Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 27, 2012, 04:17 rocketpcguy

yeah, i use linux on my work laptop/desktop also, and windows for gaming; its a fine OS and does things well; using linux mint for many years now.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 27, 2012, 02:31 Beelzebud

mag wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 21:02:
Why Linux on the Desktop Is Dead.

Are we still having this conversation? Use whatever helps you best to do what you need to do.

I use Linux on my laptop--this is the machine I use for most of my 'work'. I run XP in a VM on it when I need to use MS Office or something. For most of the things that I need to do, Windows is a terrible chore to use.

On my desktop I run Win7, because it's pretty comfortable for gaming and web-surfing. When I do work on it, it's usually in a Linux VM.

Use whatever you want, as long as it's not OS X.

It really does get old reading BS articles like that. They've been around since Linux has been around. You can tell the guy that wrote that had trouble with it, gave up, and decided if he couldn't use it no one else could either.

The Linux desktop is never going to overtake Windows, but to call it dead, when there are more Linux desktop users, and more people making desktop software for it, than at any time in its history is a bit ridiculous.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 23:15 Lord Tea

quote HardOCP:

We can't help but feel that Mass Effect 3 has suffered a serious case of the "consolitis." From the anemic menu system, to the clumsy controls and the shockingly sparse in-game graphics menu, and even to the utter lack of support for graphics features more advanced than those found in Windows XP, there is simply nothing about this game to speak to any manner of PC gaming heritage. PC gaming is something that BioWare has been known for. Its reputation and prestige among PC gamers has been slipping lately, most obviously starting with Dragon Age 2. Perhaps it was a bit naive on our parts, but we really hoped for better with Mass Effect 3. In spite of reception problems with the game's endings, It is a masterwork of science fiction writing and design, but it falls flatly away from what PC gamers want in a game.

The good news is, you won't need to invest much in a video card to play it. The bad news is, there are probably not many PC gamers who will feel that the game's tech is worth upgrading for. The silver lining on that black cloud is that most gamers won't need to upgrade a thing to play it.

I lol'd. No hardcore PC game would get anywhere near that console-turd anyway...

UPSA = United Police States of America

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 21:02 mag

Why Linux on the Desktop Is Dead.

Are we still having this conversation? Use whatever helps you best to do what you need to do.

I use Linux on my laptop--this is the machine I use for most of my 'work'. I run XP in a VM on it when I need to use MS Office or something. For most of the things that I need to do, Windows is a terrible chore to use.

On my desktop I run Win7, because it's pretty comfortable for gaming and web-surfing. When I do work on it, it's usually in a Linux VM.

Use whatever you want, as long as it's not OS X.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo