Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 29, 2012, 18:31 killer_roach

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 13:04:
bhcompy wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 11:23:
For once I hope Pachter is right

I think the whole blocking used games thing is something all the console makers have thought of but none will do. Aside from the parasitic relationship they have to maintain with the likes of GameStop, this tactic would only work if all the console makers did it. If Sony or Microsoft does and the other doesn't, everyone will use the console that doesn't and the other one will get no third party support and be stillborn. I think this generation they will just make a big push into day-and-date digital releases like Sony's doing with the Vita and in the next generation (assuming you know, we aren't all just using iPads as consoles like the lazy gaming press is starting to say), they'll go digital only if there's enough broadband penetration and the big telcos aren't continuing to force unrealistically low caps.

The stakes are too high. If you do it and your rival doesn't, you're hosed. If you both agree to do it, then you're liable to get hauled before the FTC for collusion.

There are still ways that this could be accomplished, but it would likely get messy and require an entirely redundant layer of infrastructure for game sales.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 29, 2012, 13:04 Parallax Abstraction

bhcompy wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 11:23:

I think the whole blocking used games thing is something all the console makers have thought of but none will do. Aside from the parasitic relationship they have to maintain with the likes of GameStop, this tactic would only work if all the console makers did it. If Sony or Microsoft does and the other doesn't, everyone will use the console that doesn't and the other one will get no third party support and be stillborn. I think this generation they will just make a big push into day-and-date digital releases like Sony's doing with the Vita and in the next generation (assuming you know, we aren't all just using iPads as consoles like the lazy gaming press is starting to say), they'll go digital only if there's enough broadband penetration and the big telcos aren't continuing to force unrealistically low caps.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 29, 2012, 11:23 bhcompy

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo