Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer?

A thread on reddit sums up a 4Chan discussion with someone claiming to be a viral marker for Electronic Arts prior to his recent dismissal. He outlines his job trolling websites to create good press and deflect bad press, and makes a number of claims about EA, the most significant being they are on the verge of acquiring another company. This is all to be taken with a grain or more of salt, of course, but Blend Games' summary of the summary (how meta) notes an interesting aspect of all this: "What's more is that when he reveals a former forum name, posters instantly recognize him as a guy who had been defending Mass Effect 3, Star Wars The Old Republic and Origin for several months, even using Origin to hand out free games during a brief marketing campaign, meaning he's either legit or one of the most dedicated trolls ever."

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 30, 2012, 09:52 Verno

He was posting immature, unprovoked personal attacks on StingingVelvet so I reported him. He complains a lot about other posters but expects to skirt the rules himself so fair is fair.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: removed Mar 30, 2012, 08:56 Mr. Tact

nin wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 13:30:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 29, 2012, 17:35.

Interesting -- in all the years I've been reading Blue's and seeing certainly 100s, if not 1000s, of posts from nin I don't recall ever seeing a "*REMOVE*" on him... things that make you go "hmmmm."

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

37. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 30, 2012, 06:19 Fantaz

Kajetan wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 04:08:
InBlack wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 03:28:
Just out of curiousity how much does it pay to be EA's bitch?
Not that much. But it's an easy job. You surf all day and post stuff. The (now defunct) gaming company i worked with years ago, hired a lot of students to do this job.

I mean if companies pay people to troll sites and the like, fuck it where do I sign up???
Look for marketing agencies who work for EA. They hire these people, they do the "viral" stuff.

Could someone please provide a little more proof with examples that this kind of stuff goes on? I still have a hard time believing it without actually seeing it... why would they hire ~500 people to do only this stuff, which seems like more people than their entire development staff working on a game?

36. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 21:32 Mordecai Walfish

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 07:44:
I feel it important to point out I never defended Origin, only said Steam was just as bad.

And this stuff is freaky, but then again anyone taking the internet seriously is freaky.

I'd like to see how "seriously freaky" you would be if you lost internet tomorrow.

Oh yeah, and regarding the article.. viral marketers are always the first to get the skinny on huge corporate acquisitions, didntchakno?

35. removed Mar 29, 2012, 13:30 nin

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 29, 2012, 17:35.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

34. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 11:28 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 11:09:
Work from home does preclude him from access to sensitive information such as M&A work, which tends to be ultra top secret until announced because any kind of leak could destroy a deal or, in some cases, be considered insider trading. A viral advertiser working from home has zero chance to learn this kind of information. Only top executives and people working on the deal know, and then likely some people via the water cooler. If you're working from home there are no hallway conversations and you do not get this access.

You do not "know the right people" if you work from home.

And I'd be shocked if EA really had many people such as this on payroll. They outsource this to an agency, like every other company in the world.

Oh you would be very surprised at what info a person can obtain working from home, especially if that person is good at obtaining info.

Yes, there's a chance it's bullshit all he said but as that blog points out there was too much info someone from the outside wouldn't have access too. He also had financial expertize, another suspicious thing that makes me think he's legit. And considering that so many leaks have come out in the recent past it's likely some of them are legit as well. Also, taking into account this industry does produce a lot of disgruntled employees no doubt some may think of leaking out internal details a proper revenge.

33. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 11:09 Beamer

ASeven wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 10:34:
Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 09:30:
ASeven wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 08:37:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 08:35:
The fact that it is on 4Chan makes it a "who gives a shit" moment.

There's more to it though. As that Blend Games blog shows there's too much stuff that could only come from an insider.

But this is a guy that worked from home, in his own words, and people that work from home never know anything. Plus, as people mentioned, this kind of "job" tends to be agency work, not internal.

Not saying it's impossible, I haven't dug into it, but I think his background is embellished.

Working from home does not exclude him access to info, especially in this day and age where all kinds of information is pretty much at the reach of a keyboard. In my work I get far more information working at home than when I worked for companies. It's all a matter of knowing the right people and having access to the right files.

As such I do believe he is mostly credible since he does point a lot of stuff no one but an insider that had access to EA's closed info would know.

Work from home does preclude him from access to sensitive information such as M&A work, which tends to be ultra top secret until announced because any kind of leak could destroy a deal or, in some cases, be considered insider trading. A viral advertiser working from home has zero chance to learn this kind of information. Only top executives and people working on the deal know, and then likely some people via the water cooler. If you're working from home there are no hallway conversations and you do not get this access.

You do not "know the right people" if you work from home.

And I'd be shocked if EA really had many people such as this on payroll. They outsource this to an agency, like every other company in the world.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 10:53 Techie714

PHJF wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 23:54:
there are people on this website who have been here along time, and we stick to our guns, and keep our money out of your hands.

All six of us!

seven of us...lol

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

31. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 10:34 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 09:30:

There's more to it though. As that Blend Games blog shows there's too much stuff that could only come from an insider.

But this is a guy that worked from home, in his own words, and people that work from home never know anything. Plus, as people mentioned, this kind of "job" tends to be agency work, not internal.

Not saying it's impossible, I haven't dug into it, but I think his background is embellished.

Working from home does not exclude him access to info, especially in this day and age where all kinds of information is pretty much at the reach of a keyboard. In my work I get far more information working at home than when I worked for companies. It's all a matter of knowing the right people and having access to the right files.

As such I do believe he is mostly credible since he does point a lot of stuff no one but an insider that had access to EA's closed info would know.

30. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 09:30 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 08:47 Verno

nin wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 21:31:
Stinging Asshole?????

Really uncalled for and immature. Velvet may be exasperating in his bias about Valve/Steam but for the most part he is fair on other topics.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

28. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 08:37 ASeven

27. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 08:35 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

26. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 08:11 Kajetan

ASeven wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 07:33:
It is a sad statement about mankind when fanboys exist and don't realize how pathetic they really are. I will always say, fanboys are the reason many entertainment industries have gone to shit.
In the Golden Days of Yonder such fanboys ran to join their kings army to slaughter some evil fiend. Because the king or his advisor or his chancellor or his priest said so and therefore it has to be true.

Compared to that I do really prefer fanboyism on the internet. A little bit more civilized. Yes, still stupid, but no bloodshed anymore

25. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 07:44 StingingVelvet

I feel it important to point out I never defended Origin, only said Steam was just as bad.

And this stuff is freaky, but then again anyone taking the internet seriously is freaky.

24. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 07:33 ASeven

Dades wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 07:29:

Damn right, for an example see that idiot who pops up to defend Blizzard in every single topic about them. People are too stupid to even understand that they blinded by brands and marketing.

They don't need to pay anyone, they can get morons to do it for them.

And that's sad. Why would anyone who isn't a complete retard defend a company? Why? Whiteknighting corporations and publishers gain them absolutely nothing, the publishers don't give an utter shit about them and they win nothing in return for the fanboism which makes their whiteknighting all the more pathetic.

It is a sad statement about mankind when fanboys exist and don't realize how pathetic they really are. I will always say, fanboys are the reason many entertainment industries have gone to shit.

23. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 07:29 Dades

Icewind wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 06:20:
This isn't shocking, since Atari got caught doing it too:

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/drivergate_returns/

It's a shame that so many young people in this hobby think it's okay to accept things like forced DRM, on disc DLC and poor quality asurance & testing. They white knight companies like EA and think of us as washed up malcontents or that we are just "entitled".

The proof is right there on reddit.

Damn right, for an example see that idiot who pops up to defend Blizzard in every single topic about them. People are too stupid to even understand that they blinded by brands and marketing.

They don't need to pay anyone, they can get morons to do it for them.

22. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 06:20 Icewind

This isn't shocking, since Atari got caught doing it too:

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/drivergate_returns/

It's a shame that so many young people in this hobby think it's okay to accept things like forced DRM, on disc DLC and poor quality asurance & testing. They white knight companies like EA and think of us as washed up malcontents or that we are just "entitled".

The proof is right there on reddit.

21. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 06:18 Julio

Plenty of those paid viral marketers are here. Just look in the threads defending DA2...  

20. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 05:36 Ventura

EA are a great, great company, and as a game-delivery service, Origin is second to none.

...and I'll keep on saying that shit, just so long as they remember to keep paying me

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo