Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 PC Patched

The Battlefield Blog post about the Battlefield 3 patch has been edited to announce the PC edition of the patch is now available. The post offers highlights of the new version like the new commo rose and improved mini-map. Here's word: "Today, we rolled out the big Spring game update for Battlefield 3 on PC! The focus of this massive package is to make the game more stable, fairer, and more balanced. You can find a comprehensive change list this earlier post. The ~1.6GB update is available now."

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 16:14 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ok, I put in about 6 hours with the new patch. AA was nerfed by about 45% percent, damage wise vs infantry, from what people are telling me from examining game files. This seems to be correct, as I am definitely having to hose down people for 3-4 seconds, lucky headshots aside, before they drop. Still, the AA is almost the most mobile land vehicle, you can easily dodge non-laser guided missiles, and those you can just pop smoke and gamble on to miss you anyway. I had no problems after an initial adjustment period, killing infantry/jeeps. Personally I feel this AA nerf was too much, but the AA is still usable. My 50-0 has become about 25-1, and that's mostly because of the HUGE nerf to repair speeds.

However the AA did receive an accuracy buff(at the start of firing) and either that or also a buff vs aircraft, or aircraft just take more damage from the AA fire. I was able to kill multiple jets and choppers easily with about 2/3 to 3/4 of the AA "clip.

HMGs are beastly now, and honestly I was already a fan of them in previous patches. I shot down a chopper with a Growler(US jeep) last night..that was simply not feasible in earlier patches. Coaxial HMGs on tanks are ridiculous, aircraft and infantry take serious damage/get one shot with ease, and Coaxial HMGs have no overheat period.

Suppression... is annoying as hell. Fake realism has no place in games, it's not a fun mechanic, in my opinion. Too strong in this patch probably, but it's just become more of shoot first game than previously. Oh well.

Tanks are too easily disabled, and with the repair nerf, entirely too hard to repair solo. Teamwork you say? It happens occasionally, on pubs, but usually if 2+ people are outside of the tank repairing, instead of one staying inside to defend, they will die anyway. Tank armor reduction + repair changes was overkill. Still, I did very well in tanks, with the HMG damage increase, they are more of a glass cannon now than in previous patches.

As far as the infantry weapon changes, meh. Engineer guns across the board seem to be less effective at range, saw a lot more snipers but I don't walk around outside of armor much at all, so it wasn't an issue for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 15:17 eRe4s3r

Did someone actually say helicopters are over-powered? on the server I was on nobody wanted to fly anymore, thats how many people had stingers, hell lock on time is so short most pilots insta hit flares now, which is of course easily abusable by a stinger users ;p

And if 2 people have stingers and are not brain-dead 1 fires instantly after lock on and the other waits for the flares and then shoots. You can take down any helicopter with that tactic in a single strike.

And if helicopters really bother you.. soflam + javelin still works

30. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 13:44 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 13:13:
Dear god have they made helicopters overpowered now. Maps like Wake Island are just a fucking embarassment now, as soon as one team manages to steal all the choppers, there is just nothing you can do against them. And they apparently beefed up the side guns substantially. I watched a heli do a strafing run, quickly followed by 10-12 "rez body here" pop ups. Just insane damage.

I won't say the game was balanced before, but from what I've seen so far, they've made it much, much worse.

The combat choppers for sure but they are a bit more vulnerable to ground fire now. The .50 cal guns on everything got insanely buffed. A jeep is a serious threat to a chopper now if the dude using the gun is competent at aiming.

Choppers are totally defenseless against jets though, jets have no counter except other jets.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

29. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 13:28 Shineyguy

Bhruic wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 13:13:
Dear god have they made helicopters overpowered now. Maps like Wake Island are just a fucking embarassment now, as soon as one team manages to steal all the choppers, there is just nothing you can do against them. And they apparently beefed up the side guns substantially. I watched a heli do a strafing run, quickly followed by 10-12 "rez body here" pop ups. Just insane damage.

I won't say the game was balanced before, but from what I've seen so far, they've made it much, much worse.

Only problem is now the scout helicopters do absolutely NO damage to infantry (their main target). I sat in a Little Bird/Z11W and couldn't kill anyone with a full strafing run from 500m out with a full volley (and I was consistently hitting them.) Re-fucking-diculous.

28. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 13:13 Bhruic

27. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 13:11 Trevellian

venomhed wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 10:55:
"Most of the time you don't have opportunity for your squad to help you out because you get suppressed and are dead seconds later"

Your squad helps you out? I take it you mean friends on Skype because as far as I know there is no in game chat or team work in BF3. Perhaps you were thinking of BF2? A game that had far better team/squad mechanics than BF3?

It's obvious you have no friends.
8 people on Mumble owns a server if you can all get on the same team. The squad mechanics are just fine.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

26. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 12:40 Verno

I don't think the suppression is as bad as some people are saying, but damn if there aren't some bugs.

It depends a lot on the guns being used against you. Some of the LMG suppression values are just stupid. Also a few of the sniper rifles seem to put you into instant heavy suppression. I get that they want to discourage running and gunning but at the same time those figures should be nerfed at close range then if that was their real intent.

Anyway a patch this big with this many sweeping changes needed an open community beta, some of the bugs are just embarrassing.

25. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 12:23 nutshell42

venomhed wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 10:54:
Doing one big patch like this is for amateurs.

No, doing one big patch like this is for console publishers. MicroSony don't like frequent patches and want money for their quality assurance (that is, making sure your patch doesn't fuck up the console. They don't give a shit otherwise).

You can't expect EA to release more frequent patches just for PC players, do you? That would cost literally dollars! Don't know how many but more than 1 and that's just too much. Be happy that it supports mouse and keyboard unlike Ubisoft's future crap.

24. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 12:20 Bhruic

I don't think the suppression is as bad as some people are saying, but damn if there aren't some bugs.

One I haven't seen mentioned - died at the end of a round, didn't get either the Conquest or Conquest Win patches (or points) - despite being on the winning team.

Not to mention the fact that apparently they didn't fix the hacks, first server I played on had an obvious aimbotter on it.

edit: Hmm, another round no Conquest/win awards, but I wasn't dead this time.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2012, 12:28.

23. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 10:55 venomhed

"Most of the time you don't have opportunity for your squad to help you out because you get suppressed and are dead seconds later"

Your squad helps you out? I take it you mean friends on Skype because as far as I know there is no in game chat or team work in BF3. Perhaps you were thinking of BF2? A game that had far better team/squad mechanics than BF3?

22. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 10:54 venomhed

The biggest problem EA/Dice did and I am incredibly surprised they attempted it, was to release such a huge patch.

Isn't it smarter to deliver a patch once a month with the only intention of fixing the worst problems? Lets say a small patch that addresses the MAV riding or any other terrain exploits. The next month, lets balance the ground vehicles more, all of them, both sides. The month after, all air vehicle balances, month after that just the Support class, etc. etc.

Doing one big patch like this is for amateurs.

21. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 09:32 Verno

DangerDog wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 04:01:
Maybe I haven't figured out the new loudout system but everything feels nerfed, they really neutered the USAS. The engineer assault rifles have no reach to them at all. The suppression effect is cranked to 9000 causing your screen to blur out and take way too long to return to focus.

It's really sad that DICE won't allow community testing of patches anymore, they used to use Combat Testing (combattesting.com) which at least allowed actual gamers to test patches but now they rely on some Romanian testing outfit that EA setup.

I played a few hours last night and was really disappointed. I had high hopes for this patch really bringing the game in line to what it should have been launched as. I'll list the negatives first since they're pretty important:

- AA vehicle was overnerfed. It takes practically a salvo to kill infantry which makes you far too vulnerable so most people park it in spawn now.

- MAV exploits were not fixed as promised. I was able to get onto a MAV then on a building without issue.

- Like most people have said the suppression effect was buffed to the point of absurdity.

- Air to Air Missiles don't appear to function at all. It's obvious this wasn't even tested as they literally do not function under any circumstances, it's not even a case of "we couldnt reproduce it in house".

- As a result skilled pilots have no threats at all and can own the map at will

- Vehicles have been marginalized. The armor nerfs were far too harsh, armor is basically a deathtrap now as even with reactive armor someone can get an easy one hit disable, two hit kill. The SOFLAM/JAV combo is incredibly harsh now as well thanks to the faster lock and missile travel times. I don't even use tanks anymore, it is actually safer on foot.

- Canister shot range was nerfed, unmarked in patchnotes. Bad change as it was a very balanced unlock overall.

- There are some (presumably) bugged weapon/attachment combos. The L85A2 for example and supposedly the L96 still doesn't show scope glint at all though I didn't test that myself.

There are many positives but the overall balance and push appears to be toward infantry only combat scenarios which is really frustrating. I like the minimap changes, some of the weapon balance stuff is good and I think they had good intentions with some of these changes but any amount of community testing would have revealed the problems we're seeing.

I hope it's not another 5 month wait for fixes.

20. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 07:11 Dades

eunichron wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 23:31:
Dades wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 22:22:
Incoming fire making you literally blind isn't exactly realism.

Blind? No. Making you GTFO and seek cover? Yes.

The way I see it the suppression change was a way of forcing team/squad play; if you're being suppressed it's on your squad and teammates to help you take the target out. It's great for me since I usually only play with friends in a squad anyway (and we're pretty much all former military so we love adapting bounding and cover movements into the game), but I can see how people that just pop in for an hour by themselves might think it's a terrible change.

You can't seek cover when your screen is a giant blurred filter or you are dead. The PDW weapons even provide too much suppression. The suppression change was poorly thought out. Most of the time you don't have opportunity for your squad to help you out because you get suppressed and are dead seconds later. Cover isn't some catch all thing that you can just throw over yourself at all times. I can see how someone who just pops into the game for 5 minutes would gloss over all of the major problems with this patch though.

19. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 05:04 TangledThorns

DangerDog wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 04:01:
Maybe I haven't figured out the new loudout system but everything feels nerfed, they really neutered the USAS.

I hadn't played with the USAS but I did use the MK3A1 which has the same auto-shotty feature as the USAS. Anyways, I was making some great multi-kills with it using the 12G frag round. The slower rate of fire plus the splash damage of the 12G round helped me gain more accurate kills that I couldn't get before. I bet we'll see the same effect with the USAS and 12G rounds.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2012, 05:18.

18. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 04:41 qsto

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 03:27:
C'mon Blue, no mention of the pay-to-win DLC? They're now selling "shortcuts" that will unlock all the items for you @ $7 per class or category of vehicles. The package deal, which unlocks everything in the entire game instantly, costs $40.
Hardly pay-to-win. It's there to incentivise new players to stand a chance against folks who've clocked 300+ hours on the game. Especially the vehicle unlocks can be difficult to achieve if you start playing now. And after this patch, you can pretty much forget about tanks unless you sport a Reactive Armor from get-go. They also did it with BC2, so nothing new under the sun.

And as far as I'm concerned, I'm done with this game. This patch proved once again, that all DICE is capable of is nerfing, more nerfing, and breaking balance and gameplay mechanics.

17. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 04:01 DangerDog

Maybe I haven't figured out the new loudout system but everything feels nerfed, they really neutered the USAS. The engineer assault rifles have no reach to them at all. The suppression effect is cranked to 9000 causing your screen to blur out and take way too long to return to focus.

It's really sad that DICE won't allow community testing of patches anymore, they used to use Combat Testing (combattesting.com) which at least allowed actual gamers to test patches but now they rely on some Romanian testing outfit that EA setup.

16. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 03:27 jacobvandy

C'mon Blue, no mention of the pay-to-win DLC? They're now selling "shortcuts" that will unlock all the items for you @ $7 per class or category of vehicles. The package deal, which unlocks everything in the entire game instantly, costs $40.  

15. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 03:24 venomhed

I see snipers are now hitting even harder than before! Great...

When you do the metrics and see out of all the players, 80%+ are playing the Recon class, guess what EA/Dice?

You got a fucking problem with an unbalanced class!

14. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 30, 2012, 01:23 TangledThorns

I've been playing BF3 exclusively since December and thanks to this patch I can now move onto other games. Already two changes were enough to piss me off.

1. MAV Elevator removed. Yeah I know the n00bz hated it but I think it should of been up to a server's admin to allow it or not.

2. Annoying graphic bug, below is a screenshot. Other users see this too, how could this of been missed before patch release?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/TangledThorns/ScreenshotWin32-0002.png

I knew this patch would cause more harm than good.

13. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Patched Mar 29, 2012, 23:31 eunichron

Dades wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 22:22:
Incoming fire making you literally blind isn't exactly realism.

Blind? No. Making you GTFO and seek cover? Yes.

The way I see it the suppression change was a way of forcing team/squad play; if you're being suppressed it's on your squad and teammates to help you take the target out. It's great for me since I usually only play with friends in a squad anyway (and we're pretty much all former military so we love adapting bounding and cover movements into the game), but I can see how people that just pop in for an hour by themselves might think it's a terrible change.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo