Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New SimCity Only Playable Online

The upcoming continuation of the SimCity series will require a constant internet connection to play, reports Joystiq. They have confirmed that the game will be sold through digital distributors other than Origin, but lead designer Stone Librande tells them players will need to be connected to EA's online service to play, even in single-player. Word is: "The always-on connection becomes necessary with the game's emphasis on multiplayer and regional impact, and the use of a global economy that all players can influence."

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

66. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 18:47 creatorswhim

TurdFergasun wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 18:20:
can't wait for the razor1911 version, it should be full of forward thinking innovations like unfucking the game to the point of it being playable.

msg to EA: i am going to steal this game because of this move, i don't even give a shit about the game really at this point i'm sure the rest of the game will be full of shit like this as well. simcity 4 is just fine for me. not pirating is not even an option at this point, because if you don't they'll think this megalomaniacal BS is working. infact i'm going to wardrive continuously upon release and download as many copies as i can, while installing it zero times, just so you can share in some of the fucking you're so willing to hand out to your paying customer base. hope you enjoy tracking down all the spoof'd IP's i hand your shady tracking systems. DIAF.

Why bother? just treat anything EA makes as poison from now on, and you'll still have too many games to play in one lifetime.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

65. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 18:20 TurdFergasun

can't wait for the razor1911 version, it should be full of forward thinking innovations like unfucking the game to the point of it being playable.

msg to EA: i am going to steal this game because of this move, i don't even give a shit about the game really at this point i'm sure the rest of the game will be full of shit like this as well. simcity 4 is just fine for me. not pirating is not even an option at this point, because if you don't they'll think this megalomaniacal BS is working. infact i'm going to wardrive continuously upon release and download as many copies as i can, while installing it zero times, just so you can share in some of the fucking you're so willing to hand out to your paying customer base. hope you enjoy tracking down all the spoof'd IP's i hand your shady tracking systems. DIAF.

64. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 17:04 Verno

ViRGE wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 16:17:
Well that sucks. If it's online-only, how are we supposed to cheat? Cheating your way to a large city and then trying to burn it down (or flood it, or Godzilla it, etc) is the quintessential SimCity experience.

You can't cheat anymore because then Johnny McPlayer can't get his virtual life affirmation in the form of achievements.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

63. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 16:50 Tanto Edge

Uhh.. wow, guess I'll be getting more mileage out of SC4 then I initially assumed.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

62. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 16:17 ViRGE

Well that sucks. If it's online-only, how are we supposed to cheat? Cheating your way to a large city and then trying to burn it down (or flood it, or Godzilla it, etc) is the quintessential SimCity experience.  

61. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 15:13 SpectralMeat

gilly775 wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 15:00:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 14:25:
gilly775 wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 14:22:
Well, that's what I get for not clicking on the link to the article!
You didn't have to, just read the text Blue posted above

Yeah, I missed that part. I saw Online all the time and other digital distributors and everything else went out the door.

Steam: SpectralMeat

60. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 15:13 Quboid

deqer wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 15:01:
Quboid wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 14:52:
What do you mean, "did we ask"? First, yes, I did.
Good for YOU.

No, WE did not.

Secondly, that's not how it works, we don't dictate a game's features.
Oh really? Let the company do whatever they want and we just eat it up regardless? Okay, fanboi.

So who is this "we"? It can't be gamers, or PC gamers, because I'm a member of those brackets.

I didn't say we "just eat it up", save your strawman bullshit for someone else. We don't dictate the features, we dictate whether or not the final product is a financial success. Don't make up convenient arguments and then call other people fan-boys because making up convenient arguments is the mark of a fan-boy.

- Quboid

59. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 15:01 deqer

Quboid wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 14:52:
What do you mean, "did we ask"? First, yes, I did.
Good for YOU.

No, WE did not.

Secondly, that's not how it works, we don't dictate a game's features.
Oh really? Let the company do whatever they want and we just eat it up regardless? Okay, fanboi.

58. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 15:00 gilly775

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 14:25:

Yeah, I missed that part. I saw Online all the time and other digital distributors and everything else went out the door.

57. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 14:52 Quboid

deqer wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 13:26:
You fanboi mofos better stop supporting EA. If you buying/playing this, then your face needs a beating.

"The always-on connection becomes necessary with the game's emphasis on multiplayer and regional impact, and the use of a global economy that all players can influence."

What the fuck? Did we ask for a new Sim City game? Did we ask for a global economy-based Sim City game that interacts with other cities, and shit?

No. We just like Sim City, the same Sim City should be.

So, screw you EA. I'm going back to playing Sim City for SNES on emulator.

What do you mean, "did we ask"? First, yes, I did. Secondly, that's not how it works, we don't dictate a game's features. If you want Sim City exactly as it was, go play it exactly as it was on your SNES emulator - they're not losing a customer no matter what they do.

- Quboid

56. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 14:37 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 11:18:
I'm really wondering about this decision. Leaving aside the "EA is evil" debate for a moment, who thought this would be a good idea?

EA.

is evil...

Sorry, my fingers just typed it automatically. It's muscle memory.

Creston

55. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 14:34 Creston

Well, scratch that game off my list.

Creston

54. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 14:33 Verno

We've all been guilty of it from time to time

53. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 14:28 Tumbler

Well that's too bad. I thought this was going to be worth buying, sadly not. Maybe they'll update that Anno 2070 game and remove that and put it on sale on steam around the time this comes out. Seems like plenty of games coming out lately that have features that could be removed and sold later so it's easy to pass on crap like this today and pick it up clearance later.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

52. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 14:25 SpectralMeat

51. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 14:22 gilly775

50. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 14:11 Verno

And you know that for a fact? I have some games that connect to Origin and other distribution services and since I use Steam, they run fine despite the fact I don't have Origin installed.

It's literally text in the linked article.

Who knows what other services MS has in the background that are tracking you

Also this is amusing because Microsoft has been caught tracking some forms of user behavior without consent (both in the PC and mobile markets) in the past so it's not like that's outside the realm of possibility or something.

49. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 14:07 Cutter

And THIS is what happens when you fuckers tell people like Blizzard that online DRM is ok because you're going to buy their game. You can't pick and choose. You need to send a message. And you can only do that by boycoting them all untill they learn or go out of business.

Ubisoft has almost learned their lesson here. Yet, if they see good sales here and Diablo 3, etc. then they jump back on board and so does everyone else as it becomes the new standard.

I dunno man, it's sad to think I'm getting close to the end of my gaming days and all because of this sort of corporate greed and consumer stupidity. This pretty leaves a handful of indies and kickstarted projects as our last hope.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

48. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 13:59 SpectralMeat

gilly775 wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 13:50:
And you know that for a fact? I have some games that connect to Origin and other distribution services and since I use Steam, they run fine despite the fact I don't have Origin installed.

Take the tinfoil hat off. Who knows what other services MS has in the background that are tracking you
I guess you've missed this comment earlier in this thread :

ASeven wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 10:54:
Uh no...

From here:

EA Maxis has confirmed to SimCity will be sold on digital distribution platforms other than Origin, but the game will still require players to be logged in to EAs service while playing. It has also said there wont be mod support for the game, at least at launch.

47. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 13:50 gilly775

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:52:
gilly775 wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 11:21:
InBlack wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 10:32:

In any case, its a no buy from me anyway for two reasons. First Origin, second EA.

Umm, did you see the comment on the article saying it would be on other digital distributors besides Origin?

Just because you can buy it elsewhere, that doesn't mean you won't still need to activate it through and run it while connected to Origin. Like a lot of games are Steamworks games and do the same thing with that service, just about all of EA's new titles are "Originworks" games.

Take the tinfoil hat off. Who knows what other services MS has in the background that are tracking you

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo