Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 27, 2012, 00:26 TurdFergasun

holywood is so fucked it costs twice as much to make the effects look like grainy poorly focused shaky shit. i could save them alot of money just by shooting their scenes with my phone, shitty quality will be a "value added service" which is asspeak for doing things for money, which is just like 1984's "newspeak" but it comes from your ass. holywood's full of asspeak, they'll love it, they'll probably eat the words right out of my .....  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 27, 2012, 00:07 xXBatmanXx

Saw Hunger Games Saturday, just solidified why I don't go to the theatre. So hard to enjoy a movie with a group of inconsiderate fucks.

Movie was ok. Almost walked out when the first 15 minutes was all shaky cam. I hate that shit. It was total ADHD ADD movie making. Why do they do that.

The film was ok, but the visuals were very B movie quality. If I wasn't so connected via the book series, I would have probably skipped it. My wife who didn't read the books actually enjoyed the movie. She said she will now read all 3.

For as much money they made from the book series, I would have thought more would have went into making the movie and production. Seemed very low quality in general......almost like it was a movie on A&E or an after school special to be honest....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 20:50 Crustacean Soup

Ventura wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 18:44:
I don't know, there are some movies (Prometheus) that I only want to see in the theater despite having a pretty kickass home theater setup.

I have a kickass setup at home too, and the better it gets, the more I realise that I only continue to go out to the movies because they get them first. If movies I really want to see, like The Avengers, Battleship and Prometheus, came out on Blu Ray on the same day as arriving in cinemas, it would be a very different story.

It used to be about the big screen experience, but these days, it really doesn't cost all that much to be able to have a similar experience at home.

It's not even just that it's at home, the quality you get from even a cheapish home theatre setup is better than at any of the theatres I've been to.

Projectors? Always out-of-focus, out of sync, covered in dust. The best I've seen was one that had an awesome new DLP projector just installed... but since then, it's degraded massively (maybe because they installed a 3D lens adapter on it that they never remove?)

The sound is wretched too. Poorly balanced, way too loud (hearing protection loud, which is just insulting).

As far as I can tell these theatres have good, often new equipment, they're just being run incompetently (few, poorly-trained employees). I'm sure there's well-run theatres somewhere, but I've never seen them.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 19:10 Sugarman

What if you're blind in one eye and are incapable of watching 3d movies.  

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 18:44 Ventura

I don't know, there are some movies (Prometheus) that I only want to see in the theater despite having a pretty kickass home theater setup.

I have a kickass setup at home too, and the better it gets, the more I realise that I only continue to go out to the movies because they get them first. If movies I really want to see, like The Avengers, Battleship and Prometheus, came out on Blu Ray on the same day as arriving in cinemas, it would be a very different story.

It used to be about the big screen experience, but these days, it really doesn't cost all that much to be able to have a similar experience at home.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 18:37 Creston

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 17:19:
I like 3D but it wouldn't bother me much if it went away for awhile so the tech can be improved,

They already tried that. They had from the 80s to a few years back to improve it, and they just came back with the same exact "wear these shitty glasses" crap that they had back then.

Sadly, it seems as if the moviegoing crowds of the 80s were far more aware of the fact that 3D is bullshit than today's Ritalin-poppers are, because it died a swift, rapid death in the 80s. I think it was a total of one summer that 3D shit was shown.

Edit : Alamar beat me to the punch.

Creston

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 17:37 Alamar

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 17:19:
I like 3D but it wouldn't bother me much if it went away for awhile so the tech can be improved, it isn't quite "there" yet for me. In the right hands it can look great (Cameron, Pixar) but overall the weaknesses of the 3D tech stand out too much. Plus the glasses they provide don't always fit well over my regular glasses.

Of course the movie industry will do the exact opposite.

3D tech did go away for what, 20 years, because it wasn't quite 'there' yet...

That's one of the things I find so funny about all the 3D Push... 'Didn't this happen when I was a kid?' : ) Or simply 'again?'

-Alamar

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 17:19 NegaDeath

I like 3D but it wouldn't bother me much if it went away for awhile so the tech can be improved, it isn't quite "there" yet for me. In the right hands it can look great (Cameron, Pixar) but overall the weaknesses of the 3D tech stand out too much. Plus the glasses they provide don't always fit well over my regular glasses.

Of course the movie industry will do the exact opposite.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 15:52 FloorPie

Dear Lord... I had not heard of "twitter seats" before. Its pop up video come to real life.  

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 14:51 m0deth

@Verno

I used to think this way too, until I get there, and the grainy quality, off focused crap, with 14 year old speakers that sound like shit, mixed poorly, broken seats, sticky floors, won't go into the scam that is snacks, and oh yeah, NOW COMPLETE WITH TWITTER SEATS, and SUBSIDIES on shit we don't want!

Yeah fug dat, I'm good, they've completely ruined the theater experience between catering to idiots in their audience and the idiots in control of Hollywood, I'll spend my money elsewhere thanks.

You've pissed me off so much, I no longer believe the word 'blockbuster' exists, it's just marketing hype to drag snot nosed toddlers into paying too much for a bad experience. These folks might as well install vending machines for diapers, that may be more profitable.

I miss the days when Hollywood payed for it's own ideas/tools....can you imagine the reaction if studios 50 years ago wanted to charge more for color movies because Hollywood had to buy new cameras/projectors/film? Now, every time some Hollywood exec farts, he wants a preview tax on the shit storm about to come.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 14:44 Alamar

I don't understand you people that weren't already boycotting theaters for showing commercials (what's it up to now, 4-5?) before the movie....

Crazy talk...

-Alamar

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 13:50 Verno

I don't know, there are some movies (Prometheus) that I only want to see in the theater despite having a pretty kickass home theater setup. It's just a shame that they seem determined to ruin it for those of us on the fence. The rising concession/ticket prices just further ruin the spontaneous social aspect of it.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 13:31 Creston

I already wasn't going to the theater anymore anyway, and this just seals it.

I'm not paying so the ADD crowd can watch your bullshit in 3D. Fuck you, Hollywood.

Creston

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 12:57 Prez

This move is bound to work! (At destroying the cinema business further...)  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 12:56 Cutter

Like any of us need anymore reasons not to go to the theater. I guess they want to go out of business.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 12:26 WyldKat

Guess I'll just stick with Redbox and Netflix then.  

3. Re: ticket prices Mar 26, 2012, 12:04 Verno

Wow, talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 11:58 Panickd

I would be so much happier if they just killed 3D movies altogether. Movies shot in 3D look great but since most aren't you end up with a washed out mess where studios feel the need to add shit deliberately flying at the screen. If that's the best that 3D has to offer just dump it and focus on telling better stories.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 10:59 rist3903

If I were offered a choice between seeing a movie in 3D or in 2D I would take 2D any day of the week. Kind of a moot point, since I will be boycotting theatres because of this bs, I suppose.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo