Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Pets of Torchlight II

An update to the Torchlight II Website discusses the expanded role of pets in Runic Games' upcoming action/RPG sequel (thanks VG247). This includes a trailer, screenshots, and details on the pets' attributes.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Apr 2, 2012, 02:29 Wowbagger_TIP

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 11:39:
That said I don't ID things I know I won't be using. You don't get more trade in value ID'ing from what I've noticed. I have around 30 scrolls of wisdom entering Act 2.
Actually, sometimes you can get more from identifying an object before trading it. Not always, but I've gotten significantly more shards sometimes, like 8 instead of 3 or something, just by identifying the object. Doesn't always seem to work though. I'm thinking it depends on how good the object is.

I've only played for a little while during this open beta weekend, but the game seems pretty good. I think the map overlay is too hard to see a lot of the time, and I'd like to see some way to quick-sell objects and comparisons with equipped objects when you look at your inventory. I'm still up in the air on most of the mechanics though, since I haven't had enough time to really evaluate them. I started playing a Ranger, but I'm only about level 12 right now.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Apr 1, 2012, 20:36 Prez

Cutter wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 10:53:
Prez wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 02:12:
You would enslave your own kind? Bastard.

I would in heartbeat. Hell, I'd cull off the majority of the planet's population if I could. Way too many mouth-breathers around and it's only getting worse. I'd work them all to death building great monuments to me and other fantastical things.

All Hail Cutter, the modern-day Pharoah!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Apr 1, 2012, 11:53 Jivaro

Prez wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 22:50:
Please Torchlight 2, save from my disappointment over Diablo 3 going all MMO/Ubisoft DRM on me. Fingers crossed...

+1000

28. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Apr 1, 2012, 11:39 HorrorScope

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 17:01:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 15:07:
The cool part of no gold in Path of Exile and you trade items for items, is that you get to a point early enough on knowing you have enough parts for trading for a while. Then when you are hunting and come across loot, you keep what can help and leave the rest instead of hording it and making run backs to the merchant every few minutes. Thinking I may need another million gold for whoever knows what.

Well, I wouldn't mind this barter system so much if players got a skill to ID items or something, because it bugs my OCD to not be able to ID every single blue/yellow item I run across. As it is now, it is not financially possible to do so, which bugs me personally to no end.

If there is a skill or NPC/quest to ID items, I have missed it so far, in Act II.

Must have missed something. I always have plenty of wisdom scrolls to ID things. You can barter 1:1 trading in portal scrolls, which I get many more then I need.

That said I don't ID things I know I won't be using. You don't get more trade in value ID'ing from what I've noticed. I have around 30 scrolls of wisdom entering Act 2.

27. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Apr 1, 2012, 10:56 Ant

Cutter wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 10:53:

I would in heartbeat. Hell, I'd cull off the majority of the planet's population if I could. Way too many mouth-breathers around and it's only getting worse. I'd work them all to death building great monuments to me and other fantastical things.

I like your plans! >:)

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

26. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Apr 1, 2012, 10:55 Jonah14

I can't believe you guys are taking this seriously.

For example, Runic remarks about the cat, "Know what we love? Kittehs. Kittehs are now up in your Torchlight II, carryin' yer lootz. This tabby may look like an innocent lap-warmer, but get her into battle and the fur starts to fly. Rowr!"

Oy.

25. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Apr 1, 2012, 10:53 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

24. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Apr 1, 2012, 09:59 Ant

ASeven wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 08:48:
Ant wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 02:20:
Sure. They do exist too like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravoux's_slavemaker_ant

However Ant almost dominated the world in both It Came From The Desert games.

A remake of that game would be sweeeeet.
I could never get into those games.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

23. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Apr 1, 2012, 08:48 ASeven

Ant wrote on Apr 1, 2012, 02:20:
Sure. They do exist too like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravoux's_slavemaker_ant

However Ant almost dominated the world in both It Came From The Desert games.

A remake of that game would be sweeeeet.

22. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Apr 1, 2012, 02:20 Ant

21. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Apr 1, 2012, 02:12 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Apr 1, 2012, 00:44 Ant

I want a pet ant!  

19. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Mar 31, 2012, 22:50 Prez

Please Torchlight 2, save from my disappointment over Diablo 3 going all MMO/Ubisoft DRM on me. Fingers crossed...  

- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Mar 31, 2012, 22:49 PHJF

I want those choices... I look at the web and want to branch off my int-only witch build to pick up something that sounds neat that isn't directly related, but I don't know how many points we'll end up with, so again, don't want to miss out (gimp myself) on the really juicy caster stuff : )

Except there is no "neat stuff" on the web. A full half of that sprawling web is attribute points which may as well have been fucking relegated to separate attribute points. With the exception of the (recently added) outlier skills, passives offer nothing but miniscule improvements to convoluted, deeply buried stats (+6% fire damage! +4% attack speed! +2% wand damage, wow!). The actual skills, the gems, are so completely underwhelming as to drive the final nail into PoE's coffin of mediocrity. I picked a fire mage for my free weekend character. For hours and hours I ran around using nothing but the same two fire skill gems available to me. The game was like playing Diablo 2 while permanently barred from picking any skills requiring a level above six.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Mar 31, 2012, 21:15 Caladell

Scud wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 19:39:
Caladell wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 14:27:
Back on topic, I think I'll go ferret, just because that's what I used in the first game. Brings back memories of Beastmaster
There was a Ferret in the first game? I remember the cat and the wolf/dog, I don't remember any ferrets. Nevermind, I haven't played in so long, now I'll have to go play it again. Oh and if I could get the ferret a hockey mask and a chainsaw, that would be perfect.

The ferret was a mod made by Runic.

16. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Mar 31, 2012, 21:09 Alamar

eunichron wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 20:51:
PHJF wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 20:03:
That said, I'm in the closed beta now, and... Path of Exile currently is mediocre at best. The skill system is fairly interesting, but the passive skill map is more cumbersome than cool, in my opinion.

Concur.

Thirded. If you're the type of person that hates Diablo 3 because it's not "Diablo," and you loved doing endless Pindle runs with 80% magic find, you'll love PoE.

The skill tree and gem/skill system are neat ideas, but somewhat convoluted... and given how they operate (your character is ENTIRELY dependent on on the skill tree and gem skills), I don't even know why they bothered with set classes. They could have just gone the TES route and given you a generic character (with more character customization [of which there is none]), and let you customize it as you liked.

[EDIT]
Clarification; the classes do start out at different points in the skill tree, but it seems to me it would have made more sense for them to go with a traditional skill based system, rather than this massive spiderweb that they have now.

The illusion of choice... Is very powerful...

Before the days of 'gimped builds' vs 'flavor of the month cookie cutter OP builds' and going the wrong way up any kind of skill tree, this kind of thing (the passive skill web) would have been popular. But these days, if you want to compete (PvP OR PvE) at high levels, you need an optimal build (which in a semi related note, has it's own set of fans)...

Blizzard knows the choices aren't 'real', and that's why the D3 (and Pandaria Talents) system is 'simplified', and also why people bitch... They want their useless choices...

I want those choices... I look at the web and want to branch off my int-only witch build to pick up something that sounds neat that isn't directly related, but I don't know how many points we'll end up with, so again, don't want to miss out (gimp myself) on the really juicy caster stuff : )

And lastly... The passive skill 'web', is pretty similar, though in a different format, obviously, to Titan Quest's style... Points in the main line give you stats... Points in the tree have lots (but not as 'web' like) pre-requisites, and each talent had different levels, much like any of the lines/circles of the PoE web...

-Alamar

15. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Mar 31, 2012, 20:51 eunichron

PHJF wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 20:03:
That said, I'm in the closed beta now, and... Path of Exile currently is mediocre at best. The skill system is fairly interesting, but the passive skill map is more cumbersome than cool, in my opinion.

Concur.

Thirded. If you're the type of person that hates Diablo 3 because it's not "Diablo," and you loved doing endless Pindle runs with 80% magic find, you'll love PoE.

The skill tree and gem/skill system are neat ideas, but somewhat convoluted... and given how they operate (your character is ENTIRELY dependent on on the skill tree and gem skills), I don't even know why they bothered with set classes. They could have just gone the TES route and given you a generic character (with more character customization [of which there is none]), and let you customize it as you liked.

[EDIT]
Clarification; the classes do start out at different points in the skill tree, but it seems to me it would have made more sense for them to go with a traditional skill based system, rather than this massive spiderweb that they have now.

14. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Mar 31, 2012, 20:03 PHJF

Concur.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Mar 31, 2012, 19:51 Sepharo

All this talk of ferrets keep reminding me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxLP6ni8vVo

12. Re: The Pets of Torchlight II Mar 31, 2012, 19:39 Scud

Caladell wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 14:27:
Back on topic, I think I'll go ferret, just because that's what I used in the first game. Brings back memories of Beastmaster
There was a Ferret in the first game? I remember the cat and the wolf/dog, I don't remember any ferrets. Nevermind, I haven't played in so long, now I'll have to go play it again. Oh and if I could get the ferret a hockey mask and a chainsaw, that would be perfect.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo