Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 16:43 Wowbagger_TIP

Chrome seems pretty good, but I could never use it unless there was a plugin like TreeStyleTab for it.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 16:24 SpectralMeat

Dades wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 14:55:
Google Chrome has Flash built in but you can manually disable it in about:plugins.
Problem with that is some of the youtube videos will no longer play, especially the long ones are most likely flash.

Steam: SpectralMeat

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 15:42 MisterBenn

Krovven wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 13:14:
That doesnt stop Adobe Flash Player from crashing. It just doesnt crash Firefox with it, but it does lock up FF for about 30secs while the plugin crashes, which happens constantly.

This is my exact problem too, it drives me up the wall. I get it every day when using YouTube, particularly when my connection is lagging. Interesting to read that Chrome plays better and has AdBlock... I must give it a try. AdBlock and Sync are the only addons I really care about in my browser.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 14:55 Dades

Krovven wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 14:12:
I don't even have Flash installed as of last week. So far the only thing it's stopped me from viewing is vids in Steam. I can deal with this by just going to YouTube and looking up a video if I want to see it that badly. On the plus side, vids don't automatically start streaming and playing in Steam because there is no Flash plugin.

Google Chrome has Flash built in but you can manually disable it in about:plugins. I really like Chrome but I don't like web plugins being baked into my installers without permission so I disabled it. It borks a lot of websites but the ones I care about have alternative players.

Chrome is better than Firefox and IE in my books but SpectralMeat is right about the version numbers making no sense.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 14:17 SpectralMeat

Isn't youtube flash also?  

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 14:12 Krovven

I don't even have Flash installed as of last week. So far the only thing it's stopped me from viewing is vids in Steam. I can deal with this by just going to YouTube and looking up a video if I want to see it that badly. On the plus side, vids don't automatically start streaming and playing in Steam because there is no Flash plugin.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 13:56 Quboid

I switched from Firefox to Chrome a couple of days ago. The only thing I miss is being able to change tab by right-clicking and using my scroll wheel. There's extensions which do this (it was an extension that did this in Firefox too) but the Chrome extensions aren't great as they only work on loaded tabs - breaking the tab-change-scroll operation if I have a tab loading.  

- Quboid

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 13:38 Verno

That doesnt stop Adobe Flash Player from crashing. It just doesnt crash Firefox with it, but it does lock up FF for about 30secs while the plugin crashes, which happens constantly.

Ahh, I see what you mean now. Unfortunately neither browser stops Flash from being a piece of shit and crashing but oh well. Chrome isolates plugins on a per tab basis I believe which is why it recovers faster. When a Firefox Flash process crashes it restarts every instance of Flash in FF that you have open at the time which is a really dumb way to do it. I hope they change it in future versions. I'm running on an SSD so its like a split second thing but for users with HDDs its probably unbearable.

The web in general will be a better place when HTML5 video is more commonplace and we can move away from proprietary plugins.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 13:14 Krovven

Verno wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 12:33:
Well if you ever get fed up with Chrome, both IE and FF have copied their plugin isolation approach now so that can't happen anymore (plugins run inside their own executable container separate from the browser). I've always found Chrome really fast until I get a lot of tabs open then it seems to need restarts a lot. To be fair though I had that issue with FF for many versions too. I need a little app that auto-closes unpinned tabs after awhile, I keep way too many open.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 12:40 nin

If they keep this up we will have Chrome version 975 before the end of 2012.

All the kids these days love that shit!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 12:33 Verno

Well if you ever get fed up with Chrome, both IE and FF have copied their plugin isolation approach now so that can't happen anymore (plugins run inside their own executable container separate from the browser). I've always found Chrome really fast until I get a lot of tabs open then it seems to need restarts a lot. To be fair though I had that issue with FF for many versions too. I need a little app that auto-closes unpinned tabs after awhile, I keep way too many open.  

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 12:14 SpectralMeat

Krovven wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 11:58:
Adobe Flash Player has been crashing Firefox for months. After the new Flash Player was making Firefox crash even more
Same problem I've been having with FF. I did switch to Chrome a few months ago and it runs fine, it also seems faster then FF

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 11:58 Verno

Again just the way I feel about it, but for the most part I ignore the numbers anyways just interesting to see and curious why Google choose to go this way and especially this frequently keep updating the version number of the browser.
Maybe they figure most people looks at their version number and think oh wow other browser are only at version 9 or 10 this one is version 18 it must be superior

Fair enough, I was just curious what the reasoning was

Adobe Flash Player has been crashing Firefox for months. After the new Flash Player was making Firefox crash even more and even after a fresh windows install, I gave up and moved to Chrome. Chrome has Adblock Plus and runs far faster than Firefox. Couldn't be happier.

Yeah I had a lot of crash problems in FF V4-7 but they seem to have cleaned up that and the memory situation these days so I'm mostly content with it other than some little issues. Every time I try to go to Chrome the thing that holds me back is the addon situation (apps or whatever on the Chrome side). I could probably live without most of them but I really need a decent replacement for Tab Mix Plus. Anyone know if such an app exists on that side of things yet? I like having a lot of control over how tabs open and what is allowed to open a new tab.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 11:58 Krovven

Verno wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 11:31:
I kinda get why people don't like it with FF as it means compatibility problems with addons and stuff, does that happen to Chrome as well?

Adobe Flash Player has been crashing Firefox for months. After the new Flash Player was making Firefox crash even more and even after a fresh windows install, I gave up and moved to Chrome. Chrome has Adblock Plus and runs far faster than Firefox. Couldn't be happier.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 11:49 SpectralMeat

To me what silly is that before version numbers were reserved for major updates, ie Internet Explorer version 8-9 or 9-10 there are some major differences even in the way the browser sort of look. With Chrome version numbers means nothing. The browser looks the same, runs the same, the "features" they are adding are stuff that I bet 99.9% of users will not notice or benefit from, so why bother changing the version numbers? To me that looks kinda silly. It is not that it bothers me or I get pissed about it but it just looks out of place to keep running through numbers when just about any other software keeps the version numbers for much bigger substantial updates not just a freakin patch.

Again just the way I feel about it, but for the most part I ignore the numbers anyways just interesting to see and curious why Google choose to go this way and especially this frequently keep updating the version number of the browser.
Maybe they figure most people looks at their version number and think oh wow other browser are only at version 9 or 10 this one is version 18 it must be superior

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 11:31 Verno

I don't follow Chrome development much so I don't really know what they are rolling into major releases. What looks silly, its just a number to me or am I missing something? Not trying to be antagonistic, I just don't see the big deal. They do auto-updating last time I used it so you can just ignore the version number or check out the release notes.

I don't really care for auto-updating personally so I always read the release notes with every release of Firefox for example. I've always had to do this anyway, both before they started their new versioning system and after as the version number itself never really told me anything.

I kinda get why people don't like it with FF as it means compatibility problems with addons and stuff, does that happen to Chrome as well?

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 11:26 SpectralMeat

No I don't work on the code but it looks silly that they release a patch and call it a new version all together, but whatever  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 11:23 Verno

Do you work on the code? If not, then why do you care? Let it update in the background if it bugs you or read the release notes every release if you're curious about the features. It's not like you knew what was going on before they started on an accelerated release schedule either, you still had to read the release notes. It didn't say v 1.08.GroundBreakingChanges  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 30, 2012, 11:09 SpectralMeat

Chrome 18? WTF?
I ran the updater like a month ago and the latest and greatest was Chrome 16. A month later we have 18 out already? Google's number scheme for the chrome version is just silly imo.
The differences in between version are so small too that I don't think they deserve a new version, more like 16.1 16.2 etc. If they keep this up we will have Chrome version 975 before the end of 2012.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo