Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming

The Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Website announces Overhaul Games' upcoming Baldur’s Gate overhauls will be coming to OS X this summer (thanks The Patches Scrolls). They say the Mac version will "include a variety of Mac OS X specific features, including widescreen and iCloud support." No, we didn't know widescreen support was an OS X specific feature either. Technically a PC edition of the game has not been announced, but it is mentioned in this tweet from Trent Oster revealing they plan to support cross-platform multiplayer play:

Yes, it will be compatible multi-player cross-platform. We had a Mac, iPad and PC joined into a game together.

View
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

32. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 14:19 Kastagir

Where are the promised screenshots? A few out of focus shots of it on an iPad don't qualify. The only reason a person would be a fan of Baldur's Gate is if they played it on the PC (only platform that's ever supported it), so it stands to reason that this is the core group that will be the most excited to hear about an HD treatment. Yet all we have to look at is multiplatform support and some iPad screenshots that don't show anything at all. This seems more like an effort to compile all the good mods and make the game run on iOS devices rather than make it better than it ever was on the PC. I'll continue to grow more skeptical until I see some screens.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 14:18 Krovven

Paranoid Jack wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 14:10:
Tumbler wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 11:46:
I never played this back in the day but I hope this will be an HD update to the older game, that would be fun to play it and see what all the fuss was about.

@Tumbler, here is your chance to check it out for almost no cost....
Not a bad deal for 2 classic games

Awesome link. I might just grab that for myself.

LOL, $3 "Extended Download Service" charge. WTF?

30. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 14:10 Paranoid Jack

Tumbler wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 11:46:
I never played this back in the day but I hope this will be an HD update to the older game, that would be fun to play it and see what all the fuss was about.

@Tumbler, here is your chance to check it out for almost no cost....
Not a bad deal for 6 classic games

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2012, 14:17.

29. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 13:52 Draugr

Darks wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 11:25:
necrosis wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 11:17:
Techie714 © wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 11:10:
In order for me to buy this again It will need to have the following.

• High resolution textures

• Full widescreen support to at least 1920x10801200

• Upgraded sound

• New graphical enhancements

• Yep I would buy it, if it had those features. I dont think that is asking to much from a "Enhanced Edition".
    Corrected.

Their comments about their not being any comments that a PC version of the game is even in the works bothers me.

They've actually stated several times there will be a PC version. I think they must have felt a PC version being announced it was rather obvious. Apparently not though, as this is like the third post I've seen like this. The tweet liunked in this post even mentions the PC version. when they did their reveal they shoul;d have made it clear it was in regards to the PC version, as the other versions werent announced until after that.

28. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 13:47 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 13:46:
    Until they show something telling of major graphical updates, I'm going to assume the marketing bulletpoint feature "new graphics" has more to do with new artwork needed to add the additional content/character and the UI adjustments they say they are creating. The couple screenshots that they've got in the iPad marketing looks exactly the same as the old game aside from UI.

Ahh ok, thanks for the clarification. I guess I better do more research before I buy this in the future. I just assumed they were doing more extensive changes. The extra character is pretty tempting though if nothing else I guess, mods have served me well for the rest.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2012, 13:52.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
    Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

27. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 13:46 Krovven

Verno wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 13:29:
    I haven't really been following this very closely but I thought the whole point was revisiting a lot of the old artwork, animations and stuff? Pretty much everything else is covered in extensive modpacks with prebuilt installers and everything these days.

Until they show something telling of major graphical updates, I'm going to assume the marketing bulletpoint feature "new graphics" has more to do with new artwork needed to add the additional content/character and the UI adjustments they say they are creating. The couple screenshots that they've got in the iPad marketing looks exactly the same as the old game aside from UI.

I really do hope I'm wrong though. I'd love to see a full graphical upgrade. I just don't think it's happening.

26. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 13:35 Krovven

panbient wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 13:12:
    Krovven wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 12:59:
    Primarily because this is not a polygon game that uses textures.

HAHAHA wow... only polygon based games use textures? WOW.

Just because it's a 2d sprite doesn't mean it doesn't have a texture applied to it. Just because it's a tile based engine doesn't mean those tiles are not textured. Essentially it's the art assets that NEED to be enhanced, the core gameplay mechanics are still solid even if dated, and the story needs no edits.

Yes, I understand it's expensive as hell to redo it, but if you weren't redoing the aspect of the game that can benefit the most from being enhanced... then what is really being sold?

Right, its so easy to do, that's why there are so many graphic and texture replacement mods for the game.

About the only thing I suspect they could do is up the resolution and change the camera view area based on resolution setting and do this without it effecting the UI. This may not even be feasible in the game engine.

Redoing all the art in the game would be a massive undertaking and at which point they may as well just rebuild the entire game in a new 3D engine. The artwork would not have been created at a high resolution 15 yrs ago, so it's not like they can just output the same artwork. It's not like they can just replace bits and pieces of artwork at least where environments are concerned. I could be way off on this, but I recall it being said years and years and years ago that each environment is a single painting, not tile based at all.

I was hoping they had found a way to import the game into a newer engine when this was first announced, but that hasn't happened. I wouldn't expect more than a few graphical tweaks here and there.

25. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 13:29 Verno

I haven't really been following this very closely but I thought the whole point was revisiting a lot of the old artwork, animations and stuff? Pretty much everything else is covered in extensive modpacks with prebuilt installers and everything these days.  

24. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 13:12 panbient

Krovven wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 12:59:
    Primarily because this is not a polygon game that uses textures.

HAHAHA wow... only polygon based games use textures? WOW.

Just because it's a 2d sprite doesn't mean it doesn't have a texture applied to it. Just because it's a tile based engine doesn't mean those tiles are not textured. Essentially it's the art assets that NEED to be enhanced, the core gameplay mechanics are still solid even if dated, and the story needs no edits.

Yes, I understand it's expensive as hell to redo it, but if you weren't redoing the aspect of the game that can benefit the most from being enhanced... then what is really being sold?

23. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 12:59 Krovven

panbient wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 12:44:
    Orogogus wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 12:39:
    Yeah; I'm also wondering why people keep asking for high resolution textures.

...because that's really the only major thing left to enhance?

Maybe you should focus your reading and quoting skills on the reason why updating to "high resolution textures" isn't actually feasible. Primarily because this is not a polygon game that uses textures.

22. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 12:44 panbient

Orogogus wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 12:39:
    Yeah; I'm also wondering why people keep asking for high resolution textures.

...because that's really the only major thing left to enhance?

21. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 12:39 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 11:50:
    Textures? You mean sprites and pre-rendered maps! Sure, they are textures, but i would bet actual money that this "enhancement" does not include recreating all the art assets.

Though that is exactly what would be needed to actually have the game not become super-pint sized at 1920x1200 ..

Yeah; I'm also wondering why people keep asking for high resolution textures. The games are very clearly not 3D, and the work that would go into redrawing the sprites and backgrounds at higher resolution isn't significantly easier now than it was back in 1998. It's a horrifically unrealistic expectation, and would be virtually guaranteed to not make back its costs.

I mean, I guess they could do it in a high resolution, cartoon style to make things doable, but I don't think anyone wants that.

20. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 12:32 NKD

Darks wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 12:23:
    Textures? You mean sprites and pre-rendered maps! Sure, they are textures, but i would bet actual money that this "enhancement" does not include recreating all the art assets.

Though that is exactly what would be needed to actually have the game not become super-pint sized at 1920x1200 ..

Also who the heck uses 1920x1080p on PC ?

Are you even up with the current tech of monitors these days?

1920x1080 is the new standard. It used to be 1920x1200 but that is gone.

Yeah. There are a couple decent 1920x1200 models out there still, but there aren't a lot of options in the mainstream range. Newegg has 18 LCDs at 1920x1200, and 221 at 1920x1080.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

19. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 12:23 Darks

Are you even up with the current tech of monitors these days?

1920x1080 is the new standard. It used to be 1920x1200 but that is gone.

My new LED monitor from Samsun is a 27 inch monitor and its highest rez is 1920x1080. Go to new egg and look at all the 27 inch monitors that is the only rez you will find on their site. They don’t even make 28 inch monitors any more. It’s hard to find them.

HannsG or Hanns Spee is about the only ones making them and they are cheap chinese crap.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

18. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 12:18 panbient

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 12:00:
    Add real honest to god turnbased combat like TOEE and I'd buy it. The horrible twitchy combat system of the Baldur's Gate series made it such a headache to play. Using scripts made the whole thing pointless.

Now this is just silly talk . If a game developer actually did something like combine the amazing story quality of a BG type game with the most excellent tactical combat of a ToEE type game it would result in the GREATEST RPG GAME EVER! And if they did that no one would ever buy another rpg. You gotta leave room for improvement and future 'enhancements'. Jester

17. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 12:17 nin

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 12:04:

Probably the few million of us out there with widescreen monitors that are 1920x1080 native resolution...

Almost 26% of steam users, according to their survey...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 12:16 Krovven

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 12:00:
    The horrible twitchy combat system of the Baldur's Gate series made it such a headache to play.

Twitchy combat? What?

Spacebar = Pause. Assign your commands, press Spacebar again. There are also options to pause the game after each turn to make it full turn-based.

15. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 12:11 Verno

It's hard to find 1900x1200 monitors outside of the business community these days. They exist but they're often quite pricey. So to answer your question, millions and millions people use them on the PC.

14. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 12:04 Beelzebud

Probably the few million of us out there with widescreen monitors that are 1920x1080 native resolution...

13. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 12:00 Mad Max RW

Add real honest to god turnbased combat like TOEE and I'd buy it. The horrible twitchy combat system of the Baldur's Gate series made it such a headache to play. Using scripts made the whole thing pointless.  

72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo