Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller

There's a preview of Assassin's Creed 3 on GameSpy with quotes from Ubisoft Montreal Creative Director Alex Hutchinson about what to expect from the stealth/action sequel. The author deserves extra points for the concluding Q&A expressing skepticism that the PC edition of the game will be released alongside the console editions. On another PC-related topic, they learn that their professed "love" and plans for "supporting" the PC does not include putting time into mouse and keyboard support (thanks Destructoid). Here's word:

Sadly the PC version won't get much special treatment, he admitted: "We're definitely supporting PC, we love PC, but I think it'll be PC with a controller. I don't see us investing hugely in a mouse and keyboard setup. I think if you want to play on PC and you want to play Assassin's Creed, you have a controller."

View
112 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

72. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 16:48 yuastnav

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 16:32:
[...]
What a ridiculously sensationalist post. Any serious PC gamer should have a X360 controller as there are a lot of genres that benefit from it. For instance, if you don't have a steering wheel then a controller is the next best thing for racing games and dramatically better than a keyboard - and they're great for fighting games, platformers, third-person action games, sports games, casual flight/combat simulators and a lot of indie games. They're incredibly cheap and you can use several at the same time, which is great when you have friends around. It's long since taken over from the joystick as the most popular secondary peripheral.

This is just not true. I don't even understand why it's such a difficult concept to understand. It varies on a person by person basis! You may think that controllers are better for platformers, third person action games, racing games etc. but that does not mean this is true for everyone. Playing these games with a keyboard and mouse setup is much easier for me because I am much more used to that control scheme and using controllers is really awkward for me and actually tires my fingers from that awkward positioning. It is much easier for me to do precise movement with the keyboard than a controller. For someone who has no problems using a controller that may be not true but that does not mean that everyone is equally capable in usin a controller.
People can be so self-centered sometimes. My way or the highway.

[edit]
I mean - I don't care. AC1 and AC2 were good games and I had a lot of fun, even with kb/m (I thought the controls were rather good, not bad at all) but if that's what they want to do. Okay, fuck 'em.
But I'm sure I am not the only one who nigh to always prefers using the kb/m setup as oppossed to controllers so when ubi does something like this it just sucks.
Although this would not be the first time. I remember that I had to use a joystick to play X-Wing Alliance. (afair the game would not even start if there was no joystick plugged in; it's still strange, though, since I played FreeSpace 2, Freelancer and the X Series all with mouse and keyboard and had never any problems, at all)

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2012, 17:02.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

71. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 16:47 PHJF

Any serious PC gamer should have a X360 controller as there are a lot of genres that benefit from it.

I am a serious PC gamer and I don't own a 360 gamepad. I'm serious about not wanting to use overpriced shitty Microsoft peripherals. The last MS peripheral I purchased was a SideWinder Precision 2 ~10 years ago.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

70. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 16:43 Roachmojo

No shit!

Jesus fucking Christ UBISOFT....are you fucking kidding me?

69. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 16:32 theyarecomingforyou

It's disappointing that they're so open about their contempt for the PC as a gaming platform. You only have to look at Alan Wake to see what happens when a developer decides to put a little effort in - it really pays off.

Having said that, I play games like Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider on a controller anyway so it's not a big deal for me. You don't need accuracy for the combat and the analog movement of the controller allows you to control the speed you walk at, which isn't possible on keyboard.

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 15:08:
Here I was laughing when I saw that Borderland 2 PC list of "features" and of those bullet points were mouse and keyboard support. I was like get the fuck out of here m+k support on a PC game, of course how else are you going to play the game. Well I guess it is reality these days, mouse and keyboard support really is a premium feature you may not get with every ported games on the PC.
Actually, the bulletpoint related to Logitech keyboards and the mini-display they have on them. You completely misinterpreted what was written.

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 15:08:
So if you are thinking about a PC upgrade for this year, forget about that fancy new Nvidia GTX 680 video card, just get yourself a nice xbox 360 controller instead, it will be a much better money investment as far as bang for a buck, especially if you were thinking of playing Ass Creed on your PC.
What a ridiculously sensationalist post. Any serious PC gamer should have a X360 controller as there are a lot of genres that benefit from it. For instance, if you don't have a steering wheel then a controller is the next best thing for racing games and dramatically better than a keyboard - and they're great for fighting games, platformers, third-person action games, sports games, casual flight/combat simulators and a lot of indie games. They're incredibly cheap and you can use several at the same time, which is great when you have friends around. It's long since taken over from the joystick as the most popular secondary peripheral.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

68. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 16:29 Krovven

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 15:58:
Regarding fixed controls, I'm pretty sure I've seen you argue about games needing rebindable key support.

Do you see me arguing something about that here? Typical Verno trying to start an argument with me where there is none to be had.

I don't play AC on PC, so this doesn't effect me. All I said was it's no different than their previous AC releases on PC. Most people here complaining about the quote are jumping to the conclusion his statement equals no mouse/keyboard controls, when it does not. This also leads me to believe the people complaining about it have never bought an AC PC game and probably never intended to anyways.

Should there be customizable controls? Yes absolutely. Should people be shocked when Ubisoft don't included it yet again? No. Will some idiots jump to the conclusion this means no mouse/keyboard controls at all? Clearly. Whatever false information will serve their ranting needs.

67. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 16:28 saluk

I love playing pc games with a gamepad. Some types of games just fit a gamepad better. Platformers like AC definitely fit that category.

That said, saying "If you want to play on PC and you want to play Assassin's Creed, you have a controller" is dumb. You may have a controller, but you may still prefer to use mouse-keyboard for the game.

Fortunately, they aren't actually removing mouse/keyboard support from the game.

66. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 16:14 bhcompy

Jerykk wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:40:
bhcompy wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 11:50:
You were saying, Jerykk?

Yes? You are aware that you can play the PC version with a gamepad and still get superior visuals and performance, right? I'm not really sure why you can't grasp this concept.

Quoting necrosis:
They were always to lazy to add proper 16:10 aspect support. Now mouse and keyboard is to much?

How is that better? Why do I want to play on a screen with a distorted image due to improper aspect ratio scaling?

65. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 15:58 Verno

This sounds exactly like the previous AC releases on PC, fixed controls. I've sure everyone bitching have never bought an AC game on PC to begin with.

Eh, given how they improved their ports from AC1 to AC2 I don't see why people wouldn't buy an AC game on the PC. It's not the type of action game I would normally play on the PC personally but obviously different strokes for different folks. I own a few and the ports were pretty good despite some niggling problems, the series had humble beginnings but really has come a long way in some regards.

Regarding fixed controls, I'm pretty sure I've seen you argue about games needing rebindable key support. I recall something about binding movement to a mouse and whatnot. I think it's a really fair point because gaming on the PC is all about choice and while I like playing things a certain way I don't think it should be forced on everyone else.

The text from the interview is a bit confusing "huge investment in KB/M" is kind of weird because you just really need to A) support it and B) let people rebind them to do it. There is no logical reason they can't do keybindings, it is a very simple thing to support and it's not time or labor intensive. When people start getting all uppity about needing quad monitor support and whatnot then I just kind of tune out but this is some pretty basic stuff.

Really though, PC gaming enthusiasts (not just you) need to accept the fact that just because the platform has been around longer doesn't mean publishers or developers OWE the market anything extra. They don't need to port these games to pc, at all.

Why does the platform age matter? They're bringing a game to the PC market, logically they would want to make it a good experience for people on that platform. Even moreso when the games are usually delayed months after the console releases. People aren't really asking for anything special here, that's a straw man.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2012, 16:11.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

64. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 15:54 Prez

"We love the PC. We support the PC"... by not putting forth an ounce of effort to take advantage of its superior control scheme. Riiight.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

63. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 15:51 panbient

wtf_man wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 15:28:
Not that I'd get this game anyway, because of the Ubi-shit DRM....

But, if I wanted to play games with a fucking controller... I'd buy a fucking console. Since I can't fucking stand console controllers... I don't own a console. So why the fuck would I buy a controller for my PC?

So that you can play an obvious console blockbuster game the way it was originally intended.

Really though, PC gaming enthusiasts (not just you) need to accept the fact that just because the platform has been around longer doesn't mean publishers or developers OWE the market anything extra. They don't need to port these games to pc, at all.

62. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Mar 28, 2012, 15:47 Armengar

TBH I dont care - the "probably" DRM will mean I wont be buying it anyway.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

61. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Mar 28, 2012, 15:45 yonder

Krovven wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 15:37:
I've always been given the AC games as gifts and the PC community for AC never seemed to take off. Aside from trading in Portal 2 for a used AC:B Ive never spent any money on the AC series.

Who in their right mind would play AC on the PC with the current draconian DRM setup? I'd *LOVE* to play it on the PC instead of my 360 but there's a 0% chance I buy an Ubisoft DRM'd game until they fix their anti-consumer stance.

Also... yeah... I'd definitely play with a controller.

60. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 15:45 Joss

Is third-person view? I'm out!

Oh, and fuck this analog controller shit too.

59. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 15:44 Jdrez

Meh. The first AC game controlled alright with m/kbd but the controller still works better. It's just that sort of game.

*Edit to add* Also I gotta take issue with so many on here saying the PC port is "free money for doing no work at all."

Making it run on PC at all requires work. They have to incorporate support for, and test, all kinds of different hardware and drivers. That alone could be considered an arduous task.

58. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 15:37 Krovven

Gotta love how the usual suspects just jump to the conclusion that his statement equals no mouse/keyboard controls at all. This sounds exactly like the previous AC releases on PC, fixed controls. I've sure everyone bitching have never bought an AC game on PC to begin with.

I play the AC games on the PS3. I've always been given the AC games as gifts and the PC community for AC never seemed to take off. Aside from trading in Portal 2 for a used AC:B Ive never spent any money on the AC series.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2012, 15:51.

57. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 15:35 GunSpeed

He is only promoting for AC3
We all know that they will delay the game just to say we are adding support for Mouse and keyboard for our lovely PC Fans

All that after the PC Rage and frustration about his comments

Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssssssssssss... It's a conspiracy theory ^_^

Now the gaming devs joined the media schemes, promote your own game for free by a single torch.

56. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 15:28 wtf_man

Not that I'd get this game anyway, because of the Ubi-shit DRM....

But, if I wanted to play games with a fucking controller... I'd buy a fucking console. Since I can't fucking stand console controllers... I don't own a console. So why the fuck would I buy a controller for my PC?

55. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 15:17 Verno

Who is not "able" to use a controller? It's built for two handed humans.

Seriously, I already spelled it out in detail. Disabled gamers for one. Second this isn't something that needs to be justified to you personally so the attitude about it is kind of hilarious. Some people just don't like console controllers the same way some people don't like KB/M, deal with it. It's the standard input peripheral for the platform, no one forces you to get a KB/M on your 360 to do shit. Hell people didn't ask for games to be built around it, they just wanted proper support for basic stuff like rebinding.

That being said games on the PC don't need to live and die by keyboard and mouse controls. I don't think I want capcom building the next street fighter around using a keyboard and mouse. I understand that if I want to play that game a controller is functional but a fighting stick is ideal. (And a keyboard sucks)

The PC is all about choice, when people want a guided experience where everything is already taken into they have consoles for that. Using a controller is one choice amongst many but that being the only real choice taken into account isn't appropriate no matter how much Tumbler wuvs his controllers.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

54. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 15:08 xXBatmanXx

Pass. Guess he can't complain when they don't sell any PC copies then they will blame piracy.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

53. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 15:08 SpectralMeat

Here I was laughing when I saw that Borderland 2 PC list of "features" and of those bullet points were mouse and keyboard support. I was like get the fuck out of here m+k support on a PC game, of course how else are you going to play the game. Well I guess it is reality these days, mouse and keyboard support really is a premium feature you may not get with every ported games on the PC.

So if you are thinking about a PC upgrade for this year, forget about that fancy new Nvidia GTX 680 video card, just get yourself a nice xbox 360 controller instead, it will be a much better money investment as far as bang for a buck, especially if you were thinking of playing Ass Creed on your PC.

Steam: SpectralMeat

112 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo