Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com

GOG.com announces they are dropping the Good Old Games designation for their digital distribution service to better reflect their plans to offer more recent titles on their DRM-free marketplace. Here's a bit on what this means:

Don’t worry, no matter how new we’re getting, GOG.com will always stick to our three core values: No DRM, Fair Pricing, and Love for our GOG-ers. Newer means simply newer games, whether they’re big, recognized names, indie games, day-one releases, or pre-orders. Pre-order for Legend of Grimrock for only $11.99 today, or pick up Trine and The Whispered World right now; Spacechem, Machinarium, and Darwinia are coming soon. We have more than 20 great indie and newer games signed on GOG.com that will be showing up in the next few months.. These games lead the way on our the transition from Good Old Games to simply GOG.com. It doesn’t matter what G, O, and G stand for, Gee Oh Gee dot com stands for high-quality, DRM-free gaming, each week with bigger and newer games.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

14. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 13:57 Creston

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 12:52:
I would give GOG $1,000 right now, if they could aquire Commodore Amiga game licences and sell them as PC Emulated ones.

Paradroid!!!!

(With how difficult and unforgiving that game is, I'm pretty sure I'd play it for ten minutes before giving up in disgust...)

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 13:46 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 13:31:
Meh... Good for them and all that, but DRM-free isn't enough for me to buy from them instead of Steam. The good, old games that weren't available anywhere else were the reason I gave them my money, so unless they can seriously compete on pricing, I'm not interested in their new releases.

Like Legend of Grimrock -- if that was a GOG.com exclusive, I'd buy it, but it's going to be on Steam any day now. Hell, you can buy a Steam key straight from the developer for the same price!

It's all potential price competition man, the more the merrier. I wouldn't be surprised if the Steam preorder was a bit more. I would even use Origin if they could get their act together on improving the client and community features. I love Steam as much as the next guy but I love my money more.

Anyway kudos to GOG for expanding their market a bit while retaining the old stuff we often can't get anywhere else.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

12. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 13:41 Zarkonis

Now if they'd only get MechWarrior 2 there, I'd but it in a second.  
Slow and steady might not win the race at first, until you shoot everyone ahead of you.

11. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 13:36 Krovven

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 13:31:
Meh... Good for them and all that, but DRM-free isn't enough for me to buy from them instead of Steam. The good, old games that weren't available anywhere else were the reason I gave them my money, so unless they can seriously compete on pricing, I'm not interested in their new releases. Like Legend of Grimrock -- if that was a GOG.com exclusive, I'd buy it, but it's going to be on Steam any day now (plus it's available DRM-free straight from the developer anyway).

And if you pre-order directly from the developer they give you a Steam key anyways.

10. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 13:31 jacobvandy

Meh... Good for them and all that, but DRM-free isn't enough for me to buy from them instead of Steam. The good, old games that weren't available anywhere else were the reason I gave them my money, so unless they can seriously compete on pricing, I'm not interested in their new releases.

Like Legend of Grimrock -- if that was a GOG.com exclusive, I'd buy it, but it's going to be on Steam any day now. Hell, you can buy a Steam key straight from the developer for the same price!

9. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 13:05 javajeff

How about Good Ole Games?  

8. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 12:52 Optional nickname

I would give GOG $1,000 right now, if they could aquire Commodore Amiga game licences and sell them as PC Emulated ones.  

7. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 12:46 Cutter

Great googly moogly!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

6. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 12:36 Kajetan

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 12:04:
I thought the whole point of GOG was making old games run on Windows 7 and then selling the package for cheap.
They still do that. They will keep on doing that in the future.

5. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 12:18 nin

Creston wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 12:01:
At least they didn't pretend to shut down again.

My first thought also, especially seeing the first words as "Don't worry"...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 12:04 Silicon Avatar

I thought the whole point of GOG was making old games run on Windows 7 and then selling the package for cheap.

3. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 12:01 Creston

At least they didn't pretend to shut down again.

Creston

2. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 11:46 Ratty

Hey, Darwinia! I haven't though about that game in a while. I might just fire it up again.  

1. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 11:25 theyarecomingforyou

This was inevitable as soon as they became popular enough.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo