Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN

The TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Page offers a few changes from when this fundraising proposal launched earlier this month for a "Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter." There's an article on Kotaku explaining what's different (as we have entered an era when even crowdsourcing gets rebooted), regretting their failures at conveying why gamers should be excited about this project and picking a name that "SUCKED." In addition to the new title, the site offers new art and other resources to attempt to convey what to expect. Word is: "Will we be successful? Time will tell. We'll write a postmortem for other game developers to learn from, so no matter what we hope to make the landscape better for others. But no one will be able to say we gave up."

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

15. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 27, 2012, 08:37 Verno

NKD wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 08:30:
This whole "Lets kick out the publishers and do everything via crowdsourcing" shtick is going to get a lot of people burned as these things get funded and then go tits up or end up being terrible.

Those things happen in the traditional publisher segment all the damned time, I'm not really seeing much of a difference. I'd rather get the odd indie flop if it means getting more creative efforts.

Aren't TOR servers emptying out btw?

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 27, 2012, 08:30 NKD

This whole "Lets kick out the publishers and do everything via crowdsourcing" shtick is going to get a lot of people burned as these things get funded and then go tits up or end up being terrible.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

13. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 27, 2012, 07:53 Donkey_Punch

This project had failure all over it from the beginning. This Christian Allen guy put absolutely no effort into gaining backer's trust until the very end. Too little too late.

The guy has absolutely zero sense about marketing. His resume may be good but he made a lot of stupid choices for this Kickstarter.

He isn't the right guy to make this game. IMHO he isn't smart enough.

12. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 27, 2012, 06:15 NamecaF

nin wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 01:49:
Sounds like they want 200k to do a demo in hopes of securing funding.

That's pretty much it exactly...

Actually a demo has got nothing to do with it. The $200k is to show the investors that there is genuine interest from gamers that this kind of game is something that they want.

The investors will then pony up the rest of the cash to begin development on the game, with an Alpha to be released to those who contributed to the Kickstarter campaign as a thank you.

The contribution (even only $15) also entitles you to the full game when it is complete. Nowhere is there any mention of a demo.

11. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 27, 2012, 01:49 nin

Sounds like they want 200k to do a demo in hopes of securing funding.

That's pretty much it exactly...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 27, 2012, 01:47 Cutter

Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 22:08:
nin wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 21:57:
I don't see any mention of that (did a search)

From the kickstarter's page:

What will the $200,000 be used for?

$200,000 will bring TAKEDOWN to Alpha. Private investors are lined up, but unsure of the market for an old-school tac shooter. A successful Kickstarter campaign will convince them that this is a viable market. Along with their investment, pre-sales of the game (A $15 Kickstarter pledge is a significant discount on the final game price) will also contribute to completion of the project. Kickstarters will have access to a closed Alpha.

That's ridiculous. They want to crowdsource an AAA game? If that's the case the should be talking to a publisher because they're going to need a hell of a lot more money to produce that sort of game. Sounds like they want 200k to do a demo in hopes of securing funding. So money would be wasted on these clowns. Stay far away from them.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 26, 2012, 23:25 Techie714

I want to see this succeed...  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

8. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 26, 2012, 23:21 Kabuto

I went ahead and kicked in $15.00. I would need more information about these investors and what their actual commitment is before I would be willing to up my contribution.  

7. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 26, 2012, 22:36 Teddy

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 20:25:
Unfortunately this looks like it's too little too late, but at least they're learning their lesson. "Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter" was a horrific name. The slick fancy branding and pretty pictures might've helped them gain more momentum early on. Then again those pictures look pretty crummy to me. I'm still 100% behind the idea of the game, though, and it's a shame that this project, at least, isn't looking like it'll see the light of day. There's always Ground Branch, I guess, which has been in development forever but which still seems to be going along.

My understanding of the situation is that he plans to put up another Kickstarter project with the additional information, title, and concept art when this one inevitably fails. Have a feeling he's shot himself in the foot by not being sufficiently prepared the first time around. News sites may be less likely to pay attention to a second attempt at the same thing (or at least not as MUCH attention) and people who upped for the first one may take a wait and see with the second.

6. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 26, 2012, 22:08 Dmitri_M

nin wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 21:57:
I don't see any mention of that (did a search)

From the kickstarter's page:

What will the $200,000 be used for?

$200,000 will bring TAKEDOWN to Alpha. Private investors are lined up, but unsure of the market for an old-school tac shooter. A successful Kickstarter campaign will convince them that this is a viable market. Along with their investment, pre-sales of the game (A $15 Kickstarter pledge is a significant discount on the final game price) will also contribute to completion of the project. Kickstarters will have access to a closed Alpha.

5. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 26, 2012, 21:57 nin

ASeven wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 21:49:
Is he still planning on using the money to build something to show publishers or has he come to his senses and will actually do the game for the funders?

I don't see any mention of that (did a search), but I wondered that as well. To me, that made a slim chance almost impossible: You get 200K in funding, and then go to a publisher and tell them "oh, BTW, we already owe all these people that contributed a copy, so they won't count towards sales."

Doh?

I still think his biggest problem is there's simply not enough interest in the type of game he wants to make.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 26, 2012, 21:49 ASeven

Is he still planning on using the money to build something to show publishers or has he come to his senses and will actually do the game for the funders?  

3. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 26, 2012, 21:04 Spektr

For sure a horrific placeholder name of a project but Takedown strikes me as terribly plain. Kinda sound like the name of a cheap budget shooter one won't give a second look at.  

2. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 26, 2012, 20:33 Dmitri_M

According the Ground Branch forums Sonedecker did at least 'talk' to the guys on the kickstarter. I think he's too invested in his own vision to allow it to be taken over and seems ok with slowly plodding along on GB's development (although he works fulltime on actual military grade tactical shooters..so GB development is probably a secondary concern). It's a shame because GB has actual art resources created, it's way beyond the concepts in the kickstarter project.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2012, 20:39.

1. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 26, 2012, 20:25 TychoCelchuuu

Unfortunately this looks like it's too little too late, but at least they're learning their lesson. "Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter" was a horrific name. The slick fancy branding and pretty pictures might've helped them gain more momentum early on. Then again those pictures look pretty crummy to me. I'm still 100% behind the idea of the game, though, and it's a shame that this project, at least, isn't looking like it'll see the light of day. There's always Ground Branch, I guess, which has been in development forever but which still seems to be going along.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2012, 20:54.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo