Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller

There's a preview of Assassin's Creed 3 on GameSpy with quotes from Ubisoft Montreal Creative Director Alex Hutchinson about what to expect from the stealth/action sequel. The author deserves extra points for the concluding Q&A expressing skepticism that the PC edition of the game will be released alongside the console editions. On another PC-related topic, they learn that their professed "love" and plans for "supporting" the PC does not include putting time into mouse and keyboard support (thanks Destructoid). Here's word:

Sadly the PC version won't get much special treatment, he admitted: "We're definitely supporting PC, we love PC, but I think it'll be PC with a controller. I don't see us investing hugely in a mouse and keyboard setup. I think if you want to play on PC and you want to play Assassin's Creed, you have a controller."

View
112 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

52. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 15:02 Tumbler

Not everyone is able to use a controller or shares your love of them, as has been explained several times already.

Who is not "able" to use a controller? It's built for two handed humans.

That being said games on the PC don't need to live and die by keyboard and mouse controls. I don't think I want capcom building the next street fighter around using a keyboard and mouse. I understand that if I want to play that game a controller is functional but a fighting stick is ideal. (And a keyboard sucks)

I don't want DCS to build that new Mustang Expansion or whatever so that keyboard and mouse are the best solution, I want them to focus more on HOTAS controls.

I may want forza 5 to focus on contoller and wheel support but I'd hate to see them build it around a keyboard and mouse...the fuck would that play like?

It's silly to demand anyone making software on the PC must make keyboard and mouse controls a priority.

If anything you should say thank you for being open and honest about this so that you don't buy it only to find you need a controller after the fact.

Case in point if you care about this Go Buy a Controller.

You have cheaper options as well if you don't mind long cords.

Cross platform games like this should play with a controller on the pc the same way they do on consoles. (would prefer same FOV as well) I want my super console experience when I buy these games. Don't screw it all up by building old school pc controls like it's somehow going to work when the entire game was designed around the controller to be played on a big screen tv.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 14:59 Creston

To be fair, playing AC with m+kb is a royal pain. I tried it that way for the first AC, and compared to a controller, it's actually inferior.

That said, their "we love the PC" bleating while saying "We're not going to give a shit about m+kb" is more typical ubisoft horseshit 'wink wink' attitude.

Creston

50. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 14:58 BurntSoul

Tumbler wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 14:24:
I don't see why people get so upset about a console game needing a console controller. Even if it's on the PC why does this really bother anyone? If you make a flight sim you will likely enjoy it more with a joystick. If you make a driving game you'll likely enjoy it more for with a wheel. (or a joystick or gamepad)

I like the option of playing these games on the PC with a controller. Loved Deus Ex PC with a controller, loved Skyrim PC with a controller. I'm guessing this won't be a $35 sale as deus ex was or as awesome as skyrim was so unless they offer a significant discount and ship it without always on DRM I don't see any of this mattering.

360 game for me.

It's a matter of preference, a matter of comfort. I think it's great that you prefer to play your games with a gamepad on PC. I do not like to play PC games using a gamepad unless it's an arcade game.

Difference between UbiSoft's new game and the games you played is, on the PC you had a choice/luxury as to which controller you wanted to use with Deus Ex or Skyrim on PC. and everybody is happy in this case.

49. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 14:55 m0deth

This is nothing more than cost-cutting at the PC player's expense, with a flimsy excuse framed as a 'feature' as usual from just about the biggest hacks in game development.

These stories do nothing but help people like this believe their own BS. I can't help but imagine what might happen if their press releases like this and their game releases were met with crickets and empty venues.

48. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 14:51 yuastnav

I don't see why people get so upset about a console game needing a console controller. Even if it's on the PC why does this really bother anyone? If you make a flight sim you will likely enjoy it more with a joystick. If you make a driving game you'll likely enjoy it more for with a wheel. (or a joystick or gamepad)

I like the option of playing these games on the PC with a controller. Loved Deus Ex PC with a controller, loved Skyrim PC with a controller. I'm guessing this won't be a $35 sale as deus ex was or as awesome as skyrim was so unless they offer a significant discount and ship it without always on DRM I don't see any of this mattering.

360 game for me.

I never had a console and always played with either keyboard or mouse and keyboard. For the last 20 years. Controllers are really, really awkward to use for me and the only games where I'd even consider using one would be with sports games and flight simulators. That's it. I am much more used to KB/M than anything else so controllers are just not an option to me and a useless accessory.

47. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 14:40 SXO

This boggles my mind. I could understand if this was their first time porting the series to PC, but all the previous AC games had kb&m support, so why is it such a problem to implement now? Is it really that expensive to reproduce code you've already made for the last few games that are using the same engine? This is even more stunning because AC is one of the few ports that even supports such niche setups as multiple monitors via AMD Eyefinity or nVidia Surround.  

46. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 14:33 Verno

360 game for me.

Not everyone is able to use a controller or shares your love of them, as has been explained several times already.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

45. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 14:28 Cutter

It doesn't NEED a controller. They're just too cheap and lazy to do a proper PC port. World of difference there.  

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

44. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 14:24 Tumbler

360 game for me.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

43. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 13:57 Cutter

Sure they love the PC. Love it like a red-headed stepchild. And once again the result will be shitty PC sales which they'll blame on pirates or anything else but themselves. Seriously, why even bother, Ubisoft? And that doesn't even mention the fact that this game is being made for a 7 year old console, so it's going to look like shite anyway. Once again, no sale for Ubisoft.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

42. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 13:54 BurntSoul

Here, let's flip this around and see what console players would think of this:

"We're definitely supporting Consoles, we love Consoles, but I think it'll be Consoles with a keyboard and mouse. I don't see us investing hugely in a controller setup. I think if you want to play on Console and you want to play Assassin's Creed, you have a keyboard and mouse."

I'm not attacking the console players out there, I play console games as well. All I'm saying is, if you read the above statement, don't you feel like they left something out?

41. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 13:50 BurntSoul

What a silly response, as if affording it is even relevant. The PC is the choice platform, it's all about customization and a personalized experience. People go to consoles for standardization and ease of use. If you want to release products for the PC then generally the audience is more receptive when they are actually tailored to the platforms strengths.

And yes some people like doing weird things playing racing games with a KB/M. Some people here play FPS games with arrow keys and bind things like movement to the mouse. Some people are disabled and need rebindable controls. That's why they are on this platform in the first place. They aren't exactly asking for much either.

TOTALLY -THIS- Thank you Verno!

I have a PC, I want to use its controls. I also don't want to wake up one day, realizing every developer is just going to use the gamepad from now on for PC titles. I'm comfortable with what the PC naturally uses for controllers. People want freedom to be able to bind their keys any damn way they please. If people want to use a gamepad as an alternative, great - have at it! To those games that hardcode their keys and mouse buttons - Fuck them as well. I'm left handed, it's hard enough finding a decent mouse. Let me use the arrow keys, for fuck's sake!

40. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 13:48 gilly775

I could care less. I thought a controller was better than a mouse/keyboard with this series.  

39. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 13:40 nin

Yeah, this'll be so much better on the pc than on consoles! Go go pc pep squad!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

38. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 13:36 Verno

panbient wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 13:26:
So why can't you afford a $50-60 peripheral? Do you prefer playing racing games with a mouse and keyboard over a wheel?

What a silly response, as if affording it is even relevant. The PC is the choice platform, it's all about customization and a personalized experience. People go to consoles for standardization and ease of use. If you want to release products for the PC then generally the audience is more receptive when they are actually tailored to the platforms strengths.

And yes some people like doing weird things playing racing games with a KB/M. Some people here play FPS games with arrow keys and bind things like movement to the mouse. Some people are disabled and need rebindable controls. That's why they are on this platform in the first place. They aren't exactly asking for much either.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

37. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 13:26 panbient

Wildone wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 13:00:
You make it sound having the 'latest and greatest HD video card'is a bad thing?! Instead of playing on 6 year old hardware? Thats better? If everyone thought like you do how come Apple makes millions every time it 'slightly' upgrades the IPAD lol people love to get the latest and greatest hardware, and willing to pay for it.

So why can't you afford a $50-60 peripheral? Do you prefer playing racing games with a mouse and keyboard over a wheel?

36. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 13:20 NegaDeath

Sooooo, Ubi, are you going to get around to fixing that DX10 support you removed 3 games and one patch ago? No rush or anything.  

35. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 13:17 avianflu

Unfortunately some PC gamers will buy this and not realize that a controller is 100% required to play.  

34. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 13:14 Overon

What a huge red flag. I think you are stupid to be preordering this game. It's an indication about how much effort has been put into the PC version. Let the buyer beware.  

33. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 13:12 Fletch

Ubisoft just gets funnier and funnier with every release. Why do you even bother, Ubisoft? Every "PC game" you release is a bigger joke than the previous one. Well, it makes ME laugh, anyway.  

112 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo