Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected

An edit to GameSpy's New SimCity Preview backtracks from the statement that the upcoming return of the urban planning series will only be playable while online. The preview originally confirmed this now-debunked report before being fixed: "Yes, you will have to register an Origin account in order to play, and yes, you must be online at all times while playing in order to start playing. EA has confirmed that you will not be kicked out if your connection is interrupted."

View
85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

85. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 31, 2012, 16:24 Dev

Verno wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 10:38:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 19:34:
EA IS STEALIN MY PASSWORDZ BRAH!

EA is far more interested in your personal details and habits, besides they already know one of your passwords
For a lot of people "12345" and "password" is probably the only one they use.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

84. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 31, 2012, 13:36 theyarecomingforyou

EA does my head in. When I upgraded my graphics card it wouldn't let me activate Crysis 2, so I had to contact support and get it all sorted out - which they did. But I'm dual-booting with Windows 8, so when I went to try it on the second OS a couple of days later I had exactly the same situation. That meant I had to get in touch with EA again, who this time started asking me questions like what my name is. I never have to phone up Microsoft to activate Windows when changing my hardware, so why are EA being cunts about it? It's not like it's even a new game. And as always, none of this bullshit affects pirates. Only gullible morons like me that thought they'd be able to actually play the game.

They are the shittiest company I have ever had the misfortune of buying a game from. They do my fucking head in. I won't touch another EA game unless it's on Steam and doesn't have activation limits... and even then it will take an amazing game to change my mind.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

83. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 30, 2012, 10:38 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 19:34:

EA is far more interested in your personal details and habits, besides they already know one of your passwords

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

82. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 30, 2012, 09:04 Quboid

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 23:05:
Prez wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 21:28:
That won't be a problem thanks to the "warez dudez" in the "scene". I owe them many thanks for them making me able to play great games with the abominable DRM removed.

Shhhh! We dont want EA to catch wind that people are actually making their games reasonably playable!

I'm pretty sure actually playing an EA game is against the Origin EULA. You're only allowed to enter your credit card details over and over.

- Quboid

81. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 23:05 Mordecai Walfish

Prez wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 21:28:
That won't be a problem thanks to the "warez dudez" in the "scene". I owe them many thanks for them making me able to play great games with the abominable DRM removed.

Shhhh! We dont want EA to catch wind that people are actually making their games reasonably playable!

80. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 21:28 Prez

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 20:30:
Hopefully the multiplayer is well implemented. And even if it is I'll find a way to play single player without Origin, thank you.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

79. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 20:30 Mordecai Walfish

Hopefully the multiplayer is well implemented. And even if it is I'll find a way to play single player without Origin, thank you.  

78. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 20:12 Closed Betas

stop making it.. wont be ordering.. thanks move along.  

77. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 19:51 Saboth

Their company, their games, they can do whatever they want.

That being said, I haven't bought an EA or Ubisoft game in like 2 years and I won't be buying any games that require their Origin service or "always on" connection. Make whatever arguments you want.

76. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 19:41 Prez

Whether their intentions are benign, nefarious, or somewhere in between, I need a good reason to be required to be online at all for a singleplayer game. And stopping piracy (which doing so invariably fails miserably at) is not a good reason.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

75. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 19:34 Sepharo

74. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 19:23 Dmitri_M

Cutter wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 19:17:
You know Origin's EULA says they can snoop round your system and sell the infomation to third parties right? You know that they do this all the time, right? You know that these firms, along with EA - and they're not the only ones who do this by a long shot - employ behavioral psychologists, right? They have uses for ALL the data they collect on you.
Dunce

73. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 19:17 Cutter

You know Origin's EULA says they can snoop round your system and sell the infomation to third parties right? You know that they do this all the time, right? You know that these firms, along with EA - and they're not the only ones who do this by a long shot - employ behavioral psychologists, right? They have uses for ALL the data they collect on you.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

72. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 18:57 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 16:06:
More likely they want people persistently online so that they're always connected to the market and always contemplating something cool. So that the menu screen can highlight the newest building you can buy.

Yeah, I'm always hoping and praying the game publisher will interrupt my game play with a chance to spend more money on the game I've already bought. THANK GOD FOR EA!

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

71. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 18:34 TurdFergasun

Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 16:29:
Interesting that you say "conspiracy nut." By "power bar" do you mean "surge protector?" So you're saying EA can detect what the password of my laptop is if it's plugged into the same surge protector as my desktop connected to Origin?

Oooook. Either that or you're on some strange tangent.

Regardless, what you're saying does NOT require a persistent connection. If EA really was going to harvest information on every single thing you have why would they force this connection? Why draw attention to it? Why create this kind of animosity? Why not store it in a file and just upload it whenever possible? Everyone is connected to the internet at some point, so why not just quietly wait?

These theories are akin to the underwear gnomes. And there are major flaws, most specifically that nothing mentioned in any way increases their profit. Not even close to the amount of headaches they're getting for this decision.

But forcing people to always be tied to the online store? That may well do it.

no you troglodyte, you're wrong about all the things i'm afraid. i'm explaining the password situation to show evidence of how little access you need to someones computer to harvest sensitive data.

now why wouldn't they harvest your information, it's been workin great for google, apple, and microsoft for quite a while. fairly ignorant, either willfully or just from natural skill for you to push the idea that a company as dirty as EA wouldnt' want in on the action.

here's some old news for you, you might not have received in your golden shower... er tower:

[url=]http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10200631-83.html[/url]

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2012, 18:44.

70. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 18:01 Tanto Edge

Elessar wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 12:34:
Tanto Edge wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 12:24:
Elessar wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 11:58:
Paketep wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 09:57:
And no, I'm not going to buy a single player game that requires Origin and has online DRM, even if it's not all the time.
Boo freaking hoo. While Origin is no Steam, it's functional. You're just depriving yourself of good games.
No, we're really not.
I get to be disappointed by the ME3 ending just fine, and I didn't pay a dime, install origin or accept any of EA's other draconian retard moves.
If you don't like their games, then what do you care?

I care because oddly enough I don't know if I'll like something till I've tried it.
For the record I'm not talking about piracy alone, there are other venues through which to experience these games without shelling $70 towards EA's coffers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

69. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 17:48 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 16:45:
I'm telling you, third parties don't factor into this. Does Origin even serve ads? Will SimCity 5?
Well, Battlefield 2142 - published by EA - included dynamic in-game advertising, so it really isn't too far-fetched to think that EA would try it again.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

68. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 16:45 Beamer

Dev wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 16:39:
Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 16:12:
How does requiring an internet connection every single time you play lead to better info to sell to third parties?
Because EA says so?

Maybe we are all a bit right and a bit wrong. EA could have thought of all these reasons to do the online requirements before they decided on it.

I'm telling you, third parties don't factor into this. Does Origin even serve ads? Will SimCity 5?

Assuming no, what can they possibly come up with? If this requires users to register their name and gender, EA will get how many hours users play a certain video game, by age and gender.
What company could possibly care to pay for this information?

This is my point. I'm not saying they're not doing this to get more money out of users, I'm just saying there's zero they can learn from this that anyone would possibly pay them for that they couldn't learn without requiring the connection.

Steam learns tons of interesting things about us. They do it without requiring the connection. The connection adds no value.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

67. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 16:42 Tumbler

Because I can start Steam on my laptop in offline mode and still play?

Exactly. I went to Yosemite recently and one of the reasons we picked to stay in the lodge was for internet access. I brought my laptop and wanted to do some gaming while my daughters took naps.

Well it turns out the internet connection is pretty close to useless. I used my verizon data connection on my phone (also extremely bad...but better than wifi) more than I did my laptop because I could barely connect to their wifi and doing anything with it once I did connect was nearly impossible.

I was able to set steam to offline mode but with EA's solution I'd literally be rolling the dice every time I wanted to play a game. That is unacceptable. I am guessing Steam's offline mode has limits as well. I'm under the impression that it will stop working unless I go and connect within 30 days.

It's reasonable that a game or system like steam ask for some authentication but to require it anytime you want to use the software is insane. I don't own starcraft 2 for this reason alone and I despise being treated like I'm only one restart away from being considered a pirate by the people I paid.

It's like being frisked when you walk into and out of a store, with or without a bag. I'm expected to give these guys money...voluntarily?! FUCK THAT. Hell in a situation like this if I see a guy come running out of your store and your people are chasing him yelling thief I'm just going to stand aside and say good day sir. Go fuck yourselves EA.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

66. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 16:39 Dev

Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 16:12:
How does requiring an internet connection every single time you play lead to better info to sell to third parties?
Because EA says so?

Maybe we are all a bit right and a bit wrong. EA could have thought of all these reasons to do the online requirements before they decided on it.

85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo