Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected

An edit to GameSpy's New SimCity Preview backtracks from the statement that the upcoming return of the urban planning series will only be playable while online. The preview originally confirmed this now-debunked report before being fixed: "Yes, you will have to register an Origin account in order to play, and yes, you must be online at all times while playing in order to start playing. EA has confirmed that you will not be kicked out if your connection is interrupted."

View
85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

25. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:55 Bhruic

As much as I respect your stance, and many do too, unfortunately 15 million people will still buy it Day 1.

I suspect this might have been hyperbole, but in case it wasn't, there is no way that SimCity V is going to sell 15 million copies. There's a chance it might sell 1.5 million, but even that isn't necessarily likely (SimCity IV appears to have sold around 2 million copies).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:54 ASeven

NKD wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 10:49:
InBlack wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 10:46:
NKD wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 10:37:
InBlack wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 10:36:
Well its still a no buy from me. Thanks to EA's ridiculous Origin requirement. If that means I will never buy another EA game again, So be it.

So you were okay with all the EA games that had you use your generic EA login, but now that they slap the name Origin on it, you're super butthurt?

Huh? Explain to me please what exactly are you talking about? Its not the login that bothers me, its the hassle. I dont want to use other third party software thank you very much. Steam is my digital distribution platform of choice, and the only possible DRM solution that I will tolerate.

They didn't say you'd have to use the Origin client. They said an Origin account. Unless they are misunderstanding what EA is saying, that means you can use any of your old EA accounts as an Origin account without any additional hassle.

Uh... no.

"EA has since clarified to GameSpy Origin was only required in ordee to “start playing the game,” even if it wasn’t the service players purchased it from. Players will also not be kicked out of the game should they lose internet service."

Yes you do need Origin even if for logging in.

23. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:53 Creston

Still means you can't play if your internet is down. Origin HAS an offline mode, why the fuck doesn't it work for this game?

Hey EA: If I succesfully passed your "ARE YOU A FILTHY PIRATE?!!!1!!!11" check the first time, why the fuck do I have to pass it every single fucking time I try to play your game?

Telling EA to go fuck themselves becomes easier with every single game.

Creston

22. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:52 Cutter

Ahhh, but you think even just an intial check isn't that bad. And that's the slippery slope downward. You give them an inch and sooner than later they'll take a yard. Appeasement only makes the aggressor stronger. And anyone who's ever had the misfortune of owning an Ubisoft title knows just how frequently their servers are down - and that's not even counting maintenance - and really all you're doing is paying full price for a game rental that you can only play when they feel its convenient. Lastly, given EA's history of how fast they yank the online component for games in order to force people to upgrade you'd maybe get a year out of it, two if you're lucky.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:52 ASeven

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 10:49:
As much as I respect your stance, and many do too, unfortunately 15 million people will still buy it Day 1. It's like boycotting Walmart or points on Whose Line is it Anway, or Occupy Wallstreet.

None of it matters anymore. We're 7 Billion now.

IF that was any close to any sort of truth the indie movement and sites like Kickstarter would have never gotten off the ground. That the indie scene is vibrant and growing exponentially is proof that what you say is one of the common fallacies going round the gaming communities.

20. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:49 NKD

Well its still a no buy from me. Thanks to EA's ridiculous Origin requirement. If that means I will never buy another EA game again, So be it.

So you were okay with all the EA games that had you use your generic EA login, but now that they slap the name Origin on it, you're super butthurt?

Huh? Explain to me please what exactly are you talking about? Its not the login that bothers me, its the hassle. I dont want to use other third party software thank you very much. Steam is my digital distribution platform of choice, and the only possible DRM solution that I will tolerate.

They didn't say you'd have to use the Origin client. They said an Origin account. Unless they are misunderstanding what EA is saying, that means you can use any of your old EA accounts as an Origin account without any additional hassle.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

19. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:49 Optional nickname

As much as I respect your stance, and many do too, unfortunately 15 million people will still buy it Day 1. It's like boycotting Walmart or points on Whose Line is it Anway, or Occupy Wallstreet.

None of it matters anymore. We're 7 Billion now.

18. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:47 UttiniDaKilrJawa

I think I'll just keep enjoying Sim City 4....offline .  

17. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:47 Dmitri_M

I disliked Steam back in 2004. But I've lived with it. You can't live with another similar service?

I coped with Impulse for Stardock titles. Your limit to online services is..one and that's it?

16. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:46 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

15. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:44 Dmitri_M

How is Steam better than a once per session login?  

14. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:37 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

13. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:36 InBlack

12. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:32 Bhruic

That's a compromise I'm willing to live with, kudos to them for the fast clarification

It's a compromise I'm willing to live with because I'm sure some enterprising young cracker will quickly strip the game of that requirement, allowing me to play my single player in peace. Still doesn't excuse EA for having it in the first place.

11. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:30 Verno

It's easy enough to get around those things even in the event EA decides to shut down the auth servers. I haven't really had a sense of ownership in awhile anyway

I'll take a quick MP polling over a persistent connection any day, its a reasonable compromise.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

10. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:29 NKD

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 09:59:
How is this not an "always on requirement" ?

Because it only needs to be on for a few seconds per play session?

Last I checked a few seconds every couple of hours is not "always."

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 09:52:
Glad to see they wised up about the always on requirement. If only Ubisoft would do the same.

Still, never going to buy anything that requires Origin.

It seems possible that you'll just use your existing Origin account, not the client software itself. If you've had an EA account at any point, you have an Origin account.

9. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:27 Boston

InBlack wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 10:18:
Basically what we have here is a modern day equivalent of the CD-CHECK of the late 90's. Remember that guys?

You installed the game, and every time you started it your CDROM would spin up (usually producing some kind of weird high pitched sound) to check whether the original CD was in it. Even though all the assets were installed in the game folder and there really was no need to access the CD.

I didn't mind CD checks or CD keys that much. At least I didn't have to get permission from the publisher every time I launch the game, and the sense of ownership was still there since I could always play the game as long as I kept the CD and the key somewhere safe.

8. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:26 Verno

That's a compromise I'm willing to live with, kudos to them for the fast clarification.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

7. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:22 eRe4s3r

unless you have a virtual cd image  

6. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:18 InBlack

Basically what we have here is a modern day equivalent of the CD-CHECK of the late 90's. Remember that guys?

You installed the game, and every time you started it your CDROM would spin up (usually producing some kind of weird high pitched sound) to check whether the original CD was in it. Even though all the assets were installed in the game folder and there really was no need to access the CD.

85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo