Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New SimCity Only Playable Online

The upcoming continuation of the SimCity series will require a constant internet connection to play, reports Joystiq. They have confirmed that the game will be sold through digital distributors other than Origin, but lead designer Stone Librande tells them players will need to be connected to EA's online service to play, even in single-player. Word is: "The always-on connection becomes necessary with the game's emphasis on multiplayer and regional impact, and the use of a global economy that all players can influence."

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

46. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 13:39 nin

I love it that EA is following UBIs route, thinking it'll be better.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 13:37 Fletch

LOL! Yet ANOTHER PC game that is a definitive NO BUY simply because of the ridiculous and completely unnecessary requirement of online-only. Fuck you (again), EA! Actually, all EA games are a no-buy nowadays. When the FUCK did Sim City become a fucking multiplayer game!?! To answer ASeven.. apparently there ISN'T a game publishers won't fucking ruin.  

44. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 13:26 deqer

You fanboi mofos better stop supporting EA. If you buying/playing this, then your face needs a beating.

"The always-on connection becomes necessary with the game's emphasis on multiplayer and regional impact, and the use of a global economy that all players can influence."

What the fuck? Did we ask for a new Sim City game? Did we ask for a global economy-based Sim City game that interacts with other cities, and shit?

No. We just like Sim City, the same Sim City should be.

So, screw you EA. I'm going back to playing Sim City for SNES on emulator.

43. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 13:25 NKD

Jay wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 13:21:
I haven't been keeping up with SimCity news. With player-influenced global economy and always online gameplay, does that mean the cities you build are persistent and running even when you're not playing? If so, I assume you can't pause or fast-forward or reload old saves to play with disasters (unless they don't care about broken economy)?

I believe they said the online component is asynchronous. I.e. it's not simulating all those cities in real time when you're offline, just periodically polling your city for data when you play and updating the online metagame stuff.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

42. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 13:24 Verno

I don't know if the article is mistaken but I found the wording interesting as well. Not only is it persistent online only but you also need to be actively running Origin for the session as well which I imagine will put off some users. This is surprising as even BF3 only requires an Origin check at load time, you can kill it after loading.

Anyway as someone else mentioned earlier the whole thing seems like a solution in search of a problem.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

41. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 13:21 Jay

I haven't been keeping up with SimCity news. With player-influenced global economy and always online gameplay, does that mean the cities you build are persistent and running even when you're not playing? If so, I assume you can't pause or fast-forward or reload old saves to play with disasters (unless they don't care about broken economy)?  

40. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 13:20 NKD

Antdude wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 13:08:
Then EA introduced The Sims Online. And it was awful. Everyone hated it. It bombed and disappeared without a trace. EA screwed up the fundamental concepts everyone loved about The Sims and took away most of the features that we loved about the first game. Making it 'connected' didn't satisfy anyone.

It wasn't bad because it was online. It was bad because the game itself was a pale imitation of The Sims. They aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

And now, they're screwing up the very game that made all the 'Sim' franchises possible. I guarantee this will be the last Simcity title ever. It's done with if they go through with this plan.

Waaah waaah. The last real SimCity title was over 9 years ago, and that SimCity Societies shit doesn't count. SimCity is already "done with", they are trying to find a way to bring it back.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

39. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 13:17 Verno

Drezden wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 13:06:
I unfortunately can't entirely argue with their methods when so many people do pirate games.

Well that speaks to your own problems, not others. Granting their methodology in the face of actual logic and history doesn't make much sense. The industry can't just play the piracy bogeyman whenever it pleases and expect people to quietly put up with it.

It would be a whole other thing if they made you be connected just to play and that was it. But they piggybacked a lot of features onto being connected to make it less of a kick in the balls. And people want to give them grief for that. At least that is how I look at it.

Fair enough but I don't agree. People want to give them grief for removing functionality and not really offsetting it with something. Introducing arbitrary functionality for the sake of doing so is kind of silly and it starts the whole business vs design argument, hence people being upset. They could have preserved the series long established offline functionality easily enough without impacting any (supposedly) genuine efforts for improving MP features.

Also Antdude makes an interesting and valid point about their "online efforts" with this franchise by the way.

38. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 13:08 Antdude

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:46:
Drezden wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:37:
This one is.

Wait, let me guess, if they changed the name to World of Simcity, you guys would be fine with it.

I doubt you even fully thought that through. If World of Simcity were an entirely separate product then yes it would be ok, people tolerate offshoots all the time.

Remember how much we loved The Sims? Great game, lots of content, endless options. We traded stories about our sims, downloaded new houses and other stuff, and made it a huge smash.

Then EA introduced The Sims Online. And it was awful. Everyone hated it. It bombed and disappeared without a trace. EA screwed up the fundamental concepts everyone loved about The Sims and took away most of the features that we loved about the first game. Making it 'connected' didn't satisfy anyone.

And now, they're screwing up the very game that made all the 'Sim' franchises possible. I guarantee this will be the last Simcity title ever. It's done with if they go through with this plan.

Eff you, EA. With no butter.

37. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 13:06 Trevellian

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:55:
The way things are headed is subject to change all the time and it doesn't mean we throw away everything for the sake of doing so. It also doesn't mean consumers should accept dubious reasoning for every little thing the industry wants to do to supplement its bottom line. There is a very easy middle of the road solution that was skipped for the sake of platform control.

I unfortunately can't entirely argue with their methods when so many people do pirate games. Granted there are many factors like shoddy ports that have contributed to this. But game companies have also been making less money thanks to companies like Gamestop. It's definitely a vicious circle, which I honestly blame on the used game industry.

They lose money, that they can't put towards producing better games and having to take the safe route by only doing sequels on known IP's and not being able to take chances anymore. These games continue to lose quality because of it. Game prices get higher in the form of more and more DLC just to try and keep people from reselling games.

The only option they're really left with is the constant internet connection to keep people from pirating it at this point and even that doesn't always work and gets cracked.

Pretty much I blame Gamestop for everything.

But I'm not going to let something like a persistant internet connection stop me from playing SimCity when they're actually making that connection DO something. Instead of it just being a fuck you.

It would be a whole other thing if they made you be connected just to play and that was it. But they piggybacked a lot of features onto being connected to make it less of a kick in the balls. And people want to give them grief for that. At least that is how I look at it.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

36. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 12:55 Verno

Quboid wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:51:
Does this have to be to do with piracy? I suspect they're doing a (probably somewhat ham-fisted) social thing, tying it in with Facebook and Twitter, as well as the economy stuff.

I've no problem with any of this and it seems odd that games wouldn't use internet features these days. However, requiring internet access for something that is a fundamentally solo experience is dumb. I've no problem with my Blu-Ray software grabbing info about the film I'm watching, but I'd be pissed off if I couldn't watch a film because my 'net access was down.

I don't think anyone really has a problem with internet related functionality. It's the persistent internet connection that's problematic IMO. I agree with your example as well.

How about instead, you all move forward with the times, and realize most games are going to be online in the future. It's where things are headed.

I said separate product, not just "change the name" which is silly hyperbole. The way things are headed is subject to change all the time and it doesn't mean we throw away everything for the sake of doing so. It also doesn't mean consumers should accept dubious reasoning for every little thing the industry wants to do to supplement its bottom line. There is a very easy middle of the road solution that was skipped for the sake of platform control.

Finally, no one said "its your problem". You're the one dismissing other peoples concerns when you've admitted it doesn't even affect you. Persistent connection gets you no benefit for that matter either.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2012, 13:01.

35. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 12:53 Trevellian

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:46:
This one is.

Wait, let me guess, if they changed the name to World of Simcity, you guys would be fine with it.

I doubt you even fully thought that through. If World of Simcity were an entirely separate product then yes it would be ok, people tolerate offshoots all the time.

People are allowed to complain when they introduce arbitrary features for business purposes that affect other aspects of the product. Just because you're resigned to merging SP/MP doesn't mean everyone else has to be. I don't really see an offset in price, convenience or other factors to offset this a bit for the consumer either.

And since I'm sure the inevitable response will be "dont buy it then", of course not.

Actually that is not my inevitable response.
I was just paralleling it to Diablo 3. Which everyone has a problem with. Unless they call it World of Diablo.

I think it's the most ridiculous concept I have ever heard.
"Change the name and it's okay"

How about instead, you all move forward with the times, and realize most games are going to be online in the future. It's where things are headed.

I'm sorry for people who live in the middle of nowhere but it's also not my problem.

For the Republic

34. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 12:52 jacobvandy

gilly775 wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 11:21:
InBlack wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 10:32:

In any case, its a no buy from me anyway for two reasons. First Origin, second EA.

Umm, did you see the comment on the article saying it would be on other digital distributors besides Origin?

Just because you can buy it elsewhere, that doesn't mean you won't still need to activate it through and run it while connected to Origin. Like a lot of games are Steamworks games and do the same thing with that service, just about all of EA's new titles are "Originworks" games.

33. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 12:51 Quboid

Does this have to be to do with piracy? I suspect they're doing a (probably somewhat ham-fisted) social thing, tying it in with Facebook and Twitter, as well as the economy stuff.

I've no problem with any of this and it seems odd that games wouldn't use internet features these days. However, requiring internet access for something that is a fundamentally solo experience is dumb. I've no problem with my Blu-Ray software grabbing info about the film I'm watching, but I'd be pissed off if I couldn't watch a film because my 'net access was down.

- Quboid

32. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 12:46 Verno

This one is.

People are allowed to complain when they introduce arbitrary features for business purposes that affect other aspects of the product. Just because you're resigned to merging SP/MP doesn't mean everyone else has to be. I don't really see an offset in price, convenience or other factors to offset this a bit for the consumer either. There is no legitimate reason that this should require a persistent connection.

And since I'm sure the inevitable response will be "dont buy it then", of course not.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2012, 12:52.

31. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 12:37 Trevellian

Verno wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:34:
Drezden wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:32:
Oh no I have to have an internet connection to play games with internet features!

SimCity games are all about internet features after all Rolleyes

This one is.

For the Republic

30. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 12:34 Verno

Drezden wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:32:
Oh no I have to have an internet connection to play games with internet features!

SimCity games are all about internet features after all Rolleyes

29. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 12:32 Trevellian

For the Republic

28. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 12:29 JayDeath

PHJF wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 11:58:
EA is absolutely, positively, undeniably bent on making me find a new hobby.

I have to agree. If this is the future of PC gaming, I might be done with it. I wanted this game too but I refuse to support this crap.

Steam: BenRichards

Shadow of Mordor is wonderful.

27. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 12:12 eRe4s3r

What is this Sim City remake you are talking about? Clearly you are mistaken, there is no such thing... I will just forget this ever existed.. there.. done.. what was I writing...  

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo