Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I cooked up some hot dogs and burgers for everyone over the weekend, which worked out well (though I failed at my plan to tempt my older niece, who hates hamburgers, to try a slider). It also became apparent that grill's time has come: one of the legs broke off from rust at spot where a hole for a shelf caused a breach in the leg's powder coating. Several other parts of the grill are shot, including the grill grates and the fire tray, and though replacements for those are readily available, with the framework starting to rot it's time to move on. I continue to contemplate the virtues of a Kamado grill, but as my need for lots of grilling space is the most important consideration which will probably push me back towards another Char-Griller or similar model, though I would do something to prevent a recurrence of this leg rusting incident. The other thing I want to check into are the benefits of these newfangled infrared grills, though those involve propane. Decisions, decisions.

Hot Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Epic Stand.
Madness: Project Nexus.
Links: Militarizing Your Backyard with Python and AI. Thanks Slashdot.
2012's Top 10 Spring Allergy Cities.
Heres How You Should Hold the Steering Wheel.
Stories: Cameron plans to film Avatar sequel 7 miles below the sea. Thanks Slashdot.
I'm Batman... Getting Pulled Over In A Lamborghini. Thanks nin.
Media: I'm Nerdy and I Know It.
Perpetual Motion Bulldog.
Awesome Frisbee Trick Shots.
The Funnies: xkcd: Share Buttons.
ActionTrip Comic Strip: The Life of Max Payne.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2012, 03:12 zirik

Blue wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 20:19:
They don't flip them? I know the holes help steam pass through and sog up the bun, which is apparently part of the appeal (as a big fan of good hamburgers, I'm not a big fan of White Castle). Didn't know they don't flip them either.

yeah. i saw a documentary on white castle and they mentioned the reason for the holes was to save time by not having to flip the patties.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2012, 01:50 Hoop

nin wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 18:32:
Google car with camera behind me at a stoplight! Waved middle finger at him repeatedly!

Ha Ha well done nin.

Blue it's not the concept of a slider that bothers me, it's just who the F**k thought "slider" was the perfect name for a mini burger & why would it catch on? ........ mini burger.

Um .. Behind you...

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2012, 00:33 xXBatmanXx

I was given a 120.00 grill probably from Walmart or Target or Menards when I bought my house. I have been there 7 years, and it is abotu done as well. I grill all year around, and I am surprised the plastic wheels haven't fallen off yet.

I am looking forward to investing in a nice model, but hard to argue that I have really gotten my moneys worth out of this model. Even if I buy another one like this and it only lasts 5 years, I still have a great deal. We shall see. Yard really isn't big enough to do a built in, but that would be friggen awesome.....if I could ever get the wife to move to the burbs.....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 20:19  Blue 

zirik wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 19:42:
PHJF wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 15:32:
White Castle started using smaller burgers so they could cook more of them, faster.

smaller and with holes on the patty so they dont have to flip them over to cook the other side.

They don't flip them? I know the holes help steam pass through and sog up the bun, which is apparently part of the appeal (as a big fan of good hamburgers, I'm not a big fan of White Castle). Didn't know they don't flip them either.

And yes, the idea that a slider might serve as a gateway drug for hamburgers for my niece was in part based on the altered ratio of inside to outside meat, and the natural attraction kids have to small food.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 19:42 zirik

PHJF wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 15:32:
White Castle started using smaller burgers so they could cook more of them, faster.

smaller and with holes on the patty so they dont have to flip them over to cook the other side.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 18:32 nin

Google car with camera behind me at a stoplight! Waved middle finger at him repeatedly!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 16:12 Bodolza

Elessar wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 10:24:
according to reviews and suggestions, this grill should last at least a decade.

Had mine for about 15 years, and it's holding up just fine. I think the most important thing you can do is get a grill cover. If it's not sitting out in the rain, there's much less chance it's going to rust. I also clean the grates after every use, and haven't had to replace them, yet.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 16:02 Cutter

One of the advantage of sliders, or amuse-bouche as it were, is that you can have several of them that are prepared with different meats and condiments. I recall having a trio of them at a restauant once where it was a turkey/cran/garlic aioli, waygu beef/emmenthal/bun brushed with herbed olive oil, bison/sharp chedder/and some kind of sauce. Twas lurvley indeed.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 15:32 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 14:04 Verno

Hoop wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 13:01:
So a slider is just a small hamburger?
I don't get it.

For a lot of people it's all about portion control these days and sliders appeal to that demographic.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 13:55 jacobvandy

Sliders being tiny makes people feel better about wolfing down a dozen or so at a time... Though the size might be important to the way they taste, I'm not sure.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 13:26 Enahs

Jedi Master wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 13:20:
See White Castle and Crystal Burgers. For some reason, while people don't tend to go for 2 smaller hot dogs, 2 smaller steaks, or 2 smaller lobster tails vs 1, with burgers it seems to appeal to people. Similar idea to chicken nuggets I guess.

It is a ratio thing. For instance, the smaller the chicken nugget you have the larger surface area per unit volume increases. Thus, the smaller the nugget the more crispy coating there is!

That is per unit volume. I am not saying one small nugget has more coating then 1 large nugget. But 3 small nuggets that add up to the same as amount of chicken as 1 larger nugget will have more crust!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 13:23 Enahs

Hoop wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 13:01:
I don't get it.

Cause he was thinking they would be cute looking to a little girl?

- W. C. Fields

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 13:20 Jedi Master

See White Castle and Crystal Burgers. For some reason, while people don't tend to go for 2 smaller hot dogs, 2 smaller steaks, or 2 smaller lobster tails vs 1, with burgers it seems to appeal to people. Similar idea to chicken nuggets I guess.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 13:14 Enahs

It is rather easy and not all the costly to build your own brick grill (if you are going to run it off charcoal). It is a fun little weekend project.  

- W. C. Fields

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 13:01 Hoop

I don't get it.

Um .. Behind you...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 12:58 Cutter

Yeah, for the amount of grilling you seem to do, Blue it's definitely worth investing some more coin and getting a really good grill that'll last. Hrm, now I want a brat and some kraut and brown mustard.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Chrome Mar 26, 2012, 11:29 Quboid

I'm trying out Chrome, since Firefox has been being a bitch lately. Anyone care to recommend some extensions?

One thing I miss is the Firefox extension I had where I could right-click and change tab with the scroll wheel, so I could do the equivalent of Ctrl+Tab by right-click+scroll wheel down. (Edit: Smooth Gestures lets me set this, yay!)

- Quboid

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 11:18 DNForever

I'm sayin an 80 dollar park style grill. Cement it in and you're in BIZNESS.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 10:24 Elessar

I ran into the same problem buying $200-300 grills every 3-5 years, so I finally put down some cash on a Weber grill (about $450) and according to reviews and suggestions, this grill should last at least a decade. Might be worth considering!  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo