Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Legal Briefs

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 2, 2012, 18:18 Prez

You live in Memphis? I'm just a few hour south of there, and I just drove through Memphis a couple of weeks ago on my way to St. Louis. I adopted my dog from the local humane society. He was an older dog and about to be put down because everyone wants to adopt puppies. I'd love to take in foster pets, but I just can't.

I live one county over, about 10 miles east of Memphis. I only rescue older dogs; but I foster anything. And my services are always needed. What do people not understand about "spay or neuter"?

You, sir, are a Saint. And I truly mean that.

/no homo

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 2, 2012, 16:29 jimnms

Prez wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 20:32:
Another reason to stay the fuck off of social networking sites as much as possible. Unfortunately more and more organizations are using it as a way to get time-sensitive business-related communiques out, so it is almost a necessity in some cases.

For me, the only way I can rescue and foster dogs in time from the Memphis Animal shelter - which, sadly is not a no-kill shelter - is by reading the announcements on their Facebook. I just fostered five awesome pit bull puppies (all with homes now - WOOT!) that were scheduled to be destroyed at 5pm on the day the announcement came out on Facebook. If saving perfectly good dogs from unnecessary destruction requires a Facebook account, then I'll bite the bullet and do it. On another note, being an active musician without using Facebook page means being out of work quite a bit.

You live in Memphis? I'm just a few hour south of there, and I just drove through Memphis a couple of weeks ago on my way to St. Louis. I adopted my dog from the local humane society. He was an older dog and about to be put down because everyone wants to adopt puppies. I'd love to take in foster pets, but I just can't.

Steam Profile

17. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 2, 2012, 15:13 TurdFergasun

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 23:15:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 18:16:
nin wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 17:43:
The lesson learned is you have a right to a personal life outside of work. And it's none of your employers fucking business.

Last time I looked nin, alot of american companies don't believe this.

Some might say that your life outside of work is a reflection of the work you do or WHO you work for - I know my job says that. I imagine it happens a lot of places....

dear fascism: some of us are ready i guess.....

16. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 2, 2012, 13:57 eRe4s3r

It's actually against the facebook TOS to share your facebook password with anyone but yourself.

As for illegality.. i guess it is legal to ask, but you are in your right to say NO, if a job requires you to disclose passwords of anything private give them the middle finger and walk away.

15. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 2, 2012, 11:43 Creston

Another reason to stay the fuck off of social networking sites as much as possible. Unfortunately more and more organizations are using it as a way to get time-sensitive business-related communiques out, so it is almost a necessity in some cases.

For me, the only way I can rescue and foster dogs in time from the Memphis Animal shelter - which, sadly is not a no-kill shelter - is by reading the announcements on their Facebook. I just fostered five awesome pit bull puppies (all with homes now - WOOT!) that were scheduled to be destroyed at 5pm on the day the announcement came out on Facebook. If saving perfectly good dogs from unnecessary destruction requires a Facebook account, then I'll bite the bullet and do it. On another note, being an active musician without using Facebook page means being out of work quite a bit.

You, sir, are a Saint. And I truly mean that.

/no homo

Creston

14. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 2, 2012, 09:33 Prez

One out of every five pit bulls will permanently disfigure an infant's face. I'm not sure how you sleep at night.

Like a baby. I am not responsible that some dog owners are irresponsible idiots (who shouldn't have procreated).

13. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 2, 2012, 09:12 Quboid

Fibrocyte wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 07:31:

One out of every five pit bulls will permanently disfigure an infant's face. I'm not sure how you sleep at night.

84.37% of statistics on the internet are made up on the spot.

- Quboid

12. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 2, 2012, 07:43 avianflu

Prez -- it is very cool of you to foster those dogs.

Facebook: It is here to stay for better or worse. I get why the masses are attracted to it but they might regret it down the road.

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2012, 07:49.

11. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 2, 2012, 07:31 Fibrocyte

10. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 2, 2012, 02:24 Wowbagger_TIP

JeffD wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 01:14:
Uhmm.. 3 things here that can tuen this into a mighty big pay day.

#1 Assumed guilty with no actual proof. Just hearsay.

#2 Freedom of speech is being violated.

#3 Under the 5th, under no circumstances could the FB password be forced from you.
Umm, none of those really applies here. The only issue here is a potential case of wrongful termination, unless the employment contract specifically says that the employee must give up passwords to certain types of accounts. If that's the case, then I'd like to see whether a court believes that such a clause is actually legal.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 2, 2012, 01:14 JeffD

Uhmm.. 3 things here that can tuen this into a mighty big pay day.

#1 Assumed guilty with no actual proof. Just hearsay.

#2 Freedom of speech is being violated.

#3 Under the 5th, under no circumstances could the FB password be forced from you.

8. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2012, 23:24 Tom

This is why there are enterprise social networking sites like Yammer. There's no need to mix business and personal when it comes to social networking, and many reasons to avoid doing so.

If an employer wants to monitor publicly available info its employees post, I suppose that's reasonable enough and within their rights. But once they start requiring employees to let them monitor private info, that's completely crossing the line and has no reasonable justification no matter what your line of work is, IMO.

7. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2012, 23:15 xXBatmanXx

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 18:16:
The lesson learned is you have a right to a personal life outside of work. And it's none of your employers fucking business.

Some might say that your life outside of work is a reflection of the work you do or WHO you work for - I know my job says that. I imagine it happens a lot of places....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2012, 20:32 Prez

5. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2012, 18:16 Mashiki Amiketo

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2012, 18:16 Zarkonis

Be nice when her employer gets a letter from her attorney saying "excuse me, what part of 'invasion of privacy' don't you get?"  
Slow and steady might not win the race at first, until you shoot everyone ahead of you.

3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2012, 18:04 Wowbagger_TIP

I suspect there will be a lawsuit heading their way. Hope they lose, and the aide gets a nice fat check.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2012, 17:43 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2012, 17:20 xXBatmanXx

That stuff is getting out of hand - but the lesson to be learned is - don't have FB.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo