Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gods & Heroes Changes

A Gods & Heroes State of the Republic post on the Gods and Heroes Website describes Heatwave Interactive's struggle to keep this "underfunded" MMOG in operation, with the game's associate producer saying it "did not perform at launch and has never even come close to paying for the cost of bringing it to market, much less the cost of keeping a team developing it for nine-months," adding: "To be honest, Ive driven the company to the brink several times in an effort to keep the team together and to keep Gods and Heroes operating" (thanks The RPG Reporter). As a result, the game's development team is moving to other projects, and the dropping of subscription fees continues. Here's a bit:

To be honest, Ive driven the company to the brink several times in an effort to keep the team together and to keep Gods and Heroes operating. However, at the end of 2011, it was clear that we would either have to let the team go, or find another way to keep them around. So, in order to keep the game alive and have a real chance at getting the free 2 play effort funded, weve reassigned the majority of the development team to new projects and made the service free for everyone.

The game will have to remain in this state until we find further funding. I hope my honesty and transparency about what has been going on with G&H communicates our commitment and belief in the project.

The State of the Republic may be weak, but its will is strong.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Apr 1, 2012, 15:17 Dev

Slashman wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 10:59:
Crapping out a shoddy MMO is the path to 'easy money'.
At least thats what they think.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Apr 1, 2012, 10:59 Slashman

wtf_man wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 10:39:
Prez wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 00:11:
Thanks for that link too... WOW! To say the market is over-saturated is a massive understatement.

To be fair.. some on that list are canceled / dead. Clicking the "Released" link near the top would be more accurate. There's still a ton.

Also to be fair... a majority of them are Asian PvP grind/gank fests with micro-transactions.

Well yeah...but I also know of several that aren't even on that list so its still a stupidly saturated market.

I guess a lot of developers don't want the hassle challenge of making a real game with a decent single-player story and content. Crapping out a shoddy MMO is the path to 'easy money'.

13. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Apr 1, 2012, 10:39 wtf_man

Prez wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 00:11:
Thanks for that link too... WOW! To say the market is over-saturated is a massive understatement.

To be fair.. some on that list are canceled / dead. Clicking the "Released" link near the top would be more accurate. There's still a ton.

Also to be fair... a majority of them are Asian PvP grind/gank fests with micro-transactions.

12. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Apr 1, 2012, 00:11 Prez

But, at the same time you don't go into an over-saturated market, being under-funded, having the GALL to charge a subscription fee, and competing against this Mass Cluster of Shit

90%+ of these companies just set themselves up for failure in the MMO market, nowadays.

I very much agree. What did they really expect was going to happen? Thanks for that link too... WOW! To say the market is over-saturated is a massive understatement.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Mar 31, 2012, 21:11 commonperson

Turglar wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 19:53:
I don't feel bad for these guys one bit. This turd of a game should have died with Perpetual. I actually tried the beta at one point and it felt like I was playing a MMO from 1997. The fact that they thought even one person would pay for this POS just shows how out of touch most MMO developers are with their genre's fans.

I felt the same way, I mean I don't wish ill fortune upon those but it was a game that was WAY too long to be brought to market. The stalled production just really worked against it, if they moved free to play to start it may have had more of a chance just it was coming out at a time when there were a lot of options and charging AAA prices for gameplay. Way to fail scenario. The unfortunate thing is it's kind of an interesting setting that's been under used and could have proven an interesting break (there was also the sci-fi Roman Empire game that I wanted to see but that one bit the dust and never made it to launch.) It's a tough market out there right now.

10. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Mar 31, 2012, 19:53 Turglar

I don't feel bad for these guys one bit. This turd of a game should have died with Perpetual. I actually tried the beta at one point and it felt like I was playing a MMO from 1997. The fact that they thought even one person would pay for this POS just shows how out of touch most MMO developers are with their genre's fans.  

9. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Mar 31, 2012, 16:47 Dev

Slashman wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 15:08:
I don't get why developers are even still jumping into this market.

Unless you've made a successful subscription-based MMO before, the odds of you making one now are miniscule.

There is so much room in the game development market and everyone wants to do generic fantasy MMOs.
I've said it before. Because they get greedy and have dollar signs in their eyes, and think that IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME, and it will automagically give them tons of money just because it has the letters MMO. And it will magically only cost them as much as a normal title to develop. And not only will it give them tons of money, but tons of money every single month from the fees, and they never have to worry about money again, and from then on they can be free from publishers and develop their dream projects.

Yeah, that only happens for WoW and its 10 million. And I don't think blizz is free from acti. Everyone else who is wildly successful in that subscription MMO market survives in the hundred thousands range. And at 100k subs, the fees probably only bring in few hundred thousand bucks a month after all the expenses, and that's not counting the initial development costs.

Most of the rest fail miserably, and often take the studios with them. Look at AFB, it was a $100 MILLION mmo project and failed miserably taking the company with it.
wtf_man wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 15:58:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 15:36:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 14:35:
...GAUL...

How did the French have anything to do with this?
Fixed
You forgot the "unmitigated" part of that phrase

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2012, 17:51.

8. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Mar 31, 2012, 15:58 wtf_man

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 15:36:
...GAUL...

Fixed

7. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Mar 31, 2012, 15:36 Burrito of Peace

...GAUL...

6. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Mar 31, 2012, 15:32 venomhed

"I hope my honesty and transparency" statements made like this are implied to be rare and/or to be rewarded, as if being honest and factual is unpopular or uncool.

Amazing how many people fall into this trap or worse are a gasp when they hear it.

"Wow, he was so honest, so candid, WOW!"

5. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Mar 31, 2012, 15:16 Annex

Swords! Magic! Elves! Dragons! ... just pick at least two of those and you have your typical mmorpg failure.  

4. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Mar 31, 2012, 15:08 Slashman

I don't get why developers are even still jumping into this market.

Unless you've made a successful subscription-based MMO before, the odds of you making one now are miniscule.

There is so much room in the game development market and everyone wants to do generic fantasy MMOs.

3. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Mar 31, 2012, 14:35 wtf_man

While I can agree...

But, at the same time you don't go into an over-saturated market, being under-funded, having the GALL to charge a subscription fee, and competing against this Mass Cluster of Shit

90%+ of these companies just set themselves up for failure in the MMO market, nowadays.

/shrug

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2012, 15:57.

2. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Mar 31, 2012, 14:15 LittleMe

I feel bad for them. I hope they can stay operational. Not sure but I don't think I remember them going live, and I'm a frequent BluesNews'er. I'm not sure what sort of PR they did. My free advice - start small, but keep the big vision.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

1. Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Mar 31, 2012, 13:38 wtf_man

Another one rides the bus!

...err, or something like that.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo