Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Epic Games Planning an MMOG?

Nixelpixel reports indications they've uncovered suggesting Epic Games is planning an MMOG. They have a CV for a game developer intern at Epic Games China listing "game developer on a next-gen MMORPG" as one of his projects, and one for a Game Play Programmer at Epic Games China who lists "Code for a next-gen MMORPG" as a credit. Thanks BeyondUnreal.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 19:44 Prez

I can continue not caring about Epic then, since I hate what they have become and I hate MMO's. How handy is that!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 16:33 Beamer

People here are really struggling with the whole "Epic Games USA has little to do with Epic Games China other than providing technology - they don't even own the company" concept, eh?  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 16:27 Acleacius

Lol, o'boy a mmog built for 14 year olds bet that's gonna be real challenge for epic's finest lead developer. I'm sure it will be built around the most important game design feature in the history of gaming, evar! forced cover.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

15. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 15:55 Lorcin

Creston wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 15:08:
cliffyb just drowned in his own jizz.

They can use it for mortar

14. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 15:21 wtf_man

Imagine a Minecraft / Gears of War hybrid, where you have to build your own chest-high walls in order to cower behind them for 95% of the game!

Creston

Cliffyb? AKA Carl?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYRs3YMupg4

13. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 15:18 Creston

Giggle

Creston

12. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 15:11 Verno

Lorcin wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 10:21:
They should recruit minecraft players. That way the millions of chest high walls would be finished quicker.

Imagine a Minecraft / Gears of War hybrid, where you have to build your own chest-high walls in order to cower behind them for 95% of the game!

Creston

They could call it Sludgeworld, just imagine all that brown.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

11. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 15:08 Creston

They should recruit minecraft players. That way the millions of chest high walls would be finished quicker.

Creston

10. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 14:30 Trevellian

This made me squirt soda out of my nose.
That is what I get for scrolling down mid sip.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

9. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 14:00 Dev

Everyone has been jumping on the MMO wagon for years looking at WoW with dollar signs in their eyes thinking that if they build it, they will come (regardless of quality) and most of them fail.  

8. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 13:30 Agent.X7

Linksil wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 11:55:
Don't they have MMO's that use unreal tech anyways already out? Couldn't this just be from working and supporting one of them?

Exactly what I was thinking. Quite a few mmos are built on the unreal engine. They probably need people that have mmorpg dev experience to help their customers.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

7. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 11:55 Linksil

Don't they have MMO's that use unreal tech anyways already out? Couldn't this just be from working and supporting one of them?  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

6. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 11:29 Beamer

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 11:22:
It's not going to be an Epic game. Epic Games China split off from the company a little while ago and became Yingpei Games. If they're doing an MMO, they're doing it on their own, not as part of Epic. Given that this spin off was announced a while ago, the report isn't super credible right there.

I wouldn't really say "split off." It was never fully owned. From what I recall, it was something Epic had a stake in but didn't fully own. EGC operated independently and was primarily a sales and support office for UE3 in China. They also owned Titan Studios, but Epic Games US had no stake in Titan Studios at all, and therefore zero to do with Fat Princess.

Epic has sales offices in several other countries.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 11:22 Parallax Abstraction

It's not going to be an Epic game. Epic Games China split off from the company a little while ago and became Yingpei Games. If they're doing an MMO, they're doing it on their own, not as part of Epic. Given that this spin off was announced a while ago, the report isn't super credible right there.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

4. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 10:58 Creston

It'll be console-only, with maybe a shitty port coming to the PC three years down the line, and cliffyb will be a little bitch again when he tries to defend his decisions.

Creston

3. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 10:49 Domgrief

The first comment on Nixelpixel seems to indicate that the Epic Games China is working on a Chinese MMO that's already well under development. A google translate of the game's about page seems to confirm that this is the case.

Alternatively, could it be that they're being contracted out on the cheap to assist with other companies that are building UE MMOs? I'm sure Epic would benefit by bringing MMO capabilities into their engine instead of letting individual developers build and keep the IP.

2. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 10:38 InBlack

Reading the small print.....Epic Games...CHINA???? Whats the matter CLiffyB those american wages you have to pay getting to steep for you?  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Epic Games Planning an MMOG? Mar 29, 2012, 10:21 Lorcin

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo