Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller

There's a preview of Assassin's Creed 3 on GameSpy with quotes from Ubisoft Montreal Creative Director Alex Hutchinson about what to expect from the stealth/action sequel. The author deserves extra points for the concluding Q&A expressing skepticism that the PC edition of the game will be released alongside the console editions. On another PC-related topic, they learn that their professed "love" and plans for "supporting" the PC does not include putting time into mouse and keyboard support (thanks Destructoid). Here's word:

Sadly the PC version won't get much special treatment, he admitted: "We're definitely supporting PC, we love PC, but I think it'll be PC with a controller. I don't see us investing hugely in a mouse and keyboard setup. I think if you want to play on PC and you want to play Assassin's Creed, you have a controller."

View
112 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

32. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 13:06 Ravor

I don't see myself supporting them by buying their PC game that doesn't support KB/Mouse.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 13:01 jacobvandy

Also, I'm a big fan of hating on Ubisoft for their idiocy, but all of you taking this as "there will be no KB/M support at all" are jumping to conclusions.  

30. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 13:00 Wildone

You make it sound having the 'latest and greatest HD video card'is a bad thing?! Instead of playing on 6 year old hardware? Thats better? If everyone thought like you do how come Apple makes millions every time it 'slightly' upgrades the IPAD lol people love to get the latest and greatest hardware, and willing to pay for it.  

29. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:58 grudgebearer

Ubisoft, how about you go eat a bag of dicks instead of telling us how much you love PC gaming while simultaneously dropping support for the primary input method for the PC.  

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

28. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:55 nofb

Amusing

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2012, 03:44.

27. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:54 Clancy

Frijoles wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:16:
Saying they removed keyboard/mouse from AC3 from the PC support isn't a big deal since there was hardly any support in the previous titles either. One of the worst control schemes I've ever tried.
It wasn't that bad once you got used to it.

This is just a excuse for Ubi to leave the PC market since the title will do so poorly. Good riddance.
About the only thing that can save them is if they package a controller with the game.
I still wouldn't bother, since everything will still have the stink of consoles on it, from low res textures to unoptimized game play.

26. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:51 Techie714

Tumblr endorses this decision...lol  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

25. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:49 BurntSoul

Yeah, you're right UbiSoft. You know what, I also am going to say 'fuck it' to the PC's natural set of controllers and just use a gamepad to send my daily email, create documents, do my taxes or edit a web page.

If you aren't going to invest in the mouse and keyboard, I'm not either.

I have another great idea: Next AC game, please - don't invest any time into the gamepad as a controller for the consoles, and instead focus on attacking and moving by using a yoke, pedals and a wheel. Playing Assassin's Creed never felt so good!

Fuck off UbiSoft.

24. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:44 jacobvandy

I've played every AC so far with my handy-dandy Xbox 360 controller, so I don't have a problem with this. Trying to use KB/M for these games would be disgusting IMO...  

23. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:42 El Pit

Tried the first Assains's Creed and quickly found out that playing it with mouse/kb was difficult FOR ME. Haven't touched AC ever since, although it's bothering me that I'm missing out a maybe good franchise for an Old Thief fan like me.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

22. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:41 panbient

MajorD wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:21:
Then WTF is the point JackWeeds?

I think his point is basically "We don't care about the niche hardcore PC market". It's a console style game, why not play it with a console style controller? Back in the day if I wanted to play some kind of action game I'd grab my MS Sidewinder game pad. If you play a driving game don't you grab a wheel?

It's not meant for the super elite hardcore pc-gaming crowd. It's a console blockbuster that you will probably (hopefully) be able to play with better graphical quality on your pc. If you can afford the latest and greatest super HD video card and you like these type of console blockbuster games then you should be able to afford (or already own) a modern gamepad. That's what the PR guy is getting at.

21. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:40 Jerykk

bhcompy wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 11:50:
You were saying, Jerykk?

Yes? You are aware that you can play the PC version with a gamepad and still get superior visuals and performance, right? I'm not really sure why you can't grasp this concept.

20. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:38 007Bistromath

They would've pissed people off alot less if they'd just told the truth: if you play this game with a mouse, you're objectively wrong. It's just not that kind of game. Reaction is more important than precision.  

19. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:33 Techie714

FUCK YOU Ubisoft & EA!! WTF is up with publishers lately making some horrible business decisions? Thank God for things like Kickstarter & indy devs. We all need to keep supporting pro PC companies like GOG, Kickstarter, Indy Games, CD Projekt RED, etc.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

18. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:30 LgFriess

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:13:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:08:
Wow. Mouse and keyboard controls are too hard? Even indie games get that right. I just have to laugh at these guys.

This stuff was long ago standardized in DirectInput to boot, not supporting it means going out of your way to only use XInput which is essentially pissing on the title. It is pretty trivial to do both - include the silly artwork for prompts and writing some changes to a config file for keybinds is all trivial stuff. This is just extreme laziness, if they won't bother with this very very basic porting stuff then people should have zero confidence in the rest of the port and treat it accordingly at sale time.

Wow. Just wow. "We love PC." Uhh, ya. Don't insult us Alex.

17. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:21 MajorD

Then WTF is the point JackWeeds?

16. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:20 J

The only AC I have is AC2, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.  

15. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:19 eRe4s3r

Indeed, this is pretty epic on the "piss your existing PC customers off more" scale too.

You gotta wonder how brain-dead PR drones like that even get a Job.. no wait, he is actually Creative Director.. and his creative output is coming up with ways to enrage his customers. He is doing a good job with that

What is this today, the piss of your customer news day? EA, Ubisoft.. whats next.. Double Fine announcing they use starforce?

14. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:16 Frijoles

I thought they said they weren't going to do any additional work above what was in AC2? As in, they acknowledge that AC1 and AC2 came with a steaming pile of shit that they placed on the keyboard, and they had no intention of changing it.

Saying they removed keyboard/mouse from AC3 from the PC support isn't a big deal since there was hardly any support in the previous titles either. One of the worst control schemes I've ever tried.

13. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:13 Verno

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:08:
Wow. Mouse and keyboard controls are too hard? Even indie games get that right. I just have to laugh at these guys.

This stuff was long ago standardized in DirectInput to boot, not supporting it means going out of your way to only use XInput which is essentially pissing on the title. It is pretty trivial to do both - include the silly artwork for prompts and writing some changes to a config file for keybinds is all trivial stuff. This is just extreme laziness, if they won't bother with this very very basic porting stuff then people should have zero confidence in the rest of the port and treat it accordingly at sale time.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2012, 12:18.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

112 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo