huh?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

22. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 3, 2012, 15:51 Creston

Dev wrote on Apr 3, 2012, 13:40:
Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2012, 01:35:
I may be remembering it wrong, but didn't this guy basically say that this Kickstart was solely to get enough money so he could build something to take to a publisher? If so, why the hell support that? I'm sure the publisher isn't going to fuck shit up at all. Rolleyes
Thats the impression I got.

Here's what the kickstarter project pays says at the bottom:

$200,000 is a lot of money, but doesn't seem enough to fully fund the game.
We have investors (not publishers, but VC folks) who are interested but unsure if there is truly a market for real tac shooters. This seed money will be enough to fund startup and show the investors the market is real.

I remember this other outfit that had a lot of "investors."

They were called Infinium labs.

Creston

21. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 3, 2012, 13:40 Dev

I may be remembering it wrong, but didn't this guy basically say that this Kickstart was solely to get enough money so he could build something to take to a publisher? If so, why the hell support that? I'm sure the publisher isn't going to fuck shit up at all. Rolleyes
Thats the impression I got.

Here's what the kickstarter project pays says at the bottom:

$200,000 is a lot of money, but doesn't seem enough to fully fund the game.
We have investors (not publishers, but VC folks) who are interested but unsure if there is truly a market for real tac shooters. This seed money will be enough to fund startup and show the investors the market is real.

20. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 3, 2012, 09:07 netnerd85

wtf_man wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 22:24:
Didn't get in on this one... I can't stand squad based shooters.

But, that's just personal taste... so, I wish them luck, especially since 200k seems way short for a good FPS.
I love Squad Based tactical games but THIS smells bad. It doesn't even sound anything like a good ol' classic tactical game.

19. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 3, 2012, 08:17 Teddy

the game he promised in his Kickstart's not going to get delivered once a publisher gets involved, and I'm somehow doubtful a publisher is going to honor $15 dollar pledges.

tl;dr - fuck publishers.

Creston

There's been some debate on that. What he's said is that he's going to private investors that supposedly don't want and won't have creative input, rather than a traditional publisher to look over his shoulder through the whole thing.

As for the whole "bending to public pressure" that someone said... isn't that exactly the sort of thing we WANT from a kickstarter based project? Someone that listens to the fans? What did he 'bend' on? The original name that everyone said was silly and suggested alternatives? The lack of defining information on what would differentiate this title from games that dub themselves "tactical" these days? Both are things that backers said he needed to sort out if he wanted people to pay any attention, so he did.

I do agree that initially it looked like a half-assed attempt, with no real information about what he wanted to do besides bringing up the holy names of titles of old and using the word 'tactical' a lot. He did put in some effort later on to clarify some things, but there's still a distinct lack of details on what he's planning. I'm of the opinion that he came to Kickstarter WAY too early and should have at least had a conceptual plan, feature list (even if just a theoretical one) and a bit of concept art, though he did talk about the latter and I sort of agree with him to a certain extent, a picture of guys in uniform with guns doesn't really say much these days. We know what uniforms look like, we know what guns look like, but what I'd suggested instead was concept art of a planning map or something like that to show some of the differences.

18. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 3, 2012, 04:23 Dmitri_M

the game he promised in his Kickstart's not going to get delivered once a publisher gets involved, and I'm somehow doubtful a publisher is going to honor $15 dollar pledges.

tl;dr - fuck publishers.

Creston

The remainder of the funding will be received from "investors", not publishers. I believe they're essentially going to remain indie without any publisher involvement.

17. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 3, 2012, 02:12 Prez

I'm somehow doubtful a publisher is going to honor $15 dollar pledges.

I agree. When I donate to a project, it's just that - a donation. If the game makes it to market in reasonably good shape, then I'd buy it. I highly doubt any publisher is going to want to fund any project that already has everyone who has shown interest thus far getting a free copy of it (as they see it) when released.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 3, 2012, 01:35 Creston

tl;dr - fuck publishers.

Creston

15. Eh? Apr 3, 2012, 01:05 JohnBirshire

*posted on wrong news*  

14. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 3, 2012, 00:59 Donkey_Punch

I agree, this one felt like a scam. For the first two - three weeks Christian Allen put ZERO effort into the Kickstarter. A few stolen graphics, no game title, lame video and updates.

Every time someone raised a criticism Christian Allen would bend to public opinion.

No clear vision.

I wonder what the $200,000 will be spent on? Trying to wine and dine investors? It barely even pays for an engine license.

13. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 2, 2012, 22:58 Dmitri_M

Prez wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 22:41:

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 22:26:
Yeah with 3 hours to go Notch tweeted. Donations poured in after that. It went from 178 000 to 215 000. Close call this one, prior to that it wasn't predicted to meet it's target.

I'm certainly surprised it made it. It wasn't looking promising at all as the end rapidly approached.

With five days to go he "rebranded" the project Takedown and added a decently produced video trying to explain what they were trying to do. Near instant boost in donations.

Tumbler wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 22:45:
I'm very curious how this will turn out. The KS to get the game to alpha so they can ...get real funding? is really weird.
Yeah apparently there are investors waiting. We'll see..

12. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 2, 2012, 22:45 Tumbler

I'm very curious how this will turn out. The KS to get the game to alpha so they can ...get real funding? is really weird.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

11. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 2, 2012, 22:41 Prez

If there's ever been a project that felt like a scam on KS this is it. I hope all ends well otherwise this might leave a bad taste in many people's mouths and it's all their fault for falling for it since the stuff that guy wrote on his KS project page is enough to make anyone feel wary about this one.

If it's a scam, I'm out 15 bucks - oh well, not the end of the world. If it's not, it may end up a bitter disappointment, and, again, it's only $15. The hope that it will be neither is enough to warrant me giving $15. That's the way I look at it anyway. One bad experience certainly won't spoil my enthusiasm for the recent surge in crowd-funded kickstart projects that would have never otherwise been greenlit by the passionless life-sucking suits that now rule the industry at large.

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 22:26:
Yeah with 3 hours to go Notch tweeted. Donations poured in after that. It went from 178 000 to 215 000. Close call this one, prior to that it wasn't predicted to meet it's target.

I'm certainly surprised it made it. It wasn't looking promising at all as the end rapidly approached.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 2, 2012, 22:29 ASeven

If there's ever been a project that felt like a scam on KS this is it. I hope all ends well otherwise this might leave a bad taste in many people's mouths and it's all their fault for falling for it since the stuff that guy wrote on his KS project page is enough to make anyone feel wary about this one.  

9. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 2, 2012, 22:26 Dmitri_M

nin wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 21:19:
Nice gesture by Bowling. I saw a post on the KS page (by a backer) that also said Notch tweeted about Takedown, to draw attention. I'm betting that helped with donations also.

8. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 2, 2012, 22:25 Wildone

what TAKEKWONDO game?!?!?!! COOL!  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo