Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 29, 2012, 09:32 Beamer

I actually never hear my 360. I hear it start and that's it. Must be the acoustics in my apartment.

I don't use it as a media center all that much. I own the first 3 Breaking Bad seasons on it, and I used to do Netflix a ton, but that's about it.
My PS3, though, was purchased on Black Friday and used 3 times. I have 10 games next to it, so it'll get used eventually, but not yet. I had media streaming from my PC working on it, but never got it working again when I installed a SSD and reformatted the other HDD. Not sure why - never really took a careful look into it as I've never had a need.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 29, 2012, 09:13 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 00:54:
See the 360 is the opposite. I bought it as a game console, but with the last update it's just a huge freaking advertising wet dream/media center.

My problem with the 360 as a media center is that it's loud as hell, even the new revision its easily twice as loud as any other component in my setup. I had to put the center channel right above it to dream out the whine. As you said it's filled with ads to the point of being obnoxious as well which is total fucking bullshit when if the owner has paid for Live already.

The other thing is that its not a very competent media center compared to other products and uses far more power. A little WDTV Live is infinitely more useful while having 1/10th the footprint both in size and power. That's probably why Microsoft has been desperate to sign TV related deals for content.

Anyway I agree with whoever posted a general lack of interest in the next console gen. There were three standout games for me this gen, Red Dead Redemption and Demons/Dark Souls. I could have easily lived without the rest and many ended up coming out on the PC anyway.

I think this generation I'll save myself the money and just skip it altogether. Steam gives me more than enough to play in limited free time.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 29, 2012, 05:29 Lorcin

My PS3 is pretty much media server, Rock Band and Rocksmith (wife imported it for my birthday on Tuesday - now my fingers hurt). I'll be interested to see how the anti-preowned measures affect game rentals as that is how I play most of these overpriced 6 hour "blockbusters".

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 29, 2012, 01:03 Cutter

My 360 was the first and last console I'll ever buy. I think I purchased 2, maybe 3 games for it and rented a dozen or so since I got it a few years back. Definitely not a worthwhile investment. And like Helf says, the amount of shit on these things with ads and what not is garbage.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 29, 2012, 00:54 The Half Elf

See the 360 is the opposite. I bought it as a game console, but with the last update it's just a huge freaking advertising wet dream/media center.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 28, 2012, 21:05 MisterBenn

I just realised I don't have any interest in the next gen of consoles. I owned all the generations of playstation but my PS3 just gathers dust with the exception of family gaming on Rock Band 3. Consoles are also too restrictive and inflexible to operate as a media centre compared to PCs too, so overall I can't imagine I will buy one. I've been primarily a computer user since the Spectrum but I've always had a console too... feels a bit like the end of an era is coming!  

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo