Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming

The Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Website announces Overhaul Games' upcoming Baldur’s Gate overhauls will be coming to OS X this summer (thanks The Patches Scrolls). They say the Mac version will "include a variety of Mac OS X specific features, including widescreen and iCloud support." No, we didn't know widescreen support was an OS X specific feature either. Technically a PC edition of the game has not been announced, but it is mentioned in this tweet from Trent Oster revealing they plan to support cross-platform multiplayer play:

Yes, it will be compatible multi-player cross-platform. We had a Mac, iPad and PC joined into a game together.

View
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

52. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 16:57 nin

deqer wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 16:55:
Why didn't they just make an enhanced edition to begin with? The technology was certainly there in those days. We all knew BG was ugly and couldn't understand why. Maybe the devs were just newbies?

So, because these guys are newbies--which isn't our problem--is now our problem because we should listen to their sales pitch on a real version of the game now?

Shouldn't the original players get this for free if they purchased your crappy version before?

Seriously, how old are you?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 16:55 deqer

Why didn't they just make an enhanced edition to begin with? The technology was certainly there in those days. We all knew BG was ugly and couldn't understand why. Maybe the devs were just newbies?

So, because these guys are newbies--which isn't our problem--is now our problem because we should listen to their sales pitch on a real version of the game now?

Shouldn't the original players get this for free if they purchased your crappy version before?

50. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 16:50 nin

And that's precisely what's wrong with BG's combat system.

Blasphemy! This isn't Call of Dooty.

49. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 16:40 DrEvil

venomhed wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 15:54:
Mac 6% market share
Linux less than 1% market share
Windows 85% market share

Source: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8

WHY FRIGGIN BOTHER WITH MAC OR LINUX WHEN THEY CAN EASILY DUAL BOOT INTO WINDOWS?

Because operating system market share is not reflective of revenue share for games?

Just look at the revenue shares from humble bundle sales:

http://www.humblebundle.com/

My current estimate is that Mac + Linux users make up at least 33% of the revenue of the current bundle. Just in that case alone, that's nearly $200k that would be lost.

Look at Steam; why would they bother porting Steam to the Mac and then push other developers to do the same with their games unless Valve believed that it was worth it?

Do they really get that much $$$ from porting or cross platforming? Are these guys just idiots when it comes to how to run a business?

Pot, meet kettle.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2012, 17:37.

48. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 16:33 Mad Max RW

Krovven wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 12:16:
Twitchy combat? What?

Spacebar = Pause. Assign your commands, press Spacebar again. There are also options to pause the game after each turn to make it full turn-based.

And that's precisely what's wrong with BG's combat system.

47. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 16:24 venomhed

Their decision, much like Wasteland 2, has already been made, but they have never explained why this is a good move?  

46. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 16:13 RollinThundr

Krovven wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 13:35:
panbient wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 13:12:
Krovven wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 12:59:
Primarily because this is not a polygon game that uses textures.

HAHAHA wow... only polygon based games use textures? WOW.

Just because it's a 2d sprite doesn't mean it doesn't have a texture applied to it. Just because it's a tile based engine doesn't mean those tiles are not textured. Essentially it's the art assets that NEED to be enhanced, the core gameplay mechanics are still solid even if dated, and the story needs no edits.

Yes, I understand it's expensive as hell to redo it, but if you weren't redoing the aspect of the game that can benefit the most from being enhanced... then what is really being sold?

Right, its so easy to do, that's why there are so many graphic and texture replacement mods for the game.

About the only thing I suspect they could do is up the resolution and change the camera view area based on resolution setting and do this without it effecting the UI. This may not even be feasible in the game engine.

Redoing all the art in the game would be a massive undertaking and at which point they may as well just rebuild the entire game in a new 3D engine. The artwork would not have been created at a high resolution 15 yrs ago, so it's not like they can just output the same artwork. It's not like they can just replace bits and pieces of artwork at least where environments are concerned. I could be way off on this, but I recall it being said years and years and years ago that each environment is a single painting, not tile based at all.

I was hoping they had found a way to import the game into a newer engine when this was first announced, but that hasn't happened. I wouldn't expect more than a few graphical tweaks here and there.

Yet you're fine with a 7 year old looking Blizzard title shipping in couple months.

45. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 15:59 nin

Do they really get that much $$$ from porting or cross platforming? Are these guys just idiots when it comes to how to run a business?

You should totally email them and tell them how business is done. I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.

44. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 15:54 venomhed

Mac 6% market share
Linux less than 1% market share
Windows 85% market share

Source: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8

WHY FRIGGIN BOTHER WITH MAC OR LINUX WHEN THEY CAN EASILY DUAL BOOT INTO WINDOWS?

43. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 15:42 Fletch

Paranoid Jack wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 14:10:
Tumbler wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 11:46:
I never played this back in the day but I hope this will be an HD update to the older game, that would be fun to play it and see what all the fuss was about.

@Tumbler, here is your chance to check it out for almost no cost....
Not a bad deal for 6 classic games

Great link! Thanks! I already own them all, but... I don't know... 5 bucks for 6 great games! Couldn't resist.

42. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 15:26 eRe4s3r

So in the end the stupid HD standard resolution is to blame.. people buy screens to watch HD movies, don't want black bars, buy 1080 screens, price goes down for those and up for 1200 screens. And so, gamers don't have a choice anymore either.

Though honestly, I didn't know that. I don't look for new screens every 2 years you know Only thing I care is when OLED comes and has its kinks worked out. LCD tech can't die soon enough.

41. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 15:19 nin

Prez wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 15:02:
Am I the only one who finds it ... odd ...that at this point we still have no specifics on
what exactly is "enhanced" about this enhanced edition?

Nope. That and the lack of screenshots screams smoke and mirrors.

Maybe they need a new marketing person. They keep talking about it, but can't tell you exactly what you're getting, besides ipad support. Whoo?

40. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 15:10 eunichron

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 14:34:
Verno wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 12:11:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 11:50:
Textures? You mean sprites and pre-rendered maps! Sure, they are textures, but i would bet actual money that this "enhancement" does not include recreating all the art assets.

Though that is exactly what would be needed to actually have the game not become super-pint sized at 1920x1200 ..

Also who the heck uses 1920x1080p on PC ?

It's hard to find 1900x1200 monitors outside of the business community these days. They exist but they're often quite pricey. So to answer your question, millions and millions people use them on the PC.

Wow that is incredible sad and i had no idea, why would anyone willingly downsize their screen resolution for desktop use.. just to adapt to the retarded HD standard? People must have gone insane. For the record, I know of no business place (well, that I know off ,p) that has 1920x1080 screens. So yeah.. that is actually news to me.

I would have expected PC gamers to actually go for 1920x1200 screens.. given that this is the superior choice for most if not any games.

I, and most everyone I know that games on a monitor less than 26", uses a 1920x1080 monitor. When you're talking price a good 1920x1080 monitor is almost half the price of a 1920x1200 monitor (I paid $180 for my 23" Samsung in 2010). The $300 price tag on a 1920x1200 monitor isn't worth the extra 38,400 pixels. 1920x1200 just seems a pointless option between 1920x1080 and 2560x1600.

39. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 15:08 HorrorScope

Prez wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 15:02:
Am I the only one who finds it ... odd ...that at this point we still have no specifics on

It will play on pads, etc?

38. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 15:07 HorrorScope

Last time I checked they weren't doing this for free. So we can expect a professional job at updating the game. Otherwise we can still play it today as-is w or w/o mods. So if asking for better GFX is too hard and too much, too bad. It's not like there isn't a market to make money here if justice is done.

Several games have had additional content added for free to them as well. So if it's just more quests and that be it... nothing too exciting for me. It needs to be like a Monkey Island update, a Tempest 2000 update imo.

37. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 15:02 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 14:59 Cabezone

The tablet's are also going 16/9 which I find irritating.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

35. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 14:34 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 12:11:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 11:50:
Textures? You mean sprites and pre-rendered maps! Sure, they are textures, but i would bet actual money that this "enhancement" does not include recreating all the art assets.

Though that is exactly what would be needed to actually have the game not become super-pint sized at 1920x1200 ..

Also who the heck uses 1920x1080p on PC ?

It's hard to find 1900x1200 monitors outside of the business community these days. They exist but they're often quite pricey. So to answer your question, millions and millions people use them on the PC.

Wow that is incredible sad and i had no idea, why would anyone willingly downsize their screen resolution for desktop use.. just to adapt to the retarded HD standard? People must have gone insane. For the record, I know of no business place (well, that I know off ,p) that has 1920x1080 screens. So yeah.. that is actually news to me.

I would have expected PC gamers to actually go for 1920x1200 screens.. given that this is the superior choice for most if not any games.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2012, 14:39.

34. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 14:29 DrEvil

panbient wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 13:12:
Krovven wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 12:59:
Primarily because this is not a polygon game that uses textures.

HAHAHA wow... only polygon based games use textures? WOW.

Just because it's a 2d sprite doesn't mean it doesn't have a texture applied to it. Just because it's a tile based engine doesn't mean those tiles are not textured. Essentially it's the art assets that NEED to be enhanced, the core gameplay mechanics are still solid even if dated, and the story needs no edits.

Yes, I understand it's expensive as hell to redo it, but if you weren't redoing the aspect of the game that can benefit the most from being enhanced... then what is really being sold?

2d engines didn't usually refer to these graphics as "textures"; they were usually known as "bitmaps" or "sprites".

To be fair, when people speak of "textures", they're usually referring to a 3d engine, so the general expectation is you're referring to 3d, and not 2d.

So even if the source material was from rendered materials which did use textures, the end result (the resources actually used in the engine) would not generally be referred to as that.

But this is all just a silly argument over semantics and interpretation.

33. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 14:28 eRe4s3r

The art assets were rendered by a studio that doesn't exist for nearly a decade now, so that pretty much answers your question The original 3d-art was obviously textured but that has absolutely no relevance, you are looking at prerendered map tiles with a fixed resolution.

They would have to quite literally recreate all the art-assets from *scratch* and while at it, modernize the entire Infinity Engine from scratch as well.

72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo