Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well my visit to Doctor Toothy got forestalled yesterday, as my car decided it didn't want to start. I kind of have myself to blame for relying on a battered 12-year old sports car with 110k miles on it, but it has never stranded me before, so I guess that can be forgiven. I'm rescheduled for next week, so I'll have to figure out what's up with the car between now and then.

Forestalled Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Kill the Heroes.
Ruder.
Links: Popular Games Viewed From a Different Perspective.
Stories: How Does America’s Tallest Man Buy Shoes? Thanks nin.
Gary Oldman 'thought he had lost' Batman film script.
Science: Robot Records Fish Farts. Thanks Neatorama.
Popcorn: The snack with even higher antioxidants levels than fruits and vegetables. Thanks TDW Geeks.
Media: Alternate Mad Men Intros.
Tenacious D - To Be The Best.
Follow-up: Earth heated up in medieval times without human CO2 emissions. Thanks Roger.

View
11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 15:09 Ratty

Rossafur wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 14:16:
A couple quick thoughts about the human CO2 emissions article:

1. As one commenter pointed out, the argument is akin to saying that since people killed each other before guns were invented, guns couldn't also be used to kill people.

2. The Daily Mail is *not* a super reliable source.

3. "The research was recently published online in the journal Earth And Planetary Science Letters and will appear in print on ****April 1****." [emphasis mine]

This is a pretty big deal. Though the Daily Mail isn't the most unbiased source they do point to a reputable journal.

Man-made global warming deniers always point to Europe's little ice age and the warming trend that preceded it. And supporters always rebut this by pointing out it only took place in Europe and is irrelevant for the discussion of global warming. If this research bears out, it's a huge blow to supporters' theories. A couple of other points still stand though: The warming trend in question was far, far less in magnitude than what we're seeing today and it is believed to have happened during a solar maximum, again, unlike today. So it's still not a total disproof but a significant blow nevertheless.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Mar 28, 11:57 Re: Out of the Blue HumanTarget
  2. Mar 28, 12:08  Re: Out of the Blue  Blue 
  3. Mar 28, 13:13   Re: Out of the Blue nin
  5. Mar 28, 14:18   Re: Out of the Blue Cutter
  7. Mar 28, 14:31    Re: Out of the Blue nin
  8. Mar 28, 14:56     Re: Out of the Blue Cutter
  17. Mar 29, 19:51   Re: Out of the Blue Ant
  4. Mar 28, 14:16 Re: Out of the Blue Rossafur
  10. Mar 28, 15:02  Re: Out of the Blue Mashiki Amiketo
>> 11. Mar 28, 15:09  Re: Out of the Blue Ratty