Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well my visit to Doctor Toothy got forestalled yesterday, as my car decided it didn't want to start. I kind of have myself to blame for relying on a battered 12-year old sports car with 110k miles on it, but it has never stranded me before, so I guess that can be forgiven. I'm rescheduled for next week, so I'll have to figure out what's up with the car between now and then.

Forestalled Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Kill the Heroes.
Ruder.
Links: Popular Games Viewed From a Different Perspective.
Stories: How Does America’s Tallest Man Buy Shoes? Thanks nin.
Gary Oldman 'thought he had lost' Batman film script.
Science: Robot Records Fish Farts. Thanks Neatorama.
Popcorn: The snack with even higher antioxidants levels than fruits and vegetables. Thanks TDW Geeks.
Media: Alternate Mad Men Intros.
Tenacious D - To Be The Best.
Follow-up: Earth heated up in medieval times without human CO2 emissions. Thanks Roger.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2012, 19:51 Ant

Blue wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 12:08:
HumanTarget wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 11:57:
I don't recall you ever mentioning the make/model before but you could always solicit recommendations of what to check. :-)

Does it crank at least?

Well, it's not too big a mystery. It's an '01 Corvette and it seems like my column lock bypass may be failing, because I get a "service column lock" message, and a request to remove the key and wait 10 seconds, but that does not clear the message. The battery is low and needed a jump to start, but it kept stalling after displaying that message, and eventually exhausted my jumper box from restarting.

It's a convertible that lives outside and the electricals are a little flaky from exposure to the elements: I have a good local mechanic, and besides straightening this issue out, I think I need to ask him to see if he can track down a short, since he can actually be trusted to do that and A) properly diagnose the problem, and B) not rob me blind.
No more pickup truck?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2012, 02:19 mag

jdreyer wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 17:46:
Rossafur wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 14:16:
A couple quick thoughts about the human CO2 emissions article:

1. As one commenter pointed out, the argument is akin to saying that since people killed each other before guns were invented, guns couldn't also be used to kill people.

2. The Daily Mail is *not* a super reliable source.

3. "The research was recently published online in the journal Earth And Planetary Science Letters and will appear in print on ****April 1****." [emphasis mine]

Heh, well it's probably not a joke, but, yeah, there's a huge logical fallacy here. Of course global warming can occur on its own, through vulcanism or solar activity or some combination. Does that mean we're NOT causing it artificially by burning billions of tons of hydrocarbon fuel? Of course not. Burning that much fuel and increasing the CO2 PPM could ALSO cause global warming, and the bulk of evidence suggests that it is.

Regardless of all that, we should be reducing our reliance on hydrocarbons. Coal pollution causes more illness and death than any other energy source. Oil is a huge security risk given that most of it comes from countries whose populations hate us. The natural gas boom is created by fracking, which is causing earthquakes and polluting drinking water in locations it's being extracted (although it's by far the cleanest, lowest impact hydrocarbon).

Jesus burned oil in his raptormobile, and you're a Godless communist fascist heathen for saying that we should use something other than it.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 17:46 jdreyer

1. As one commenter pointed out, the argument is akin to saying that since people killed each other before guns were invented, guns couldn't also be used to kill people.

3. "The research was recently published online in the journal Earth And Planetary Science Letters and will appear in print on ****April 1****." [emphasis mine]

Heh, well it's probably not a joke, but, yeah, there's a huge logical fallacy here. Of course global warming can occur on its own, through vulcanism or solar activity or some combination. Does that mean we're NOT causing it artificially by burning billions of tons of hydrocarbon fuel? Of course not. Burning that much fuel and increasing the CO2 PPM could ALSO cause global warming, and the bulk of evidence suggests that it is.

Regardless of all that, we should be reducing our reliance on hydrocarbons. Coal pollution causes more illness and death than any other energy source. Oil is a huge security risk given that most of it comes from countries whose populations hate us. The natural gas boom is created by fracking, which is causing earthquakes and polluting drinking water in locations it's being extracted (although it's by far the cleanest, lowest impact hydrocarbon).

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 16:13 Verno

Cutter wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 15:02:
So no preorder GW2 on Steam or other digital services. And in Canada apparently EBGames has the exclusive on it. So the want me to go to a store I hate and support them as well as pay an additional 13% in taxes that I don't pay online? Oh yeah, and htf are you supposed to have a 3 day head start if don't even get your copy till launch day? Fucking NCSoft. It's wonder those clowns are still in business. Looks like I won't be playing GW2 afterall. Jesus they've really dropped the ball on this one.

Wow that's really silly. They are killing a lot of hard earned PR with gamers doing stuff like that. GW1 sold well but not CoD well, I doubt their target market isn't so casual that they will just buy it no matter what.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 15:41 Stormsinger

Ratty wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 15:09:

This is a pretty big deal. Though the Daily Mail isn't the most unbiased source they do point to a reputable journal.

Man-made global warming deniers always point to Europe's little ice age and the warming trend that preceded it. And supporters always rebut this by pointing out it only took place in Europe and is irrelevant for the discussion of global warming. If this research bears out, it's a huge blow to supporters' theories. A couple of other points still stand though: The warming trend in question was far, far less in magnitude than what we're seeing today and it is believed to have happened during a solar maximum, again, unlike today. So it's still not a total disproof but a significant blow nevertheless.

Not a big deal at all, it's just more "climategate" crap getting blown up out of proportion by the carbon industry's sockpuppets. For exactly the reasons you state...the medieval warming was far smaller, and during a solar maximum. IOW, this "new" study really changes nothing.

I think Rossafur put it best in his point #1.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 15:40 briktal

Cutter wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 15:02:
So no preorder GW2 on Steam or other digital services. And in Canada apparently EBGames has the exclusive on it. So the want me to go to a store I hate and support them as well as pay an additional 13% in taxes that I don't pay online? Oh yeah, and htf are you supposed to have a 3 day head start if don't even get your copy till launch day? Fucking NCSoft. It's wonder those clowns are still in business. Looks like I won't be playing GW2 afterall. Jesus they've really dropped the ball on this one.

I really don't know how they managed to make buying their game so complicated. But as far as the head start goes, they'll probably do it like every other company does, where you get a code when you preorder--no wait, "prepurchase"--and apply it to your account, then when you get the box, you put in the retail code.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 15:09 Ratty

This is a pretty big deal. Though the Daily Mail isn't the most unbiased source they do point to a reputable journal.

Man-made global warming deniers always point to Europe's little ice age and the warming trend that preceded it. And supporters always rebut this by pointing out it only took place in Europe and is irrelevant for the discussion of global warming. If this research bears out, it's a huge blow to supporters' theories. A couple of other points still stand though: The warming trend in question was far, far less in magnitude than what we're seeing today and it is believed to have happened during a solar maximum, again, unlike today. So it's still not a total disproof but a significant blow nevertheless.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 15:02 Mashiki Amiketo

That's nice. But you can read the paper yourself whenever you want here. Whatever you think about the DM, this is a fully peered paper, and the paper itself backs up the statements on it's own. MWP = worldwide event.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 15:02 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 14:56 Cutter

nin wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 14:31:
Cutter wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 14:18:
That's so odd. I don't picture you as a corvette guy. Anyway, is it little and red?

Perhaps he moonlights in a Prince tribute band. Cause that would be awesome...

Effing LOL!

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 14:31 nin

Cutter wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 14:18:
That's so odd. I don't picture you as a corvette guy. Anyway, is it little and red?

Perhaps he moonlights in a Prince tribute band. Cause that would be awesome...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 14:23 Hoop

"Robot records fish farts" Finally, individually tailored links.  

Um .. Behind you...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 14:18 Cutter

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 14:16 Rossafur

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 13:13 nin

I think at this point, your dentist stories are eclipsing your coffee stories.

In all seriousness, I hope it doesn't hurt.

(Also, a dog story would be awesome. )

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 12:08  Blue 

HumanTarget wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 11:57:
I don't recall you ever mentioning the make/model before but you could always solicit recommendations of what to check. :-)

Does it crank at least?

Well, it's not too big a mystery. It's an '01 Corvette and it seems like my column lock bypass may be failing, because I get a "service column lock" message, and a request to remove the key and wait 10 seconds, but that does not clear the message. The battery is low and needed a jump to start, but it kept stalling after displaying that message, and eventually exhausted my jumper box from restarting.

It's a convertible that lives outside and the electricals are a little flaky from exposure to the elements: I have a good local mechanic, and besides straightening this issue out, I think I need to ask him to see if he can track down a short, since he can actually be trusted to do that and A) properly diagnose the problem, and B) not rob me blind.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 11:57 HumanTarget

Does it crank at least?

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo