Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers

AMD now offers new version 12.3 Catalyst reference Drivers for AMD/ATI graphics cards. The new drivers add support for a number of new products, and include the following mostly game-related changes:

• AMD Catalyst Control Center startup issues/delays have been resolved
  • Elder Scrolls: Skyrim : No longer displays flickering and texture corruption with Anti-Aliasing enabled
  • Alan Wake : A system crash is no longer experienced when running the game in DirectX 9 mode with Crossfire enabled.
  • Far Cry 2 : A random system hang is no longer experienced when running the game at high in game setting.
  • Tom Clancy HAWX : No longer crashes after task switching with MLAA (Morphological Anti-Aliasing) and Anti-Aliasing enabled.
  • Furmark Benchmark : No longer crashes when launched in High Performance mode.
  • Quake 4 : No longer display corruption after task switching when run in High Performance mode
  • XPlane : Textures no longer exhibit flicker and corruption.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2012, 22:49 LittleMe

Dades wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 22:02:
You can't wait for the stable driver releases if you play a lot of new games, you have to use their constantly rotating preview drivers.

I don't think this is AMD's fault. It's more likely a fault of Microsoft's Direct3D in how, for some reason, it frequently needs new drivers for new games. No?

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2012, 22:02 Dades

AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 10:49:
Dades wrote:
So not wanting to update your video drivers weekly

They release the driver's monthly, not weekly.

You can't wait for the stable driver releases if you play a lot of new games, you have to use their constantly rotating preview drivers.

24. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2012, 10:49 AngelicPenguin

Dades wrote:
So not wanting to update your video drivers weekly

They release the driver's monthly, not weekly. Funny in the hardware world, I always hear of their monthly releases as a positive not a negative. I agree the drivers could certainly be better and game support tends to lag behind nvidia.

23. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2012, 09:20 Silicon Avatar

I have trouble with Youtube from time to time on 3 different PCs with 3 different video cards (both Nvidia and ATI). I think it's just Youtube (or Flash) being sucky.

22. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2012, 03:39 InBlack

KilrathiAce wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 16:04:
First of the 12.x series drivers that works perfectly on my 6990. Finally, good job AMD.

Gonna have to download these I guess...

I have a nifty blue line!

21. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2012, 00:20 MisterBenn

Thanks for replying LittleMe. Yep that's what I meant with the YouTube videos, by restart the vid I meant "seek to the start"

You're right about havign patience, although it's been this way for about a year. Firefox, Flash Player and ATI drivers have all been been through multiple updates and I've stopped holding my breath when one of them is patching these days. What I haven't tried is another browser, I like Firefox, don't want IE and don't like the idea of putting more power in the hands of Google with Chrome...

Playing: Path of Exile, Trials Evolution, Magic 2014.

20. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 29, 2012, 00:12 LittleMe

MisterBenn wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 20:57:

1) The (youtube) video is corrupted and plays as though it started from a plain green key frame (i.e. wierd details move within a sea of bright green) when you start a video. This sometimes fixes itself within a few seconds otherwise you need to restart the clip to make it right.

I get only this one of the ones you mention. No need to restart the video. Just drag the time slider some and it will be fixed. Started happening recently. There's no way for me to know if it's an ATI but or if it's a bug with the Adobe Flash player. edit: this DID start for me with the recent Adobe flash updates so I think it's their bug, not ATI's.

That said, also I don't see how you can be sure anything you mentioned can be definitively blamed on the ATI driver. It could be Adobe bug, a Firefox bug, or some recent Microsoft bug in their recent patches that they put out every month. Patience is advised and the bugs will be found and fixed.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

19. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 28, 2012, 23:38 Caladell

Hey gilly, try messing with your CPU affinity for SPAZ. I started having problems myself. Not sure if it was after a driver update or SPAZ update or what. Anyway, after some looking around, I found that if I set the Affinity to CPU 0 and CPU 1, it runs perfectly. Worth a shot at any rate.  

18. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 28, 2012, 20:57 MisterBenn

Let's see how these drivers fare then. I'm not hugely impressed with ATIs drivers on Windows 7. I have two systems with ATI, my desktop has a 6950 and is 64 bit, my laptop has an X600 mobility(!) and is 32 bit and both run Windows 7. Both systems have the same issues with YouTube:

1) The video is corrupted and plays as though it started from a plain green key frame (i.e. wierd details move within a sea of bright green) when you start a video. This sometimes fixes itself within a few seconds otherwise you need to restart the clip to make it right.

2) If you scroll YouTube while the clip is playing, sometimes all text disappears and the video window goes plain black. After you stop scrolling, after a few seconds all returns to normal again.

3) I get quite frequent crashes if I jump between several videos in quick succession while looking for something. I get the firefox crash with the error report screen.

Numbers 2 and 3 occur much more at times of slow connection. I have had literally hundreds of occurrences of number 3 between the two systems!

Does anyone have experience of this? The laptop was fine before Windows 7 and both systems are quite regular. It happens so much that can't be the only one! I wonder if it's a compatability issue between Windows 7 / Firefox / Flash Player / ATI driver combination....

(Fuck, I should have started downloading these before writing all that!)

Playing: Path of Exile, Trials Evolution, Magic 2014.

17. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 28, 2012, 20:17 DedEye

I'd rather have more releases than fewer but do tend to stay with a version that works for me.

I've owned many cards of both brands over the years. They both have their advantages and disadvantages at times.

I've been using the 12.1 betas but will probably give these a shot given the Skyrim and CCC fixes.

16. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 28, 2012, 20:05 SirKnight

TurdFergasun wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 18:07:
Dades wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 17:41:
Getting a little tired of these constant updates, can't they just bribe developers like Nvidia does?

fixed

No NVIDIA does not bribe anyone. NVIDIA's Developer Technology and Relations teams do not need to resort to that.

15. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 28, 2012, 20:03 Asmo

Dades wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 17:56:
ochentay4 wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 17:51:
Getting a little tired of these constant updates, can't they just work with developers like Nvidia does?
Just dont update if the fixes do not affect you.

It's the frequency. I have to update because otherwise many releases aren't very playable. I couldn't play RAGE at all for almost a month. Nvidia gets this right, I don't see why AMD can't.

Indeed. I've had non stop dramas with my 5970 since about 11.6 with random corruption and tearing. Exhaustive testing of the card and system shows no physical faults, and endless web searches shows many people having the same issue with the newer drivers/ccc.

Ati have a reputation for shoddy driver releases. I'd technically be an Ati fanboi given how many of their cards I've owned, but nVidia are much more renowned for stable working driver releases.

14. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 28, 2012, 19:09 Silicon Avatar

Nvidia/ATI is a story of the always being greener on the other side.

13. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 28, 2012, 18:43 TurdFergasun

Dades wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 18:38:
So not wanting to update your video drivers weekly is the same thing as being a console user, thanks for clearing that up.

When AMD gets its act together on drivers I'll check them out again but thanks for the troll.

uhmm where does it say you have to do anything? go read driver analysis reports. you troll yourself with your own pathetic reasoning.

12. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 28, 2012, 18:38 Dades

TurdFergasun wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 18:33:
it's the way you're meant to be played. srsly tho if i were you i'd try an xbox, no brain tiring exercises like manually updating things or having to read.

So not wanting to update your video drivers weekly is the same thing as being a console user and a magical fairy delivers a sack full of cash to every single company in the entire gaming industry. Thanks for clearing that up.

When AMD gets its act together on drivers I'll check them out again but thanks for the troll.

11. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 28, 2012, 18:33 TurdFergasun

Dades wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 18:28:
Getting a little tired of these constant updates, can't they just bribe developers like Nvidia does?

fixed

I doubt Nvidia is bribing every single developer out there but whatever gets me a better game without having to wait for fixes that need to be applied every week.

I'll just get an Nvidia card next time then though, message received.

it's the way you're meant to be played. srsly tho if i were you i'd try an xbox, no brain tiring exercises like manually updating things or having to read.

10. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 28, 2012, 18:28 Dades

fixed

I doubt Nvidia is bribing every single developer out there but whatever gets me a better game without having to wait for fixes that need to be applied every week.

I'll just get an Nvidia card next time then though, message received.

9. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 28, 2012, 18:07 TurdFergasun

fixed

8. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 28, 2012, 18:04 Joss

+1

7. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Mar 28, 2012, 17:56 Dades

Getting a little tired of these constant updates, can't they just work with developers like Nvidia does?

It's the frequency. I have to update because otherwise many releases aren't very playable. I couldn't play RAGE at all for almost a month. Nvidia gets this right, I don't see why AMD can't.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo